CB750 shifter feeling funky

legitmw

Been Around the Block
So I took my transmission cover off to fix the oil that was always dripping out. Laid some liquid gasket down and slapped it back on and now the shifter feels really weird. I can shift through all the gears but it takes a lot more effort than before and doesnt spring back to position. It just sits where it's pressed. Wtf caused this? Could some liquid gasket just have gotten on the shaft and caused it to not move as freely? It shifted fine before.

It would help to know which cover you took off (I'm assuming the right side clutch cover) and exactly where you applied the liquid gasket. Pics might help also.

Left side shifter cover. I took it back off and it shifted and returned fine without the cover. And then put it back on and it worked fine. It only began to be hard to actuate when I tightened down the 3 right lower screws nearest the shifter. I'm thinking I need a new shift shaft oil seal possibly. If I back all three screws out a tiny bit it moves fine.

check if the shaft is bent or twisted as well as the thickness of the gasket

I used liquid gasket because I had it here and didnt want to wait on ordering a real one. How could the thickness affect it?

legitmw said:
I used liquid gasket because I had it here and didnt want to wait on ordering a real one. How could the thickness affect it?
think about it
you need a gasket

legitmw said:
I always keep a few rolls of gasket material lying around just in case I have to pull something apart and/or I tear a gasket. That way you don't have wait for shipment. It's cheap and just as easy as keeping liquid gasket around.

A good trick I read on here to is to put a little bit of never sieze on the side cover gaskets if you have to pull them a few times during a build the gaskets may seep a tiny bit of oil but they come off without sticking, once you have sorted the motor and clutch etc you can put a fresh clean set on to stop the slight leaking that can happen, personally I have been able to leave the never seize coated gaskets on most of the time without them leaking. It saves you having to buy new or cut new while working on a bike. Your mileage may vary but it works for me.

What they're getting at is that without a gasket, SOMETHING is pressing down on the shaft. In the manufacturing of engines, they take into account gasket thickness... Sometimes you need that extra millimeter or stuff can touch.

If it has a gasket when you take it apart, put a gasket back on

its a honda not a harley

precision machinery

gasket presence type and thickness matter

Back
Top Bottom