Dumb taillight electrical question

raptormeat

Been Around the Block
My tailight stays on, even when the ignition key is off and out of the switch, it just started doing this.....wtf?

Sounds like you have a hot 12v wire that shouldn't be hot. Did you do any wiring or wiring changes to the bike? Ignition switch could be possibly failing too?

well i should clarify, it is just the brake light that comes on when the lever is pressed/squeezed. but even when the ignition is off. so yeah, a hot wire somehow, the ignition switch has good continuity where/when its supposed to (it better it was 40 bucks!) so somehow, my green/yellow wire is getting power when its not supposed to....investigation continues....

I'm assuming this is a Honda since you mention green/yellow wire.

The green/yellow wire will only have voltage if one of the two brake switches are engaged. The switches are meant to get power from black wires which, in turn, should only have power if your ignition switch is on.

If the black wires in your harness have power with the ignition switch turned off, then you've got some issues you want to sort out pretty quickly, as your ignition switch isn't actually doing anything. :p

What's more likely, is that one or both of the brake switches are not being fed from the black wires like they should be. Check to see if someone has attached any additional wires to the positive terminal of the battery or the starter solenoid. You should only have the thick black wire for the solenoid, red wire from the ignition, and red/white wire from the rectifier. In the case of the ignition and rectifier wires, each of these should go directly to their respective components without making any stops along the way (other than the fuse box, in the case of the red wire).

Back
Top Bottom