'72 Norton restoration

Stay Safe Goldy you guys are going to get hammered with snow. we're getting off lucky with only 15-20cm you guys are in the 50+ range!

Thanks Maritime...frigging horrible outside right now (1:40pm)...still have power, but not sure if it will stay on or not. Snow isn't really the problem...its the bloody wind...must be bordering on Hurricane force. It's howling off the lake like a banshee and the house is creaking and groaning like an old schooner, much more of this and I may end up living in Prospect Bay...or the merry old land of Oz! Another 12 hours of this shit. No fun!

Maritime said:
Stay Safe Goldy you guys are going to get hammered with snow. we're getting off lucky with only 15-20cm you guys are in the 50+ range!

It's a good day for you to rub some liniment on your foot, crack open a few Moose and read bike magazines and Do The Ton.

Brian

CrabsAndCylinders said:
It's a good day for you to rub some liniment on your foot, crack open a few Moose and read bike magazines and Do The Ton.

Brian

More likely to be a kieth's or two in Goldy's neck of the woods. Hope power stayed on for you or that you have heat without it. We made out fine here but you guys got zonked.

There I was this morning, engine roaring strongly, the powerful vibration coming up through the handlebars...Just got in from 2 1/2 hours of snowblowing, it's the only thing with two wheels I'll be driving today! A LOT of drifting..some places almost bare, others five feet deep. Still very windy, but not nearly as bad as it was 24 hours ago. We were very, very lucky, power stayed on, but I was ready with the generator and a kerosene heater should that fail. More of this white crud on the way tomorrow evening...Yes, Keith's IPA for lunch! Hummm...I think I'm hijacking my own thread. :) I doubt that I'll get much done on the Commando this week, but with a little luck maybe next week will be a little nicer.

Ha I know about the snow blowing, did an hour yesterday and have about an hour today to get the rest cleaned up. Enjoy the Keith's one of may favourite beers!

Well, I didn't have to drink too much beer to deal with the snow...and the nasty weather has relented (for now). Meanwhile I got my butt back in the shop and got a few more things done on this project. Fabricated an oil pressure gauge...this is something I wanted to fit after that crank shaft end repair just to feel confident in the repair. The unit shows pressure after kicking the bike about six times and oil is returning to the tank at a good rate...Soon going to be time to boot this thing to life, but I'll wait until I get the mufflers first. I've picked out a nice shade of Brit Racing Green metallic, but I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit before spraying it. Made some repairs to the seat pan and am now ready for a seat cover...as you can see, it was in pretty serious need of attention.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 317
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 315
Got the seat pan repaired, made a new mounting bracket. After that patched up the seat foam, coated the whole lot in 1/4" foam and got the cover on. Just have to fit the strap and it'll be all done. Mufflers came in too. Did some body work on the side covers and getting started on the fuel tank.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 304
  • 004 (6).jpg
    004 (6).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 306
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 308
Thanks Paul...is that your John Player Special on Ebay? Should get some serious money for that beauty.

Yes, that's my JPN. At the base bid, I'm just over minimum wage for 200+ hours I have into it...

Such is life.

Nice work Goldy, I am heading to your neck of the woods tonight to visit my sister for a few days. Hope the Cobiquid pass isn't messy they were calling for snow tonight and we'll be going through there in the dark and it is the worst stretch of highway in the province when it snows.

Cheers.

Thanks M. I think it's supposed to be clear tonight, so you should have a decent trip, enjoy the weekend. :)

Things are slowing down a little as I approach the finish of this project. Just a few more things to do...change a bad front brake light switch, tighten the exhaust, fit a rear brake safety spring and some fuel cocks. The machine is sitting in black primer...I will wait until the weather gets a little warmer before painting it...and I have decided to wait until it is warm enough to test ride it before I put the rest of the oil in the tank and start it up...no point in having it sit idle for a month.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 293
Ok...those little odd jobs are all finished. Just marking time now until the weather gets a little better.

Yes, finally getting warmer. A death in the family has left me holding the bag. What with cleaning out an apartment and dealing with all the other legal shit I don't have a great deal of free time lately, but "This too shall pass". The owner has finally got the ball rolling with getting it registered. If not today, then soon, very soon... :)

OK Nate...I think you lit a fire under my arse. This morning after posting the last response, I put some oil in the tank, hooked up the IV unit, added some fuel, connected the battery and gave her the boot.
Started on about the fifth kick...not bad for a temperature of 8 degrees and the ignition timing just at the initial setting. Engine sounds 'right'...good strong exhaust note and a nice smooth idle...even better after I adjusted the carbs and got the timing light on it and dialed it in. Ran the gearbox through its paces and tested the charging system....all good! The sun was even out today, so I decided it was about time to get some colour on the side covers and tank...sporting a nice metallic shade of deep green. Click the link to see the crappy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mLOdBChrLc&feature=youtu.be

Back
Top Bottom