GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Copper vomit

Ha, I knew those lines from somewhere but couldn't place it, Offspring rock.

Oh an now I have their stuff in my head and will be digging the CD out tonight to listen to when wrenching

Little bit of progress tonight. I started running the wires according to the manual (thanks again Pete! You ever need any help with a GR, you know who to turn to.....). I didn't get all the connections plugged in, but enough to get this:

photobucket-42168-1358492191473.jpg

Matter of fact, all the connections that I DID hook up need taken apart, cleaned, and greased up. But I also need to replace the R/R along with the wires coming from the GS500 stator (different connectors than the GS450's). I also noticed that my neutral, gear indicator, and oil pressure lights aren't working. No big deal now, since it's still a work in process.

With my newly acquired ramp, I was able to get the 450 off the bench. Once it was on the ground, I just had to put some of the body back on and sit it. It's starting to look like one of those things.....what are they called? Oh yeah! A motorcycle! Been a while since it was a "pile o' parts":

photobucket-56426-1358492192325.jpg

Nice Rich. I am going in the other direction on the CX, Can't wait till I start the reverse, always love putting them back together.

Big Rich said:

Rich,
Not sure if you are building the 450 as a keeper or not. I have my 83 gauges I am not using for my project. Internals are good the exterior is kinda trashed. It has the higher MPH speedo if you are interested in swapping it out. Should fit in your housing no issue.

Just throwing it out there. I know how people (most) hate the 80 MPH max speedos from those years.

Gary

Awesome progress Rich! Nice to see her sitting on her own two wheels again :D

I still have my stock gauges too and all the bulbs and my LED conversion bulbs too (home made hack job though) so let me know if you want me to post them... possibly too much hassle for such little items though...

If I ever go the GR path I'll be sure to ask ;)

I think a Kat will arrive first though... haha

As for the Offspring... one of my favourite bands ever, and that quote is my second favourite after Nitro... You stupid dumbshit god damn motherfucker!!! Love that song :D

1) +1 to the Offspring topic, dig em a lot since I picked up "Smash" when it was new... Last of the original punks... as far as I know but then, I was part of The Clash generation. ;)
2) "Copper Vomit" ? LOL

Gary - that's awesome of you man! I'm not too sure about swapping gauges though......only because I know the stock units aren't known for accuracy......and if I was doing a "top speed" test, I would go by GPS anyway. But hold onto them in case I change my mind!

Pete - thanks as well buddy! I put a couple led's in already, but not all of them. I may have to look into that some more......

Hoosier - I think of that term every time I see a wiring harness completely unplugged. It looks like a bike is spewing wires...... and the Offspring is one of my favorite bands. Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, etc.....all tops.

No worries Rich, although don't forget mine are hacked up home made jobbies... haha

Offspring's definitely a favourite for me! Along with AC/DC, Midnight Oil, ZZ Top... yeah I don't like much new stuff :eek:

Re: GS450 "Sport" - updated R/R

Pete, ever listen to "Rise Against"? They're one of my new favorites.

So my GS500 R/R came in yesterday. Here's a shot of the 500's next to the 450's:

photobucket-28495-1359095082882.jpg

I think it's obvious which one is a 33 year old part....... and for the keen observers - Yes, the bolt spacing is the same. Yes, the overall dimensions are VERY similar. So yes, it does bolt right in to the stock location! And since I used a GS500 stator as well, the 3 wires between the two have the proper connection. I will have to wire in the live and ground wires - not worried about that though.

I do have a couple loose ends around the wiring though. Turn signals, blade type fuse holder, extend / shorten a couple wires, etc.. I did however, mount up a new headlight:

photobucket-40354-1359095082030.jpg

For some silly reason, I didn't get a pic of the actual headlight.....oops.

I forgot to post these here!

I got a helluva deal on a rear wheel from a 78 GS400. When I went to pick it up, the seller threw in the front wheel for free! Not sure what the front is from, since that model bike had a disc brake. Either way, it's pretty looking. Plan is to have a spare set of wheels / tires hanging in the garage "just in case". I already have a 19" spoked wheel hanging out there......just needed the 18" rear to make a set!

photobucket-57979-1358900027546.jpg

Good score on the spokes Rich! Should do the job nicely...

Mekanix over on the GSR is doing up a GS500 at the moment and he's been pointing out all the common components with the 450's... I'm not surprised there's so much in common but it's good to get confirmation.

It looks like there's a definite alternative to the Dynatek ignition for our 450's now too... the GS500 setup :)

Never heard of Rise Against actually, will have to go have a look-see...

Don't think I have really said much of anything thus far but great build Rich and nice score on the wheels. Subscribed for sure.

Thanks Pete! I need to browse around over there more often. Mekanix is awesome for the twins......I figured he would be getting into the 500's soon enough.

Thanks Dane! This one is kind of "tame" compared to some stuff going on around here. But we all love a good GS, don't we?

Only one picture for all my progress last night:

photobucket-49231-1359193239041.jpg

Replaced the old glass fuse with a mini blade type. All the connections outside of the headlight bucket got cleaned, greased, and reconnected. The R/R and igniter got dedicated ground wires to a common point, and the starter relay WILL get a dedicated ground to the same point......once I get more terminal connectors. I also need to wire up the coils - the stock coils have a specific 2 pin connection, and I need some 90° female connectors for the spare GR650 coils I'm using.

The good news: everything that I can test without the motor running works just fine so far. And I don't see any problems in the future either......but generally don't anyway. Ha!

Good stuff Rich, that looks *exactly* like my glass fuse replacement... same type of waterproof blade holder and everything haha

Thanks gents!

I need to move that "common ground" point still. Right now everything is on the negative terminal, and I ran out of terminal rings. Bought some more today, so that will fix that! Also, I will be getting some GS500 coils instead of the GR coils that I have planned.......

Back
Top Bottom