Picked up a 2600 Original mile CD175 this past weekend.

harriscommajim

First of all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. After owning many bikes throughout my life, I've taken a cafe racer project on a partial trade. Mwahahaha. 15hp at 9500 rpm. Read it and weep!

M7fHGmo.jpg

HtXSeDo.jpg

I had a CD175 several years ago. Cool little bike. I ran 2 Motogiros with it. Lots of fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I love toaster tanks, had many. They are actually pretty good around town if set up properly. Funny thing, hadn't seen any CD175's for decades and now they seem to be everywhere. I almost bought one a few weeks back, but my BSA is scattered all over the garage, and I need to work on the Sporty and Bonneville. Looks like you got a neat one, it'll be a blast to ride.

cool little bike!! They've been taking my eye lately too.

Looks like you got a clean one to start with too. Nice.

Got some drag bars going on, new rear shocks. I'm rewiring for 12 volt and stripping the fenders, headlight bucket and fork covers. Once the wiring is complete, I'll be switching to all LED lighting to keep the original stator. Sorry, sent from my phone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great choice!
I am a bit biased...
Here's Tidler today out for a ride after I re-did the seat last weekend.
92be35b388513d029f1078c80289a197.jpg

Best mod I've made for rideability is the longer stiffer rear shocks, also 6v electrics suck, go 12v with a CB/CL stator, you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex jb said:
Great choice!
I am a bit biased...
Here's Tidler today out for a ride after I re-did the seat last weekend.
92be35b388513d029f1078c80289a197.jpg

Best mod I've made for rideability is the longer stiffer rear shocks, also 6v electrics suck, go 12v with a CB/CL stator, you won't regret it.

Now that is a sharp looking ride.

Cheers :)
O/P's (is it Jim?) bike is super clean though, I'd be keeping all the tin work and not hacking any of it, at least storing it for later. lots of my bits were in poor condition or already modded.

Once bulbs and reg/rec were 12v I cooked 2 x 12v batteries with the original stator, although it made 30v ac above 5000rpm and RMS should be ok for 12v charging, it just never kept the battery charged and when deep cycling small regular or AGM batteries they just don't last.
Once I sourced a CL175 stator from a breaker for £30 all was well.

Man, that bike looks great! Thanks for the reply. I'm not cutting any of the metalwork, as it's great shape. I did consider letting the fenders and such ride on ebay, though. I have literally nothing in the bike, as it was a bonus in a car that I flipped. I was my profit from the car. I don't see the bike going up in value very much in the time I'm going to own it, and I'd like someone who is interested in restoring one to have access to the parts rather than them setting in my garage. I really want a cool looking bike (like alemonkey's) that I can putt around town on. I think I'll do all the work I can get in before October and have it a Barber's (I'm in Birmingham) and maybe try trading it for a stock bike with a little bigger cc. I will be painting the tank and tail (If I go with a cafe tail) Honda Championship White, brown leather seat and grips. I'm actually getting torn on which direction I want to go with the style now, cafe or light scrambler. I love both!! Any suggestions or limitations? I haven't seen many non-CL 175 custom scramblers out there. Thanks so much for the info on the 12v swap. I was under the impression that I would be ok with the stator if I'm running all LED lights. D you thin that would that help with frying the batteries? I understand electronics pretty well, but have never attempted to switch anything vehicle from 6v to 12v. I know that I will need a starter solenoid if I want to keep the starter, a reg/rec, all new lights, coil, horn, and flasher relays, per info on this site. Does this bike even have a stock regulator? I haven't dug too deep into it, but I haven't seen it in as far as I've gotten. I started in the rear and I'm working forward. The coil, battery and flasher relays were under the seat. I've owned some stock bikes before (mostly crotch-rockets and dirt bikes in my younger days) and built some custom cars, but never a bike. With a baby on the way, this is a great way to get my tinkering rocks off while not spending the kind of money associated with old cars. Here's a secret.... this is much more fun. To really scream my old R1, you'd take a chance of killing yourself as anything above 7k rpm, solid objects approached blindingly fast. I love that I can wring this thing out in my neighborhood and rarely break the speed limit. Ha! It's great fun. Thanks!

harriscommajim said:
Here's a secret.... this is much more fun. To really scream my old R1, you'd take a chance of killing yourself as anything above 7k rpm, solid objects approached blindingly fast. I love that I can wring this thing out in my neighborhood and rarely break the speed limit. Ha! It's great fun. Thanks!

You hit the nail on the head there buddy!
I have riden Tidler 70 miles on a sunny Sunday without breaking any speed limits and enjoyed the whole ride.

I used to own a Toyota Celica GT4, loved it but it was such an animal it cost me a speeding fine within 3 months and it had to go after 6 it was just too quick as a daily.

I left the original horn, 12v just takes the pitch up some!
I'm told you can use the coil packs too, I bought CB175 ones anyway.

Alex, are those the original wheels? If so, what tires are you running exactly? I've been struggling to fine a good set for the CD. My rear is 3.00 x 17 (tubed), although I'd like to go a quarter inch wider if I could. I measured to the rear drum brace and have about a half-inch without modifications. I don't want to go too wide and hurt the agility and power, but slightly more aggressive for looks. I like yours and would roll those in a heartbeat. It's easier to just ask and throw them on mine than to research, order, return when they don't fit and research some more. Ha!

Also, I just received my throttle tube and original RHD controls from a CB175 to be able to swap to an external throttle instead of the CD's internal. No way I'm going to attempt to drill the aftermarket bars for the internal. I finished polishing the controls and am ready to put bars back on it so I can ride. Problem is, I need a throttle cable and the CB's have dual pull for the carbs. I need a single pull, external throttle cable. Would the generic Honda push/pull single from Dime City work on our bikes?

My tyres are Metzler ME22, they are great for grip and on such a small bike don't seem to wear.
They are 17" x 3.0, it's tempting to go wider, but with original rim width I don't know how well too much wider would work, maybe as far as 3.5 but the choices are limited over here in that size.

Back
Top Bottom