79 CX500 mods...

phillgripper

79 CX500
I have 2 Honda CX500's 1 to bob and 1 to cafe. I really like the look of pod filters but was told by the people at my local honda moto shop that they would be "too much of a hassle" and that "I would never get my bikes running right if I put pods on and removed the air box." I've seen a lot of CX's on here with pods so...pod filters, good idea or bad idea?

the thing about pod filters is that unless you are planning on p&p'ing and using a header that allows more flow, you are going to run into trouble tuning your bike properly. the stock airbox is there for a reason. you will actually have better performance from the airbox w/ a performance filter over pods on a stock motor.

the guys at the shop are correct that it is a lot of work, but if you're willing to do it, pods are a nice upgrade and look awesome too!

anybody can correct me if i'm wrong, this is just my understanding!

Over at the CX/GL forum the word is, 90/120 for individual air filter and headers. I had 90/122 on my CX500 with two into one headers. It ran pretty well with that combo. I now run Mikuni TM-38 flatslides from a snowmobile. Which is interesting.
Cheers, 50gary

The TM-38 flatslides have the same mount diameter as the standard carburetors so they fit on the CX spigot inlets. They are spaced differently so you must re-rack them wider by 25 mm to 160mm then comes the choke linkage, and throttle pull. I use a single cable as the new carbs are linked mechanically (part of the re-racking) the real work is in the jetting (no surprise here) I run a set of header that I made from scratch 2/1 ceramic coated with a cut down (12") carbon sportbike slip-on muffler. When buying the carbs (ebay for fairly cheap) make sure you get a pair that don't have pressed in needles, the pressed in needles are hard to tune around. You can press them out but it's more work added. The flatslides are great, they have very quick throttle response, they even sound cool as the slides click at idle sort of like a Ducati with a dry clutch announcing how serious they are. The performance is the really interesting part, the bike (to me) doesn't feel like a 500cc bike, it pulls very strong especially in the upper rpm ranges. My jetting is 15/200 not perfect but it idles fine with a hesitation off idle. If you can afford it just buy TM-38 flatslides from Sudco. Sorry for the thread jack.
Cheers, 50gary

Thats awesome. Do you have any video or pics of you bike with this setup? Preferrably a video because I really want to see and hear it, but pics will suffice.

I'll post a picture soon
Cheers, 50gary
http://title
CXon7-5-11forMotus001.jpg image by 50gary

50gary, I sure would like more details on your using those TM38 carbs. I have exhausted google, yamaha, skidoo, and artic cats parts diagrams searching for carbs with threaded needle jets but, have found nothing.

Thanks
Mike

38 flat slides are to big for street use on a cx500

i have even tried 36mm flat slides they will work but still to big for lower speed city driving

and just attaching the 38/36 s to the stock intake will result in them falling off in a backfire situation or when its hot

cxman said:
38 flat slides are to big for street use on a cx500

i have even tried 36mm flat slides they will work but still to big for lower speed city driving

and just attaching the 38/36 s to the stock intake will result in them falling off in a backfire situation or when its hot
I would not disagree with that statement, I mentioned the same to Mike H. and others, (I get quite a few inquires about my CX500) in a personal message today. The carburetors fit the CX manifolds and that's seductive, lures you into thinking it'll be fine. I'm not well enough schooled in carburetor setup and tuning to get these working like a factory could. I have another set of Yamaha sled carbs that are smaller flatslides @ 36mm? Bear in mind these are 2t carbs not 4 stroke so a lot of changes are required to make them work.
Cheers, 50gary

gary i have 36mm flat slides on my stomper cx its a bored out 650 and they work well on it '

but 36s are to big for a 500 and will bog a lot

and flat slides are really designed to be used in wide open mode the throttle slides and body guides wear badly in street use

I would say that sounds about right. I've been thinking about putting the stock carbs back on?
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom