Would you buy this cx500?

Haha I love how my one post about a cx has garnered this much convo. Now that we've covered everything from cam chain tensioners to circle jerks, I'd just like to say that I'm buying it on Monday.

I'm not set on the exact style that I'll go for yet, but I plan on upgrading the brakes to dual discs, swapping in mikuni carbs, shedding weight with non essentials, and updating the ignition.

If I wanted a fast bike I'd buy another r6. If I want to ride a comfortable bike I'll take the road star 1600 out, and if I want to ride an uncomfortable cafe I'll take the kz440 out. I like the cx because it's unique, looks weird, and is a conversation starter (as this thread is a witness to) lol

deviant said:
I like CX's. The motor looks a lot like a Moto Guzzi's. I'd always thought to take a bullet proof CX motor and combine some Moto Guzzi stylings. One day I will.

Some of the sporting Guzzis do look really good. Part of that is the big cylinders which the CX doesn't have, but with a revised rear frame section and a Guzzi like tank and seat it might be possible to pick up on styling clues/design elements. The motor is still a bit of an ugly duckling but if the rest of the bike looks good, it might work.

There was a guy in Australia that raced a CX and it looked pretty good. Very simple if I recall.

I think the biggest issue with Honda's design of the CX frame (at least the rear of it) is it's basically a GL frame. Much better suited for the boxer engine, which is clearly a prettier motor. I've also noticed there seems to be a link between GL lovers and CX lovers. The CX is somewhat of an ugly step child to the GL.

deviant said:
I think the biggest issue with Honda's design of the CX frame (at least the rear of it) is it's basically a GL frame. Much better suited for the boxer engine, which is clearly a prettier motor. I've also noticed there seems to be a link between GL lovers and CX lovers. The CX is somewhat of an ugly step child to the GL.
Not to be a dick but this is completely wrong. The gl is actually the stepchild of the cx, and they have the same engine. Gl is is just a cx dresser.

The GL came first. The GL is a boxer and the CX is a v twin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deviant said:
The GL came first. The GL is a boxer and the CX is a v twin

where are you getting this bad info?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_gl500_silver_wing%2082.htm

Gl500 is a cx variant. Just because its a "wing" doesnt automatically make it a boxer :eek:

I was referring to the entire GL line. The rear frame of the CX is very much like the rear frame if a GL1000 too. I was not specifically referring to a GL500. I wasn't referring to the Silverwing at all.

deviant said:
I was referring to the entire GL line. The rear frame of the CX is very much like the rear frame if a GL1000 too. I was not specifically referring to a GL500. I wasn't referring to the Silverwing at all.

Oh well in that case my electric scooter has tires.

Seriously? Look at the frames. It's a complete departure for Honda. And it's unique to those three lines of bikes. But I get it. Frame geometry is irrelevant to how a bike looks. Just like tires.

deviant said:
Seriously? Look at the frames. It's a complete departure for Honda. And it's unique to those three lines of bikes. But I get it. Frame geometry is irrelevant to how a bike looks. Just like tires.

No thats not what im saying. To me comparing a goldwing and a cx is out of context, just like my scooter comment, which is what made it hard to interpret the meaning of my message.

See how I did that. Good talk. We should do this more often.

They are not out of context come from a design perspective. Shoichiro Irimajiri designed the GL1000. Honda put him to the task of designing a lower weighted, smaller displacement version. He came up with the CX. They are designed by the same designer, and thus have common elements. Much of this conversation has been about the ugliness of the CX. I was touching on that point of the conversation.

deviant said:
They are not out of context come from a design perspective. Shoichiro Irimajiri designed the GL1000. Honda put him to the task of designing a lower weighted, smaller displacement version. He came up with the CX. They are designed by the same designer, and thus have common elements.
Agreed.

In the context of a discussion about the CX500, mentioning and comparing a gl will always lead some to believe you are referring to a gl500. That is all.

eric

next time you are down here take my gl500 cafe that has a modded 650 motor in it for a ride

once you get the grin off it will probably stop you from ignoring them

Failure is a hard thing to accept.
cx500-turbo.jpg

deviant said:

And like the GL (1000) it is not easy to make it look like a classic design without surgery. If the frame is going to be modified, I like the Guzzi idea. A well designed monshock rear end with high seat could alse work, but not exactly old skool looks. There's an orange cafe race GL1000 around that looks good but seriously modified. I'd entertain the idea of turning a GL1800 int a cafe racer/streetfighter. There's one out west with a modern sportbike look, so almost anything is possible.

jbeebe said:
Howdy-ho friends,

Because I really need a third mc in the garage, and another cafe project, i'm thinking of buying a cx500. It's the deluxe with ~40k miles on it. Otherwise decent shape, starts and runs. I plan on stripping it completely down to do a cafe build anyway.

$500, would you do it!?!?

got myself a similar deluxe model with only 11,000 miles on it in the UK for £300 (~$480)

Doing a street scrambler project with it, high level BSA bushman type exhausts, knobbly ish tyres, cadbury's chocolate chromatic sating metallic purple tank, chocolate coloured leather ribbed seat, Harley Davidson LED 'day maker' headlight and that about it really- shave off the ugly :)

91cba719bcbce6f4fdbae7e6130ff908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom