Would you buy this cx500?

I have a '79CX500 at home. Thing starts everytime and that motor runs smooth as silk. When you get on it hard the bike kinda torques left and right, really unique feeling. This has been a fun discussion to read haha just buy the damn thing.

Bought! Before I tear down/rebuild it this winter I'll do simple things like oil, valve adj, cam chain tension, and plugs just to see how good it'll run. It runs decent now, but the exhaust h-box is leaking which is what I think is causing a lot of hesitation when coming off idle.

jbeebe said:
Bought! Before I tear down/rebuild it this winter I'll do simple things like oil, valve adj, cam chain tension, and plugs just to see how good it'll run. It runs decent now, but the exhaust h-box is leaking which is what I think is causing a lot of hesitation when coming off idle.

Congrats!

when first staring the bike cold, continually check both pipes at idle to see if one is taking longer than the other to get hot. Clogged pilots seemed to be a somewhat regular thing with one of mine.

Good lord those exhaust extensions in front of the mufflers is sooooooooo ugly.!!! It deffinitly needs to go on a diet as well lol

Midwestgl500 said:
Good lord those exhaust extensions in front of the mufflers is sooooooooo ugly.!!! It deffinitly needs to go on a diet as well lol

Hahaha I know, it's crazy some of the stuff the PO did. He bought it 1yr used in 1982 and put 40k miles on it since.

His exact words: "every girlfriend I've ever had has been on the back of this bike" haha

That seat is just god awful
Chuck the carbs in the ultra sonic and put a fuel filter on her as well

Go on the CX forum, you may be able to unload the fairing and luggage

i have 5-6 of those fugly seats if you want to start a collection of them

i love the bagger exhaust extensions

Back
Top Bottom