Who's in Nashville?

I'm in Memphis. We have a small club a year old called the Memphis Mummies. We are throwing our second event to benefit Le Bonheur Children's Hospital on Sept 10. Check out our page www.memphismummies.com. We still have to get the art work done for the fliers and hand bills.

I am building and doing all my own work. Too easy not to. Plan to start building customs on the side, but I will be moving next summer as will my side business. Hope to meet some of you soon. Anyone attending Barber Vintage Oct 7-9?

I live in Nashville. I have only seen 1 shop that does cafe work and I dont know if he is any good. I have an 80 CB650 that I want to start converting but I have my V card in bike building and riding :( Looking to for advise and then maybe I will be on the road this fall ready for Natchez Trace. Where do I start? Clubmans wont work so what tank will fight with out any welding? Same question on seat?

I am in Nash. I like older jap bikes. Currently I am working on a BMW cafe. I work at that place on Fesslers Lane.

I'm in Nashville. I've been riding with some guys every Thursday night on the East Side. There is a pretty good facebook group called 'Pseudo Moto' that I've been keeping up with: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/233311480019044/

We have been looking for more riders for the Thursday meet up. Usually its older midweight Japanese bikes, but I've got a Kawasaki W650, another guy has a bmw r-100, and there's even a guy on a little kit 250 Yamaha bobber, so it's for whoever wants to ride. Let me know if you're interested.

Nice guys, good to hear there are some people around in to cafe racers. I am still not able to get my bike running yet. imgeno - do you know much about cb650's? I am wanting to convert my 81 in to a racer but the frame sucks for that. I found a 78 cb750 supersport frame in KY and was curious is the swap would be easy. If not then I will need to cut the frame of the 81 cb650 to level the seat out in order to get the racer look. I would love to hear your thoughts and see what you think about it.
Seems like a good group. I will check in to it and once I get my bike done then maybe I will be able to get out with you guys.

nashbuilder said:
Nice guys, good to hear there are some people around in to cafe racers. I am still not able to get my bike running yet. imgeno - do you know much about cb650's? I am wanting to convert my 81 in to a racer but the frame sucks for that. I found a 78 cb750 supersport frame in KY and was curious is the swap would be easy. If not then I will need to cut the frame of the 81 cb650 to level the seat out in order to get the racer look. I would love to hear your thoughts and see what you think about it.
Seems like a good group. I will check in to it and once I get my bike done then maybe I will be able to get out with you guys.
The CB650 is a great bike and bullet proof as well. I had one for a while, it had over 30,000 miles on it and ran like it was new. Going for a frame swap can be a tall order. MY experence has been it is easier to use the frame that was made for the engine. If you really want to go crazy, drop the 650 engine into a featherbed Norton frame! You will have LOTS of power and a bike that handles like you will not believe.Trust me, in the curves NOTHING will touch you.

Hey fellas, Im in Mount Juliet a little east of Nashville building cafs in the garage. Finished a 1980 KZ650F, rode it for a bit and sold it. About to start a 78 KZ650 caf and going in a slightly diferent direction than last time. Learn a lot taking the ricers down to the nuts and bolts. Totally different theory than a Trumpet. Im riding a Ducati S4R at the moment and want to get into another Triumph or Norton. But it doesnt matter so much its the cafe attitude.
Anyways where do you guys ride when you ride on Thursdays or any other day that ends in Y?
I wanted to see if anyone had a club or wanted to start one here in NashVegas related to the caf scene?
Im happy to see some others around here that arent hog riders i must say.
Maybe we could invade PJR speedshop. Just something to do.
Anyone going to Barber next month?

I am trying to work on my CB650 today. As soon as I started rolling it in to my "shop" the front tire will not role. Do I need to take my brake assembly off to get it to role or does anyone have any other idea of why its not rolling. Been sitting for 2 years now.

Hey man, i assume your talking about the front disk.
Maybe youve figured this out by now, but if you havnt you may need to let the pressure off the pad by letting the bleeder loose and prying the pad back with large flat screwdriver carefully.
Or if it was sitting in a damp place the bearing may have seized up a bit.
Anyway hope you got it rolling.
Im going to pick up a CB500, 550 or 650 or 750 sometime this week for my next project.
If you need more help just say so.

Hope you get it running

Hope you find a good bike cole. I am not a fan of this 650 because of the frame. But when it is given to you then you have to make it work.

I just took the caliper off but I believe the piston is completely locked up. I have blown air in it, tried pushing it back in a little with a c clamp and it wont move at all. Any ideas how to get it out?

Is this your brake caliper?
You said you blew air in it, did you blow air into the fluid bleed screw after loosening it? Was there any fluid in the caliper cylinder?
It sounds as if the oil seal on the caliper has fuzed to the pad and caliper. Id try soaking in break free like marvels . Your going to have to rebuild it anyway.
BTW i picked up a 71 CB450 and picking up a 75 CB550 tomorrow, let me know if you get tired of the CB650. It will round out my collection HAHAHAHA.

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• page15-00-front-brakes.jpg
    page15-00-front-brakes.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 345
  • page15-09.jpg
    page15-09.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 334
nashbuilder said:
Hope you find a good bike cole. I am not a fan of this 650 because of the frame. But when it is given to you then you have to make it work.

I just took the caliper off but I believe the piston is completely locked up. I have blown air in it, tried pushing it back in a little with a c clamp and it wont move at all. Any ideas how to get it out?

The way to get that puppy out is to keep it hooked to the brake line and "pump" it out with the master cyl. Then you can clean it up and reassemble with some brake grease. Gene

ColeTrain Cycle said:
Hey fellas, Im in Mount Juliet a little east of Nashville building cafs in the garage. Finished a 1980 KZ650F, rode it for a bit and sold it. About to start a 78 KZ650 caf and going in a slightly diferent direction than last time. Learn a lot taking the ricers down to the nuts and bolts. Totally different theory than a Trumpet. Im riding a Ducati S4R at the moment and want to get into another Triumph or Norton. But it doesnt matter so much its the cafe attitude.
Anyways where do you guys ride when you ride on Thursdays or any other day that ends in Y?
I wanted to see if anyone had a club or wanted to start one here in NashVegas related to the caf scene?
Im happy to see some others around here that arent hog riders i must say.
Maybe we could invade PJR speedshop. Just something to do.
Anyone going to Barber next month?

I am going to Barber on the seventh. Riding my trusty CB360. Gene

Wish i could go down to Barber, but ill be out of town thru the 8th and will be recovering the 9th, even though if i could get away with it with the wife, id jump on the Ducati and head on down.
Ive actually picked up 4 bikes this week and im itching to get started on one of them. 71 cb450, 78 cb550, 75 cb550, 78 cb750 i think. have to go back and look at the frames to make sure.
Im trying to fix sell and trade up to a triumph or bsa.
and im sure there willl be some down there.
waa waa
Have fun

Ok guys I appreciate all the advise. I have probably messed things up and I am hoping my Master Cylinder is still ok. I was unscrewed the hose from the master cylinder thinking that it would release my brake ( before I knew the piston was stuck). When that didnt work I took the caliper off and that is when I determined my piston was stuck. So I have not put the hose back on the master and I have hooked the hose back on to the caliper but I am not getting any fluid down. I have followed the instructions in the manuel for bleeding and nothing. When I first tried to move the bike and the front wheel was not moving I had pressure in the master cylinder.

I am stumped.

You can use a C-clamp to squish the piston back down into the caliper, just to break it free from being seized in the bore. Then use the master cylinder to pump it back out.

Back
Top Bottom