Project Cheap Racer...

What color should i go with on the tank and side plates?

• Brushed Finish

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Dark Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light Caramel Brown

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

kookie31

i built it, therefore its mine...
I have this build posted on another site but wanted to show this around cuz Im very proud of my lil creation and the progress I have made in a month. This is my very first build on my very first bike. Its my take on a cafe racer but as seeing funds are limited (like most builds in the real world) I reused a lot of the original parts or picked up some very cheap parts from the store. I found this 83 Yamaha Seca 750 on craigslist and dealed it down to $500. So far Im at about $100 into it.

Here it is the night I brought it home
P1013878.jpg

P1013879.jpg

Then the next day I got her tore down, flipped and reversed the bars, removed the exhaust and cleaned her up and sprayed everything a satin black and the tank caramel latte
P1013893.jpg

P1013894.jpg

I picked up a new headlight and tail light and tried to make a fiberglass seat
P1013907.jpg

P1013908.jpg

I ditched the fiberglass seat and made a metal one (turn out much better). Added some LED tail/ brake lights and painted it to match the tank
Image12302010122435-1.jpg

Image01032011204516.jpg

Here she is as of today
Image01042011075716.jpg

Image01042011075745.jpg

A few things not mentioned: I made a completely new wire harness (to get rid of a lot of unneeded wires, new speedo, new mirror, new and updated fuse box, LED turn signals and new grips.

Almost done with the bike. Still need to get some material for the seat and tidy up the wiring for the rear end.

Im loving how this is turning out and would love to here what you guys think about it

Re: Project Cheap Racer

Cool man. Glad to hear youre having fun with it. Thats what its all bout. Thanks for sharing, and keep the updates coming!

Thx I'm taking a lot of pride in this becuz I making it with my own two hands. (only power tool I'm using is a drill). Is it perfect? Maybe not in the eyes of some show judges but this isnt for them. Its for me and in my eyes its perfect. I'm not building a show bike for the masses. I building a bike that I want from my own two hands. If it turns a few heads cool, if not oh well, I'm still going to rip the tires off it and smile ear to ear the whole time.

Ya man, this scoot is looking good. Keep it up!

Looks good, man. Are the handlebars comfortable like that? I've never ridden on a set of flipped bars.

You echoed the tank lines quite nicely in the seat. Nice work man. I dig it.

Nice Scoot, may I suggest when you do the seat to cover the bolt holes in the tank and the gap. it will look nice. Maybe glass a pan that fits and use high density foam and leather. Something like this:

that seat would look great, good job maritime!

im also curious, how do the bars feel?

Now that's the way to do it!
Fair play to ya!
The top line of the tank just lends it's self to it.
All it needs is a back tyre!

I havent taken her out for a spin yet but just sitting on her the feel fine. It's not that bad to me (I'm 5'11) and i feel more one with the bike and not just sitting on top of it. I will take some pics with me sitting on it later when I get off work.

And I love the seat idea. Pretty much what I was planning on doing (except extending it to cover the tank holes on the side).

cool man, sounds good.
i agree with the bigger tire in the back too, looks good as is though, but if it was in your budget itd be rad.
but like i said, looks fine as is too ;D

honestly thats what I love about this build. being able to build something cool with a lil budget or tools. I think I'm going to keep it the way it is as a wider tire is just out of my budget and means right now. Besides the widest I could go (I think) is a 130 and that wouldn't be that big of a difference.

totally cool man, i can definately understand, and i think it looks good as is, but you know us, always thinking up stuff hahaha.
more pics when you get a chance would be cool.

"Kookie Kookie lend me your comb." that a line from a VERY old TV series called "77 Sunset Strip" Kookie ws played by Ed "Kookie" Burns. Anyway very cool bike I really like the idea of simply expressing yourself with whatever you have to work with. The essence of Hot Rodding is build it yourself. As far as the rear tire I do not recommend wider than standard tires it probably would handle less well as a result, that one looks pretty squared off though replace with original size, maybe a nice Avon Roadrider?
Cheers, 50gary

Thats what this whole hobby is about. got think bigger and better but then its what you want it to look like and what you think is cool.

I will post more pics when I get the wiring wrapped up

Update: Got the lights and the wiring wrapped up and got some foam to start the seat cover
Image01062011180250.jpg

Image01062011180239.jpg

Image01062011180227.jpg

And now the bad news: I went to start it and it cranks but nuthin. choke wide open and nuthin. I put some starting fluid in and it fire right up and screamed like it was at full throttle and then died. I tried to start again and it crank but still didnt start. Now its making a clanking i go to start it and I'm pretty sure its the starter. I'm pretty sure I have spark if it fires with starting fluid. Any ideas? I'm totally lost

When was the last time it ran? Make sure the battery is fully charged and try again. Close the choke too (unless it's 90 degrees where you live). Get some fresh gas if it isn't already, visually check the plugs for spark, double check the timing. If all else fails, it's probably time to pull the carbs off for cleaning/ rebuild.

It ran about a month ago before I tore it down and built it back up. I know I got everything hooked up right otherwise it wouldn't have started with the starting fluid right? I checked the fuel line and fuel is flowing. My guess is the carbs probably need to be cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom