1979 Suzuki GS750N - Slow Restoration

mattfeet said:
I do need a new headlight low beam and taillight running light. Should I just get OEM wattage or is there a modern bulb that I should look into it?

-Matt
As I mentioned, these charging systems are marginal at best in stock form, For the headlight I'd stick to the OEM wattage. But the tail is no big draw on the system either way. Heck, there may be a modern replacement that is more efficient and gives the same candlepower using less wattage.

akaerik21 said:
I am having very similar issues with my 78 gs550, and from what I am reading I think that my hoses are not routed correctly. Does the vacuum hoes that runs from the petcock go to the carbs themselves or to the vent above the cams....any advise would be gratefully appropriated.
The vacuum hose needs to go to "manifold vacuum" that is the vacuum port after the throttle plates on the carbs. I believe the vent above the cams, is just that, a vent... not a vacuum source. Move your hose to the carbs vacuum port.
You will need to crank the engine long enough to generate sufficient vacuum that opens the petcock and allows fuel to flow to the float bowls, fill tem to the proper level, before the engine will fire. Normally when the bike sees regular use, this isn't an issue because there is enough fuel in the bowls to fire the engine up and then the vacuum petcock opens. But my Zook sits a while between runs so it needs to crank a long time before all this will happen. usually kills the battery after the first 5-6 tries if I haven't had it on the trickle charger... :(
But once she comes to life WHOO-HOO!

mattfeet said:
Follow up question: Can I ride the bike with the petcock set to PRIME in the interim as long as I make sure to set it to ON when Im not on the bike?

Matt,
As stated the answer is yes on running on prime. What is more important tan remembering to turn the fuel on when you start riding is to "TURN IT OFF" every time you stop. If for some reason one of your floats is not set right or not sealing you can end up with a mess, gas in the oil, or a flooded engine.

That being said Lots of bike run without the vaccum setup just fine. Just got to get used to the system and shut it off. One issue I had on the 450 origionally was a failure in the vaccum petcock. It was allowing a small amount of fuel to flow directly down the vaccum tube to the carb. This caused a good deal of havoc. If a non vaccum replacement is in your future it may be for the best.

Gary

This post saved my sanity! I have an 81 gsx250 and almost swapped the coils unnecessarily! Haha damn vacuum hose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom