NX650 Urban Dual Sport

I decided that performance and looks again won over being practical with my bank account....

I ordered an XRs Only header pipe (the one for the XR600), and got some stainless tubes to custom make the connection between the new header and the mufflers.

Its gonna be a bit unique, it'll be a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust. Its has some flat track influence. Attached is an incredibly crappy job of mashing up what I have in my head for the 2 into 1 into 2 setup. Everything is ordered so hopefully I can get it welded up asap! It'll for sure be unique, and hold the same design cues as the stock NX650 dual exhaust, but also adds a bit of performance and style.

Other than that, I've just been cleaning up little things here and there as far as wiring goes. So no cool photo stuff yet, just making it more professional looking. Its all in the details.

All the electrical is working amazing on the simplified wiring harness. Lots of soldering and heat shrink! But I like clean and tidy wiring, so I don't mind the tediousness of it.

A rear fender is next on the list. I just need to buy one and chop it up. Then install the rear brake light and were on the road!

I need to have the tank painted. I think I want to do a gloss white with some vintage honda decals, and maybe some Dominator text that looks like its from the 80s haha.

Anyways, here is a representation of what is in my head, and hopefully I can make it real life!

Also! Last note.... started it up last night! I just had the stock headers so it wasn't fully ready, but it idled well and for sure has some good grunt to it! I CANT WAIT to get back to riding this thing. Its been far too long.

Attachments

• Tracker exhaust.PNG
    Tracker exhaust.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 343
  • 80s font.jpg
    80s font.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 339
That is looking so tight, nice work flipper :D

Zorst could snake behind/through the seat subframe triangle and exit under or to the aide of the seat, much like you have mocked up.

Decals - I see stencil style with an irregular three tone stripe across the tank, maybe black/red/white?

Either way, crack on fella.

Thanks NoRiders!

Hmmm.....stencil and stripes sounds pretty solid. I need to be friends with a graphic designer to make some mock up stuff haha.

I was already thinking white for the tank, so it would be cool to add some red back into the scheme.

flip_rip said:
Thanks NoRiders!

Hmmm.....stencil and stripes sounds pretty solid. I need to be friends with a graphic designer to make some mock up stuff haha.

I was already thinking white for the tank, so it would be cool to add some red back into the scheme.

I bought some cheap number decals off ebay, you can get various sizes and mix n match them. White tank with stripes will look wicked I reckon.

Alright alright! Sorry its been so long. A TON has been buttoned up on the NX. Battery box and new lightweight battery are all installed. Wiring is all clean. EXHAUST IS FINISHED! Man I'm stoked on that. First time TIG welding exhaust and it turned out not half bad. No leaks! So that was awesome. All the little things are finally adding up to a lot of progress.

I have just photos for days here. And a final rendering (I did it before I finished the exhaust) to show the simple color scheme I have in mind.

I was able to take it for a test ride and man that thing rips. Its absolutely fantastic. So much low end grunt! Only bummer is that there is a leak in the intake manifold, so a new one is on order. Then just need to rejet it and I should be up and running!

Then paint, making a rear fender, hard mounting the taillight, and getting the gauges set and its time for a proper photo shoot!

Oh - also.....I picked up another project bike! 1978 KZ650 will be next on the chopping block! I want to make myself a fun little city bike that will look really really cool with a girl on the back haha. Just a coffee shop cruiser haha.

Anyways.....photos!

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    951.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    789.2 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    807.3 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    800 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 345
Nice work on that exhaust. I am partial to the kz650s, great bikes. Ive had 2 and am working on a buddies right now, what are your plans for that?

Thanks guys!

Plan for the KZ is switching the ignition system over to a Dyna S and upgrade to the good coils and a 3 phase charging system. Then probably do some head work to clean it up a bit, and make it run a bit smoother. All cylinders have really good compression, but going to some triple angle valve seats and port and polishing should help. Then I'll simplify the wiring harness (PO attempted this and ended up stripping everything out, and now its a mess) so I'll clean up all that crap, rebuild the carbs (already has pod filters) but will probably forego turn signals and any handle bar switches. Hopefully can make some pretty trick hidden buttons for starter and kill switches. Then some nice sticky tires, chop and loop the frame, custom smaller 2 up seat, new shocks, new headlight, new gauges. The overall plan is to keep it pretty lightweight and very minimal.

More of a tracker vibes I guess. I have a set of Renthal UltraLows that I'll throw on. I just can't do the clip ons haha. Too low for me! Lots of cleaning and paining and just keeping things fresh. Oh and a gold chain, have to have a gold chain haha. I'll make a nice small battery box to open up the rear subframe and should have a fun little city cruiser. I'd like to do a tail piece that mimics the stock one, but in a much more subtle way, but we'll see how that goes. I just like that duck tail haha.

I'll get a thread going for that one too. As soon as the NX is running properly and on the road, I'll switch focus to building the KZ.

the tail piece on the 650 is the best part IMO. I personally think all these bikes really need to look awesome is a rear fender delete, and the smaller kz1000ltd fender up front

I totally agree! My KZ's PO decided that the front fender was too much for them and has since been removed. I might be on the lookout for one of the KZ100ldt fenders now!

What are your thoughts on smaller wheels on the KZ? I see that you've done some swaps on yours. How does the bike ride after? I know 18f/17r tires are much easier to come by and wheels can be made lighter going that route, but wanted to get some of your insight on that.

The 1000ltd fender is great I put one my KZ750 project as well.

its a fairly common mod on the KZ1000's to drop to a 18" front. The problem on the 1000 is the motor is VERY wide so any height you loose translates to less of a lean angle. I haven't ridden it yet so I cant comment, but I can tell you my geometry has gotten more aggressive. The 1000 now has 24.5 degrees of rake, 104mm of trail, less fork offset, and custom 2" over shocks. wheelbase has been shortened 1.5" This is similar to what I have seen other guys doing that claim good results and on paper it should work nicely. so I'm hoping it will work well in reality as it is close to the ZRX1200 dimensions. I plan on having to tweak the suspension a bit down the road, maybe change the fork offset/height with custom drop trees.

The kz650 is geometry is setup pretty good from the factory. very nimble and light. On my last kz650 with stock geometry and a pair of hagon shocks I could drag the stock footpegs and stock exhaust on the street if i was giving it the beans, but for regular street riding it never was an issue.
obviously if you lower the bike with smaller wheels you will need to address the pegs and exhaust for sure.

I don't know what your goals are with this bike but if its performance you seek I wouldn't deviate too far from stock geometry. I would be inclined to go with 18" wheels front and back. That will make the geometry a little more aggressive with out sacrificing too much ride height. If you go with 17" wheels there will be more things that need to be addressed if you plan on riding hard, I wouldn't go too fat here as fatter tires require more lean angle, and you've lowered it already at this point.

Ultimately it really depends on how you see yourself using the bike. If you're just gonna cruise do whatever you want. If you want to get the bike to perform better on the road there is a very specific route I would go. we can get into that in another thread if you like.

btw, is this a community shop you are working out of? I'm digging that Aprilia, looks fun.

I would love the KZ to be a canyon ripper. I lean more toward performance rather than looks. I would love to just rally this bike, maybe a 18in setup and sounds like longer rear shocks are the way to go.

Which thread should we move to? Would love to get more conversation going on this!

Also - yup! Its a community DIY shop. Its called Lucky Wheels Garage in Downtown Los Angeles. The Aprilia is another members bike. Man its so sick haha, although I'll always favor the Ducati Hypermotard.

Well its not quite buttoned up but it runs! Any by runs, I mean it flies like a gosh darn bird! It is a straight up wheelie machine. 1st is basically for looping the bike, 2nd gear you cant keep the front wheel on the ground, and 3rd is just a hoot. I really can't believe it turned out. So far everyone that has ridden it has come back with a giant grin, and that's exactly what I want a bike to do.

Still sorting out an air leak in the boot. Turns out "overnight parts from japan" is only a car thing, and I have to wait 2 weeks to get a new intake boot. For now jetting is close enough to ride, but it'll stumble at idle.

Since I now have a running bike, this project will take a bit of a back seat to the KZ build. I still need to find a painter to do the tank and rear fender (which I still need to make) and tear apart everything and repaint the frame (didn't turn out that great and it needs some love). I also have visions of doing some kind of mini side covers to hide the electrical too. The current zip tie situation is to much of a situation for my taste, but I was too excited to ride it haha. Bolts and safety wire and lots of loctite still need to be applied.

Also its stupid stupid loud. Like so loud I'll have to plan when and where I ride it, so that exhaust might be coming off and replaced with something else. Gobs of power, but too loud for me.

But its good at what I intended it to be, and wheelie and skid machine that I could jump curbs and take anywhere.

I think a few more things will be done just to button it up after the carb is finished, and its time to take this thing to Baja! I'll see if I can post a video link here for sound.

Photos of the semi complete bike. I think in the next few weeks I'll finish up the little things and get a proper photo shoot of it......or maybe I should just man up and finish it the right way and be done.....

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 332
Haha thank you thank you, you're too kind! I was lucky enough to get to know the Biltwell guys on a trip to Baja with them last year.

El Diablo Run? Always wanted to do it but it's a long ass haul from Dallas to SD to Ensenada to....wherever it is they always end up, La Paz maybe? and I don't have that kind of time to go ripping around the continent. Some guys have all the luck!

Ah no I wish! Thats on my list for this year! We went for an Automobile Mag story on the Honda Ridgeline.

I'm also very lucky to have an understanding boss haha.

Back
Top Bottom