Honda cb360 pros and cons

mwm1977

Been Around the Block
So I am restoring a cb360. The top end is fried and needs to be completely replaced. The design of this bike as far as the engine goes wasn't the best. It does have the replaced cam chain tensioner that was recalled back in the day. I paid $200 bucks for the bike and will probably have $600 bucks give or take in it all day once it is done. So my question for you guys who have owned, worked, or ride one now is this...Is it worth keeping or should I sell it after it is rebuilt and move on to the next project? I feel people are 50/50 with this model, you either love them or hate them. For what i will have in it, a part of me is saying keep it and enjoy it. A part of me is also afraid, because of its design, will I eventually be back dealing with this issue again? I know some will say its your bike, your money, your call. I am just trying to get some insight on peoples experiences with owning/riding/working on this model. Thanks for your thoughts, if any.

I'm gonna say this, I have had a blast working on mine. Its been a bunch of nit picky work here and there to get it running smooth and reliably. I have had to re-learn patience again especially with setting timing. They are not the fastest nor are they the best running, and you are right about that fence. Most people will tell you to sell it and go get something else, mainly because they are expecting something that might be coming from an experience with a modern bike and then comparing it to a 360. I have ALWAYS had vintage bikes, hell I think the newest thing I had ever ridden growing up was a 90's KX80 that a friend had. Every thing else was built before I was BORN at that time.

Most (IF NOT ALL) of the issues with the 360 engine is mainly due to the fact that in this country, they were/are considered throw away learners bikes. Most people got them, learned how to ride them and never took care of them before looking at the next big thing or deciding they didn't like them and parked them, either running or blown up. My bike had 22000 MILES on it when I got it and the reason it got parked was that it was run for a bit with GAS IN THE OIL. THRASHED EVERY bearing in the thing. Near as I can tell it had the original head on it when I got it and I polished the journals and put it back into service with a better crank, pistons and barrels. I just recently replaced the head be cause the spark plug hole stripped out.

The suggestions I have taken to heart are basically simple. Follow the maintenance schedule TO THE LETTER, matter of fact change the oil at 1000 instead of 1500 using good quality, oil NOT FOR CARS. Keep the cam tensioner TIGHT and stay out of the redline for any major amount of time as the oil flow at that RPM is not enough to keep up. Other than that ride the dog shit out of it.

Above all remember its a 30+ year old machine, ANY old bike will require something to make it happy, hell that's most of the reason WHY I like them, is the tinkering. ;)

They are so cheap (you got yours for $200) that I don't see why you wouldn't just buy another one with a good motor rather then rebuild yours.

I bought one with no title for $125 and one with a title for $400. I have one good set of carbs and one good upper triple clamp but two running motors and spare everything.

frogman said:
I'm gonna say this, I have had a blast working on mine. Its been a bunch of nit picky work here and there to get it running smooth and reliably. I have had to re-learn patience again especially with setting timing. They are not the fastest nor are they the best running, and you are right about that fence. Most people will tell you to sell it and go get something else, mainly because they are expecting something that might be coming from an experience with a modern bike and then comparing it to a 360. I have ALWAYS had vintage bikes, hell I think the newest thing I had ever ridden growing up was a 90's KX80 that a friend had. Every thing else was built before I was BORN at that time.

Most (IF NOT ALL) of the issues with the 360 engine is mainly due to the fact that in this country, they were/are considered throw away learners bikes. Most people got them, learned how to ride them and never took care of them before looking at the next big thing or deciding they didn't like them and parked them, either running or blown up. My bike had 22000 MILES on it when I got it and the reason it got parked was that it was run for a bit with GAS IN THE OIL. THRASHED EVERY bearing in the thing. Near as I can tell it had the original head on it when I got it and I polished the journals and put it back into service with a better crank, pistons and barrels. I just recently replaced the head be cause the spark plug hole stripped out.

The suggestions I have taken to heart are basically simple. Follow the maintenance schedule TO THE LETTER, matter of fact change the oil at 1000 instead of 1500 using good quality, oil NOT FOR CARS. Keep the cam tensioner TIGHT and stay out of the redline for any major amount of time as the oil flow at that RPM is not enough to keep up. Other than that ride the dog shit out of it.

Above all remember its a 30+ year old machine, ANY old bike will require something to make it happy, hell that's most of the reason WHY I like them, is the tinkering. ;)
Thanks for your thoughts and I agree. I have had a few cb350's and they are tried and true machines and I guess I am comparing the two. I like tinkering as much as riding these vintage bikes. Constant tweaking and maintaining is part of owning anything thats 30+ years old. I just don't want to keep addressing the same problem over again, which is a pretty big problem. I guess what turned me on to this bike is the price I paid for it and its 6 speed transmission. When I rode cb350's I always wished I had that extra gear just to make the ride more enjoyable. Top speed that is safe for the engine on the cb360 is what, maybe 60-65mph? Which is fun on a small bike like this one. Thanks again!

Rusnak_322 said:
They are so cheap (you got yours for $200) that I don't see why you wouldn't just buy another one with a good motor rather then rebuild yours.

I bought one with no title for $125 and one with a title for $400. I have one good set of carbs and one good upper triple clamp but two running motors and spare everything.
Thats just the thing. This bike is titled with the engine number and not the frame number. Last time it was titled was in the early 80's in WI. I dont know if thats how they title them there by using the engine number. I want to keep the original motor in it so I have at least some sort of serial number on the bike that matches the title. I can get a complete top end for 75 bucks, which is cheap. I am just at that point of do I part it out and save time and money for the next project or rebuild it and ride it?

The 6 speed is really not much of benefit IMHO. The last 2 gears are both overdrive so really it's nice but its nothing a little regearing can't fix. I put in a 17 tooth front sprocket in and manged to bring 65-75 mph cruising RPMS down by around 1000 so it happily goes down the road at around 5500-6500 respectively now. It really holds 75 just fine at that RPM and can move to 80-85 quickly with TWO steps down (4th). That's really the biggest thing about ridding one is remembering to step down twice when passing.

I really changed the gearing to get the BUZZINESS out of the ride that happens at 6800-7000 rpm.

What's there rest of the machine look like? How bad is the head? Pictures are worth 1000 words. ;D

The bike is in great shape. When I bought it I rebuilt the carbs got it running and rode around the block a couple of times. Stripped the bike down to its frame, painted the frame, motor, and general cleaning. I got it all back together, took her out for a shake down. Ran and rode great for 15 minutes, then it started to over heat and I knew that was the end and here I am now.The top end had been played with before, I notice liquid gasket around the valve cover. Should have known then, but didn't want to face that fear.. My plan is to make a flat track bike with it.
c242367e.jpg

91f2c824.jpg

94f2c6a0.jpg

2aaaa144.jpg

9c40ef35.jpg

f582530c.jpg

4b6b733e.jpg

Yeah that's classic top end oil starvation, prolly due to the silicone sealer plugging the top end oil gallery's or a REALLY dirty oil pic up screen. Or low oil. OR forgetting to make sure the oil baths are full before starting the bike.

Make sure to pull the side covers and really clean the passage that runs right behind the cylinders. Use compressed air to blow as many of the oil passages as you can.

What year is your bike? The silicone is used on the top from the factory because the tolerance on the cam bearings is pretty tight and a gasket would throw it off. If your bike was made before mid 1975 and got the recall work then there is a good change some of the goop got into the engine and clogged stuff up.

Looks like a good project, I love that blue still.. :D

I love my 360. It being my first bike may have a lot to do with it, but taking it down to the very last nut and bolt before putting it all back together was definitely a journey. I've always liked the appeal of the "red-head step children" of the motoring world and so me riding a 360 seems to fit in with that just fine.

The big "pro" is obviously price. 360s are one of the cheapest available vintage Hondas. Parts are pretty easy to come by, but there isn't a lot of after-market performance modifications readily available. You can find it, but you're going to search a lot or ask people in the know.

The single largest "con" is the oil starvation issue. Top ends get cooked pretty easily on these rides if maintentance isn't perfect (and I do mean perfect).

And since we're whoring pics:
309243_10150353622730159_734955158_9766126_1256561_n.jpg

308890_10150353622825159_734955158_9766128_4959157_n.jpg

313622_10150353622960159_734955158_9766129_4476353_n.jpg

One of these days Matt I'm gonna run you down and steal that MF'er from you. ;D

How many cheap bike does one have to buy to make it a better idea to spend a little more and ???buy a nice bike once

That's funny brad, I'm looking at picking up 2 CB 450;s tomorrow, both basket cases, one in pieces, for 400 bucks. Neither have run for 10 years. Sorry must just be a symptom of our sickness.

I want projects, I like working on things. I like getting my hands dirty, and l like making things mine. I bought a brand new car last year and I can't even fuking change the damn oil without voiding the dealer warranty. Nothing pissed me off more, its like someone saying, "Yeah you can buy that bottle but I get to drink it in front of you, while I'm dicking around at work, with your wife."

Im a slut too... ;D

I love mine. It's my first bike, so I can't reallllly compare, but, I want a bigger scoot now... only slightly.
I'd like to keep things under 400lbs.

_MG_0001rs.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

We have 2 and 1/2 360s. One is a quasi bobber and the other is currently morphing into a semi resto scrambler. Both complete bikes were cheap, the 1/2 is everything but a frame that was given to me. Maintenance is just what it is and if you want maintenace free look at something else. If you don't mind changing oil and adjusting the cam chain, then you have the right bike. Can't beat the looks of a verticle twin and how many 70s bikes to you see with 6 speeds? LOL!
Rider

Don't know how I missed this thread? ::)
Anyway, I like them and do a lot of mods to make them 'better' ;D
How much do you want for the junk head/cam cover?
I don't cut up 'good' parts but have no worries with damaged stuff

Back
Top Bottom