XS400 Enduro. (Formerly Rd200 enduro)

MILLENNIUM FALCON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
So.....you may have read my previous thread about building a rd200 enduro. I have talked myself out of that. (no title) Toothpick frame, etc. etc. Today I picked up with the help of Epic retry (member), Two xs400 specials. One is a "Runner" with a title. Its not in to bad of shape. The other is a flood mud parts bike. I got them both for $275. My plan is to part out the junky bike and the parts I rip of the other bike to pay for the original purchase cost. Then build my frankenbike out of the nicer bike. I posted this in the "Special" section because I don't really know what this bike will be. I'm leaning towards the Tracker/parallel twin enduro. Im hoping to find a donor Motocross/dual sport bike. I want to run bigger forks, mono-shock alum swing arm, wire wheels, front and rear disc. motocross foot pegs and bars. I want to strip the bike down as much as possible to shave weight, and lower the gearing significantly. D.O.T. knobbies on both ends. This is just and outline of what I would like to do. I don't really know what is going to happen. I got the bike running tonight. The left cylinder is having trouble getting fuel. It didn't sound to bad when it was hitting on both cylinders. I wan to get the bike running good enough to ride it around and assess the situation, aka (make sure its worth building) Then I'll start stripping it and selling unnecessary parts. P.S. My garage is getting a little crowded.
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg

Re: XS400 Enduro. HELP NEEDED!! (VIDEO)

I went over everything today. The carbs are clean and all parts pass visual inspection. I have good spark, and the plugs look fine. I had a bad miss on the left cylinder. It had spark but wasn't getting fuel. I know this because the plug was cold and dry, The header was about 100 degrees cooler (inferred temp gun) than the right header,I could pull the left plug wire off while it was running and nothing would change, but if I squirted some carb cleaner in the left carb it would pick up and smooth right out. the carb bowl is full of gas but it doesnt seem to be getting into the intake. I pulled the carb again, but I couldn't find any problems. Now when I start it up it seems to be firing on both cylinders, (most of the time) header temps are much closer, but now it wont idle. In the video I start the bike and it climbs up to 4500rpm, when I blip the throttle it climbs but wont go below 4500. When I pull the choke out it goes down to 1200rpm. Can anyone give me any direction on this? Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_36F62G04

Does that bike have vacuum ports to see what the carb sync tool might tell you? If the carb has gas etc, and paths are all free, maybe that side isn't pulling in enough air or something, or worse, pulling TOO much (ie an air leak somewhere, maybe carb boot)?? Looking forward to another Millennium Falcon build sir. ;)

I was able to get it running and sync the carbs. It is running better (not great) but good enough for now. I am starting to get excited....the title came in the mail today, and I got a lead on a possible donor bike for my suspension. My dads neighbor has a frame with wheels and suspension sitting around his house. I don't know if its for sale or even what it is but its a start. It looked to me like it may have been xt600 at one time. I hope to find out more soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks

Well I guess I will be starting this build soon. I just bought 2 Yamaha xt's I don't know what year or what size. They look like 500-600cc late 80's early 90's. They have mono-shocks and hydraulic brakes that what I was looking for. For 100$ for the pair I'm not asking to many questions. I will know more when I pick them up tomorrow. I will post some pictures, and start taring them apart.

Well I just got back from picking up my donor bikes. It was to dark to take pictures. I will get some tomorrow. They are 85 xt 350s.

Back
Top Bottom