Yamaha TT500

DreadRock

Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well it seems I lied to myself as I have the last parts ordered for my XS build and only need seals,carb kits for the LS2 . Told myself I was done rebuilding till both where done and down the road . But I happened across a 1979 Yamaha TT 500 I couldn't pass up . Has a Aluminum tank ,swingarm, motor mounts and just needs some TLC and new timing chain. And yes the oil is stored in the frame .
First thing was to get the tank as close as I can to perfect which I got close just ran out of glue . I looked at diff ways to fix the tank like pumping air in to pop them out or adding water and freezeing it to pop the dents out . Both can work but also mess up the tunnel so passed on those . Went with a paintless dent puller from HF which worked out well.
Spent the 3 days working on the tank and sanding the black the PO did . Much better stock then painted I must say myself !!
Not a lot to these but going to take my time and figure out what to do ???

What do you guys think :
Stock
Tracker
Supermotard

Heres a few picks of the bike as is and what I think I would like to do and some shots of the tank and bike tear down .

Maybe :

Tank work :

Tank done and on to pulling the motor !

Re: Yamaha TT 500 " Supermotard or Tracker " not sure yet !!

Missed a pic of the tank done so here it is !

It'd be a cool looking tracker!

Here's my two '77's, if it'll give you any inspiration:

IMG_1599_zps8cfcb607.jpg

IMG_1358_zps8fa8a9b4.jpg

That bike is pretty awesome stock, but I'm in no position to suggest a restoration is a must-do :)

Funny thing about the 500's - they pop up just when you don't need them. I bought my SR500 the same way - was in the middle of my XS650 and an SR500 became available. Had to have it.

This is where mine's been sitting for the last 12 months - 'cause while I was doing this one I bought another project!

DSC04812.jpg

Wow the yellow one rocks I really like the looks of that ! I know on all my Dirt bike there is no fork brace to say but do you not run one on a tracker ? Did you Stick with stock front end I've heard there not friendly ?

And tim that is a SR correct ? I've trying to read up on the TTs and SRs and being told that something like the lighting set up can be moved from the SR to the TT as there both close to being same motor ?

Sorry asking alot of questions guys I'm really digging this bike as I had a 86 SRX 600 and kick my self for selling it !! I know it's not the same but still a big thumper !!!!

DreadRock said:
Wow the yellow one rocks I really like the looks of that ! I know on all my Dirt bike there is no fork brace to say but do you not run one on a tracker ? Did you Stick with stock front end I've heard there not friendly ?

No, no brace on it. Stock front end, except I PC'd the lowers and lowered the forks. I did actually buy an XS650 forks/wheel/disc setup for the silver-tanked one, but I ended up selling off the parts after changing my mind (sentimental about drums, I suppose). XS650 tubes will fit in the TT500 triples, and if I remember correctly, you need a 1/2 - 1 mm shim on either side of the wheel & for the caliper bracket (don't quote me on this, it was a while ago) to make it work. The advantages to the XS front end (besides the disc) is that it is a 36 spoke, just like the rear on the TT. Also, the XS tubes are uniform from top to bottom, whereas the TT tubes are wide/relieved/then wide again from top to bottom (at least on the 77's). Also, XS650 front ends are far easier to find than SR500 front ends, at least around here.

Been doing some thinking and going to push to the tracker style ! I have a few XS hoops ill have to Check and see if I have one that will work ! Other then that just planning for now while finish others up !
Any tips on going with a tracker for the street do's don'ts ?

TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER

Re: Yamaha TT " Tracker it is " !!

Need to find a aluminum 18 front to match the back or paint rear aluminum hoop !

Re: Yamaha TT500 " Tracker it is " !!

Hey Dread, they are all terrible ideas, nothing you do to that bike will make it look good.... you better just ship it to me I'll take it off your hands (jk).
Nice score on the bike, gotta love that 500 single! If it were mine I would go the supermoto route, with 17" wheels and keep the long travel suspension. Good luck with what ever you choose.

LOL thanks JohnU ;D

Still lil up and down on which way to go on this but still waiting on parts so messed with it over the weekend . Pulled the rear wheel and swingarm off NPs there but when I started to pull the front end off I found this ....

Im going to say it needs replaced LOL

I too picked up a TT500 as I am nearing the end of the XS build. But I have different plans for her. Let me know if you need any parts and I'll see what I have to spare.

shamus said:
I too picked up a TT500 as I am nearing the end of the XS build. But I have different plans for her. Let me know if you need any parts and I'll see what I have to spare.

Right now I'm just messing around with it . It's all there and ran a few months back but not sure where I'm going with it yet ! Thanks for the offer and might need to take you up on it lol trying to remember if dirt bike back then came with titles or just a bill of sales ? And if just a BOS can you get a plate for it to run on the road ? But like I said will be a long term build and like any build plans change !

Scott, check then double check that front end for damage. You have to smack something pretty hard to shatter the races in the neck like that.

Not sure the front got hit as forks and wheel are good and Stright . But I will say the PO tightened it way way to tight :eek: but will take a much closer look just to make sure !

Back
Top Bottom