Looking at cases.. Will this be an issue?

CALfeRacer

Fat man on a little bike
So I'm going through the lot of parts I can across and opened up the KX250 engine to find this:
f8a2919869b7b10bf6375f24d0042598.jpg

It looks like the rod must have hit the case or something. Will this be an issue? The bearing surfaces on either side of the crank look good and have new seals (new bearings in box too). If this is gonna be an issue I'd bail on building and swapping this motor and just sell off the good parts it has (everything else).

Looks like the crank dragged a piece of piston or other part around for a bit, or destroyed the bearings and flopped in there a few times.. It will be just fine as long as the case isnt worn thin in those areas.

Not a lot of room for when a main takes a digger in those cases, but id the bearings push in good, I would say your GTG mang :eek:

Cool. I'll check how much thickness is there when the cases are split to put the trans back in.

Also.. Thoughts on the KX250 motor in a street bike? I watched a video of a guy doing a 5th gear power wheelie on one last night and... Yeah.

CALfeRacer said:
Also.. Thoughts on the KX250 motor in a street bike? I watched a video of a guy doing a 5th gear power wheelie on one last night and... Yeah.

Its all about power to weight, don't put it in a Gold Wing or a CB100 with a 300lb rider... The later 250 motors out of "MX" bikes make a lot of power in a small package, but they also are for racing and short bursts of power, not gonna go WFO for 30+ on a road course, but put a decent rad on and race some 3-4 lap sprints and have a blast all day :eek:

This: is the nugget you want to keep an eye out for... CR500 with all the goodies to toss in an light frame, when geared right you can go till yer ears bleed :eek:

Attachments

• CR500.JPG
    CR500.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 228
It would be going in to an old Kawasaki 120cc frame. Just asking because I have them both here and thought it would be a fun street bike. PO clearly had the same idea since all the mounts for the original motor (which it has) are chopped out.

CALfeRacer said:
It would be going in to an old Kawasaki 120cc frame. Just asking because I have them both here and thought it would be a fun street bike. PO clearly had the same idea since all the mounts for the original motor (which it has) are chopped out.
Sounds like fun... Go for it!!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Sounds like fun... Go for it!!
That's what I was thinking. For $15 investment I don't see why not. I figure I can easily make that back selling one of the swingers and parting out the rm125 motor that came with also

Tune-A-Fish said:
This: is the nugget you want to keep an eye out for... CR500
Actually THIS is the nugget you wanna watch for. Piped and ported, it makes a mockery of an equally built cr500.

Attachments

• Top Dog.jpg
    Top Dog.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 652
DohcBikes said:
Actually THIS is the nugget you wanna watch for. Piped and ported, it makes a mockery of an equally built cr500.
What lump is that? I'm not nearly as versed in 2-stroke motors as 4-stroke. (In the ability to identify them, I do understand how a 2-stroke works and all)

DohcBikes said:

Oh but the CR is cheap in comaro mang ;)

[EDIT] Had to go look... This is a steal for the woods, well not a steal but just try to buy this kind of beast with a 2016 sticker :eek: :eek: :eek:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KX-/281798225182?forcerrptr=true&hash=item419c7bad1e&item=281798225182

Just had a thought.. If I wanna run it on the street I'll need to figure out a way to have a lighting setup. Just enough for a head and tail though, it's old enough that I don't need turns.

CALfeRacer said:
Just had a thought.. If I wanna run it on the street I'll need to figure out a way to have a lighting setup. Just enough for a head and tail though, it's old enough that I don't need turns.

I think KDX220 is your best shot for electrical donor parts

Anyone have a manual for the kx250? Digital or paper doesn't matter, but I'd like to get ahold of some literature before building the engine.

I "think" the "220" crank has the same taper the 250 may be too big for the old air cooled crank. Gonna need solid research to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom