1978 Suzuki GS750 racer project

Weasel

3rd generation rider
Picked up a new winter project for me and my two daughters. I had a Honda CB550 four cylinder years ago and the thing was a rocket. I picked up this GS750 four cylinder for a few hundred in hopes of turning her into a cool racer.

3601FD92-42FB-4859-B968-CD3BA93F686E.jpg

I got an extra motor, wheel and swing arm in the deal too.

E39FBED8-6136-4049-B6D7-289648270866.jpg

One of my helpers is ready.

79E924FF-4421-47CD-B21B-2D71CB3C6CC6.jpg

Charged the battery up and was happy to see some life.

BA5B4EC2-C6A6-4D1C-9A67-20A5F5B00C92.jpg

Thanks Canyon. I was on a very thorough forum for old GS bikes but once they heard I was building a racer, I couldn't get much help or feedback. I'll lurk there for the great info but I'm hoping to get some racer input and encouragement here.

I was able to get her running with some starter fluid but it was clear the carbs were gummed up pretty bad when the throttle barely moved. She didn't run long but she runs, which was a great sign. I'll try to post a video below.

Hey Weasel, love these old Suzuki's!! this was my very first road bike I ever brought. wish I had have kept it!! Good to see you getting your daughters involved too, mine comes and lends a hand sometimes with mine. Welcome and good luck with your build :D

Looks like a good project bike Weasel....big lump of an engine and lots to strip off. Carry on....

That's a good bike to start a custom project with, not too nice and not too grungy either. Always a sucker for a GS, I'll be following along on this one!

Thanks everyone. Got her stripped down, lost the fenders, mirrors & signals. I also changed the oil & filter, cleaned and rebuilt carbs with new o-rings & gaskets, replaced o-rings on the boot intakes and replaced the roached air cleaner.

E6152E1F-2196-4DDD-AEF8-6DAD10692511.jpg

F7E1D160-0AF6-4DB5-82F7-C84A292504DB.jpg

2B28F2AC-2603-4C27-BB3F-5FEA7092E066.jpg

Awesome! I have a '77 GS750 for my daily beater. Fun bike. Gobs of power and actually handles pretty well. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Let me know if you want to unload any stock parts.

Signed up for this one, great price nice bike to start a project with that's for sure. I haven't seen to many gs racers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting choice for a racer....don't think I have ever seen one either. I had a 79 GS750 around 84 with a stubby Alpha 4-1. It was a nice machine, looked good and was nice to ride.
What's your plan for this one?

I run the same Vance and Hines 4-1 on mine, sans baffle. With "pods". That's how I bought it. My $.02? Don't do that. Keep the airbox (update to an K&N filter) and run the baffle. It is UNGODLY loud and has a few dead spots in the throttle that would likely take me forever to get "close enough".

Nice job Titan, sweet looking Suzuki!

Von, I've heard the horror stories of attempting to tune pods. This bike needs a good bit of work just to get back to proper, safe running condition. I'm staying stock unless something needs replaced that I plan on changing. Once it's a good, safe runner, I'll start customizing tastefully & properly.

Any suggestions on replacement switches and brake/clutch levers? The more low profile the better. Original ones are in pretty bad shape. I like the minimalist look.

The wiring is pretty toasty on this old girl too. Going to sort out the electrical now that I have a new battery and regulator/rectifier.

F1436818-079D-4AC7-8B6D-169895E193D7.jpg

Found a cheap pair of drag bars and tried them out. I'm 6'1" so my long arms like the drag bars. Not sure if I'll eventually end up with clip ons or not.

EB4DB798-5696-4640-B8DA-4F5912399DE1.jpg

Weasel said:
Nice job Titan, sweet looking Suzuki!

Von, I've heard the horror stories of attempting to tune pods. This bike needs a good bit of work just to get back to proper, safe running condition. I'm staying stock unless something needs replaced that I plan on changing. Once it's a good, safe runner, I'll start customizing tastefully & properly.

Any suggestions on replacement switches and brake/clutch levers? The more low profile the better. Original ones are in pretty bad shape. I like the minimalist look.

My switches are pretty much shot too. Not sure what I'm doing to fix that yet, but if I come up w something worth reporting I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom