Welders...

I got 16 years out of a cheapo 110v flux core, and it was used a lot. Implement repairs on the farm, trailer repairs, auto body related... It makes a mess but, that's what sanding discs are for. And wire brushes and chipping hammers.

110v flux core will handle most steel repairs on bikes, save for stainless fenders or stainless grab rails. If you don't trust the weld you laid down, grind it out and hit it again. If you still don't like it, tack the parts and haul it to a welding shop for final welding.

Flux core is filthier than standard arc sticks. MIG raises a nice bead that needs chipped before you make your filler passes. TIG is clean, smooth and quite often a one pass and done deal, depending on the thickness of the base pieces.

All my on farm welding is done with 110v flux core, oxy-acetylene, or the forge (with borax, sledges, anvil and a coal fire). Just depends on what I'm making or fixing. Big repairs I send out, my machines only handle up to 3/16" base stock.

I was gonna add my 2 cents, but Scruffy said it all. My 110 fluxcore welder will handle most anything required on my bike. The trick is chosing the right gauge wire and setting for the right job. Generally, it seems happiest running. 030.

Back
Top Bottom