3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

Fork lowers and rear brake drum got powder coated today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travgusmc said:
Wow fork lowers look amazing.

I switched over to a nice Sherwin-Williams powder for my gloss black today... those are the first parts I've done with it and yes it looks really nice. The Eastwood powder I've been using looks good to but not quite as nice as the new stuff.

I will get these forks rebuilt this week... my wheels might be done this week too. I might be able to spend the next couple of weeks assembling the frame into a roller and take inventory of anything I am missing... I'll be at the Davenport Iowa swap meet... my friends George and Garry are setting up a booth there this year. I'm hoping to find some missing parts there. I have English repop fenders inbound... I want to get the fenders and tank in epoxy primer before mid September too. I'll probably wait until spring to do the actual paint job though.

Where did you buy the Sherwin-Williams powder ? I have been using Powder by the pound stuff. It seems pretty good but I am a rookie at powdering ..

1fasgsxr said:
Where did you buy the Sherwin-Williams powder ? I have been using Powder by the pound stuff. It seems pretty good but I am a rookie at powdering ..

eBay... Seller: thepowdercoatstore

Good prices on small quantity and fast shipping.

Got the call last night that my wheels were all done. John did a killer job on 'em... Laced and a new set of K70s on em. I'm getting closer and closer to assembling my roller...

That lace up looks excellent man! This is gonna be a sweet ride

Rear brake drum and plate are installed and ready for use... I have the front brake plate broken down for cleaning... Need to get something to clean the raw Aluminum with... I don't want to bead blast it and open the casting surface.

3DogNate said:
Rear brake drum and plate are installed and ready for use... I have the front brake plate broken down for cleaning... Need to get something to clean the raw Aluminum with... I don't want to bead blast it and open the casting surface.

I've never used it myself, but vapor blasting is supposed to be very effective in closing off the pores in cast aluminum, and also leaves a beautiful finish.

I think this guy is in Canada, but I'm sure there are others out there... I just don't know where..

http://www.rocketperformance.ca/

Yep, that's what I always use, cheap Eastwood setup. Its a little finiky, but works well for what I do. Its a little more expensive than when I bought it, but still not bad.

http://www.eastwood.com/abrasive-and-soda-blast-intro-kit.html

Not as nice as vapor, but still good. Soda is soft enough not to altar bearing surfaces ect.

Before and after. I did some de greasing before blasting, but you get the idea.

775be42fa346a89fcce691dce68d3d7d.jpg

Vapor would be ideal... I do have a DIY soda blaster I made when I was working on my Honda.. I'll probably dig that out and use it.

Soda blasting was the clear winner... I might do a clear powder coat on it... Maybe not... Probably not since it was a raw part from the factory. (Cast finish center with polished edge)

The last parts I needed for my fork rebuild came today so I knocked that out real quick. New seals, seal cups, gaiters and stanchions.

Running to Harbor Freight this morning to buy a motorcycle lift... They are on sale for $296 this weekend... I better grab one to make assembly go well... I'm tired of working on bikes on my knees.

trek97 said:
You need to hurry up and work faster! ;)

Wow dude you are a machine.
1 hr or 2 a day... Chipping away... I'd be dangerous with no day job and unlimited funds. :)
grandpaul said:
Looking mighty sharp. Keep up the excellent work.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom