GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - New carbs

Aaah good info to know. My boots are genuine Suzuki ones so a bit tight is definitely a good thing in this regard!

Small, pictureless update:

I cleaned out the new carbs and checked the jetting while in there. Per recommendations on the Twins site for the K&N filter, I bumped the main jets up and put a #2 washer under the needles. Started attaching the hoses to the carbs when I ran out of garage time....

I also ordered bolts to replace all the JIS screws around the crank case covers, and ordered a new petcock.

I thought the stock GS5 jetting and needle position would be more than enough for the 450.

I thought about that Ben - with a stock intake I would have kept the stock jetting. But that K&N is going to let a LOT of air in.

Stock exhaust still on the 450 Rich? Baffles removed? Aftermarket? Trying to follow along for a possible future upgrade on mine as well.

Gary

It has the stock headers, but the mufflers are another story. They are universal reverse megaphones, but the universal baffles have been removed. I took some stock GR650 mufflers and cut them open. So the universal mufflers have stock GR650 baffles inside (well, 3 of the 4 baffles anyway .....). Definitely louder than stock, but not terrible by any means.

And for an update: I need to order a GS500 throttle cable. The stock cable has more slack at the carb end. Got the carbs mounted up and got the bike to fire up though!

Good stuff Rich, glad to hear she's a runner :D

Did you see my 450 update I posted? I had to go all the way to the extreme rich end of my needle to get mine running right, but that pipe of mine is quite... free... and add in the pods of course.

I'm 4 sizes up on the mains at the moment and might try the 6's again tonight just to be sure I'm right with them.

The interesting point though is that I'm still on stock pilots and if anything it's a little rich on the mixture screws.

I know the carbs are different but figured it might lend a hand if things don't seem quite right...

Thanks Pete! I did see that, but my phone locked up in the video and I didn't reply.

My reasoning is this : the 450 and 500 motor is essentially identical (minus the 50cc difference of course). I cut that goofy lip out in the 450 intake track, so my head should be capable of getting more air now. Granted, I have the stock headers, but I do have pretty free flowing mufflers. With the K&N pod on GS500 carbs, there are so many similarities that I used this page on the Twins wiki:

http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.Rejetting

Of course, it's just a baseline as I have a little while before I can get the bike out on the road and test it. Right now my jetting is as follows:

145 mains
37.5 pilots (ordering 40's just in case)
one washer under the needle
3 turns out on the mixture screw

One other huge difference in GS450 and GS500 carbs - the weight. I haven't put them on a scale or anything, but the 450 carbs feel like cast iron compared to the 500 carbs. It really is noticeable.

peteGS said:
Good stuff Rich, glad to hear she's a runner :D

Did you see my 450 update I posted? I had to go all the way to the extreme rich end of my needle to get mine running right, but that pipe of mine is quite... free... and add in the pods of course.

I'm 4 sizes up on the mains at the moment and might try the 6's again tonight just to be sure I'm right with them.

The interesting point though is that I'm still on stock pilots and if anything it's a little rich on the mixture screws.

I know the carbs are different but figured it might lend a hand if things don't seem quite right...

Pete,I just caught your thread.I'll be catching up on it over the next few days.Interesting build you got going.

Big Rich said:
Thanks Pete! I did see that, but my phone locked up in the video and I didn't reply.

My reasoning is this : the 450 and 500 motor is essentially identical (minus the 50cc difference of course). I cut that goofy lip out in the 450 intake track, so my head should be capable of getting more air now. Granted, I have the stock headers, but I do have pretty free flowing mufflers. With the K&N pod on GS500 carbs, there are so many similarities that I used this page on the Twins wiki:

http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.Rejetting

Of course, it's just a baseline as I have a little while before I can get the bike out on the road and test it. Right now my jetting is as follows:

145 mains
37.5 pilots (ordering 40's just in case)
one washer under the needle
3 turns out on the mixture screw

One other huge difference in GS450 and GS500 carbs - the weight. I haven't put them on a scale or anything, but the 450 carbs feel like cast iron compared to the 500 carbs. It really is noticeable.

I have two completely stock engines,89 and 92.I swapped them in and out of my bike to check how well they run.The two I currently have,I ran the same carbs,exhaust,and lunchbox filter.I went through and tuned the engines up and did the valve checks.Everything is nearly identically as far as that goes.My 89 engine is jetted 145/40/no washer and the 92 is 142.5/35/1 washer.Both run good and have the same power of the same rpms.The 89 has a little over 10,000 miles and the 92 engine has a little over 3800 miles.So there's not a lot of wear in either engine.I still can't figure out why one engine will take more than the other.My wild guess is slight variances in the head casting or machining.Suzuki has loose tolerances on some of their cast parts.

Cool Ben... she's pretty much complete except for the carb tuning now :)

Rich, that's interesting on the weight... I'm curious to know though if you think you could change jets and needles etc. without taking the carbs off the bike? That's one thing I'm really liking... I can do all the adjustments to these and leave the carbs exactly where they are, including getting the slides out to do the needle work.

I'm pretty sure I could even get the needle jet out if I needed to...

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Back to Running!

Big Rich said:
Little progress from the weekend, even though I have plenty of other stuff to work on first. I had an apprentice for the first time! Got the Gs400 rear hub laced and trued to a 2.15*18" hoop:

photobucket-10199-1361150761025_zps3cd33321.jpg

It will match this front wheel that I already have on the wall:

photobucket-10458-1361150761731_zpsa00fda2b.jpg

Eventually, I'll get some other Kenda dual sports to run on these. "Just in case." But back to our regularly scheduled rebuild.......

What beautiful handiwork on that lacing *ahem* :D

Pete - I can't imagine them being a problem at all. Physically they are similar height - wise (without actually measuring), but I have yet to try it. They will be easier to drain the bowls (the 500 carbs have a drain nipple with a screw to open up the flow), and there are only 2 screws on each bowl instead of 4.

And thanks Jenn! For anybody reading this, Haircuttergirl is learning to lace and true wheels......even mags! ;)

Cool Rich, some carbs I've seen seem to have the mains and pilots buried in the body and that would be rather awkward to get out without removing them...

Jenn, you can teach me when I get to that point on my little Ducati thread :)

RICH! Callin' me out like that... *sigh* :)
You are a wonderful teacher. Just sayin'!
Big Rich said:
And thanks Jenn! For anybody reading this, Haircuttergirl is learning to lace and true wheels......even mags! ;)

Hahaha... Butthead! :) Let's hope I retained more about how to lace and true than I do about minimum speed limit signs. *ahem* :D

peteGS said:
Jenn, you can teach me when I get to that point on my little Ducati thread :)

Guess I better start doing my homework & practicing! :) :)

Ok, Photobucket obviously hates me today, but I'm going to try anyway.......got these in the mail recently:

photobucket-5926-1362236214017_zpsb70f35f7.jpg

Throttle cable for the GS500 carbs, and some chrome case guards.......

Try this again......

Because everybody hates chrome, I had them shotblasted at work:

photobucket-5990-1362236214844_zps69a56611.jpg

Oh yeah! Pete, this is for you (and whomever else is interested). GS450 vs GS500 carbs:

photobucket-5151-1362236213169_zps647c1c46.jpg

Height wise, they are almost identical. The throttle adjustment screw on the 500 carbs hangs down near the 450's CCT, but doesn't touch it (should be wearing gloves to adjust the idle on a warm motor though.....). From front to back the 500 carbs are about 20mm or so thinner, but I didn't actually measure that. And I said something about the weight difference ......the only scale I have is a digital bathroom scale. The GS450 carbs weighed in at 5.8 pounds, and the GS500 carbs weigh 2.8 pounds. Almost literally half the weight!

Cheers Rich, that's good info!

Now I know my upgrade path if I ever want to do it... ;)

Re: GS450 "Sport" - New brakes! :)

I've had a plan to upgrade the front end on this from the beginning to run dual disc brakes. I was waiting until I found a great deal on a GS850 front end for my GR650, then take the GS650 front end from it to use on this GS450. Still following all that? Well, it dawned on me that the GR is going to be down for a little while anyway. Why not rob it of its legs now?

photobucket-39044-1362438796760_zpsb36d8a77.jpg

And here it is all bolted up. I still need to wire up the brake light switch, and I'm probably going to be swapping the headlight out soon as well.

photobucket-39046-1362438795017_zps30257d6e.jpg

And other good news - the drive chain came in today, so got it all fitted up as well (ignore the dust on the chain guard):

photobucket-39042-1362438795877_zps7a5daf90.jpg

Back
Top Bottom