360 clutch slip high rpm

10w40 Castrol Motorcycle oil. You can pick it up at O reileys. I really like the Honda oil from the motorcycle shop too but its 7 bucks a quart.

I use Rotella, either 15w/40 conventional or 5w/40 synthetic.
I did oil change for Brendon, he said it felt like bike had another 2 hp with full syth ;)
Synthetics will find any leaky gaskets or seals though.
15w40 is JASO MA Spec so suitable for wet clutches, Shell had it certified about 20 months ago

crazypj said:
I use Rotella, either 15w/40 conventional or 5w/40 synthetic.
Synthetics will find any leaky gaskets or seals though.

Following the 390 build i ran in on semi synthetic 10w40 and then switched to Shell Ulta 4t synthetic ( its what i run in the ducati’s so had some in the garage)

This definitely ‘finds leaks’ more than the semi synthetic.

So now i’m wondering what to use regularly, cant find 15w40 Rotella here in the uk, do shell perhaps use another brand name ?

Steve

Pretty sure it has a different name in Europe. Haven't been on the Shell forums to find out though. As you can see from original date, this has been going on for a while (2011)

using the rotella 5w40 synthetic at PJs recommendation here on my 380cc build (granted I have barnett springs and plates) but the bike doesn't slip, even when I try to - it just says "f^$@ YOU" and causes my wallet to throw up new tires

My clutch is fine with the EBC hd springs, the motor is just a bit leaky on the shell ultra 10W40

Not very leaky, just a little from the final drive seal, ie the only one i cant replace without splitting the cases!

If you look at most Honda 360 clutch threads, you'll usually find I always recommend heavy duty springs. OEM springs were marginal in 1970's, 'settling' over time means they will often be too weak even on stock motor. The plates seem to work pretty good even if bit burned. Only when they are completely black and shiny do they stop grabbing (even then you can still ride around at lower rpm as long as you have heavy duty springs clamping things together) I can't remeber ever using anything other than stock Honda plates in a 250/360, even my 390 used stock plates with HD springs

i've been absolutely impressed with zero leaks on my build so far - but it is brand new in every way too

Back
Top Bottom