360 clutch slip high rpm

Jturs

So I finally rode my cj360 other day and the clutch seems to slip at high rpm. Clutch grabs and seems strong at low rpm. I have adjusted it per service manual. I had about 1/4" of cable play and it didn't want to engage all the way so I tightened it a little more at lever seems fine just not at high rpm. Is it time for a new clutch?

ha! i was just dealing with this on my cj...but the cable seemed to have fixed the problem. if you have to replace the plates and springs...its pretty cheap. Good luck--sorry for no further insight, lol.

I have exactly the same problem with my 378 motors, this is cheapest fix
Get a set of heavy duty clutch springs from Bore-Tech
They are about $15.00

make sure the clutch lifter is adjusted properly. You can try bead blasting the plates too. I've had great results doing this and without resorting heavy springs. I bought a Kawasaki H2 with heavy springs and the heavy pull got old quick...

Double-check your adjustment. Play (measured at the end of the clutch lever) should be about 1/2" before getting tight.

I re adjusted it today if I have a 1/2" of play at cable it barely pulls lever. I'm thinking that this lever isn't pulling enough cause when I have it adjusted with 1/2" play and I put it in gear it drops idle down then stalls. I have tried adjusting it numerous times. My clutch lever is just a universal lever. Any ideas?

So i think i have two problems.
1. the clutch lever dosn't have enough throw to fully disengage clutch.
2. clutch slips when i really get on throttle.

anyone have any recommendations for clutch lever? also i have clubman bars, and a promotion cable, and universal cable.

I don't know anything about 360s apart from a motor hiding in my shop somewhere. The big issue I read about is trying to adjust the cable end when the problem lies in the left side cover. That lifter arrangement has to have sufficient free play but not too much.

The technique is to loosen the cable adjusters right off and then adjust the lift adjuster screw and then take up surplus slack in the cable.

Ya I have tried that several times and still no luck. I think My lever might be an issue. Not sure if it is THE issue but dosnt seem right.

It's an adjustment issue.
The adjuster in cover works the opposite direction to what you think.
Unscrew it to tighten .

Alright I will try adjusting it and messing with it. Crazy how these are so sensitive. Also anyone any thoughts on after market levers?

what is everyone running for clutch levers on your 360's im having a hard time finding a lever and perch that is same dimensions as factory one without all the switches and mirror mount. i got universal one but the throw of the lever is like half of the stock one. thanks in advance guys

The clutch lever doesn't matter when it's adjusted properly.
So far I've only ever had a problem with one bike (Brendon's) AFTER someone else re built the clutch.
If it has been run with a slipping clutch there is a good possibility the plates are either burned or glazed (or both)
They may be salvageable but cover will have to come off to find out if they are still in spec.
Given the choice, I wouldn't bother to strip clutch and not fit heavy duty springs

What oil are you running? If its car oil make sure it doesn't have FMX friction modifiers in it. Made the mistake of that one time. And it takes a couple oil changes to get that crap out of your engine.

I pulled the clutch apart the plates arnt glazed or burnt but I lightly wet sanded them and installed new frictions and springs from ebc. The reason I believe the lever might be the problem is the distance from cable eyelet to end of adjuster is longer then factory lever thus slightly pulling the clutch mechanism. I Havnt ran it with new clutch yet but will layer today when I get some other things done.

Oil I was running castrol actevo tech 10w40 part synthetic

The lever isn't the problem. As pj already stated, "The clutch lever doesn't matter when it's adjusted properly.".

Also, switch over to mineral oil when you get a chance. There's no reason to use synthetic (or even part-synthetic) in these bikes. It's a bit too slippery for a wet clutch and the longevity you get from synthetic is wasted because you should be changing your oil every 1000 miles (1500 max) on a 360.

Back
Top Bottom