"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Not so Mellow Yellow" - KZ750 - "Tangerine Dream"

Few more nuts and bolts off today in readiness for a complete teardown. Took the carbs off and they look like new inside ! The PO did say they were rebuilt, but looking at the bike in general, I wasn't so sure.

Anyway, just happened to move one of my Weber 40 DCOEs and thought - "I wonder if".............

yes, that would work.

christmas2012018_zps901ff029.jpg

It was actually a "Vindicator" day today, but while I was stripping the Tr1 down [ now completed ] I couldn't resist pulling some more parts off the Tracker. Everything is now ready to be unbolted - all fixings have been WD40 'd and loosened off. Surprisingly given the overall look of the bike [ ie a wreck ! ] everything came apart real easy apart from one castleated nut on the rear brake torque arm. That will have to be ground off, but otherwise - it's ready for stripdown.

I want to get all the relevant parts for the 4 projects [ !! ] boxed up for refinishing - passivating, powder coating polishing, etc. I've found I get a much better deal that way. Especially the Gold passivating as he has a minimum charge.

christmas2012005_zpsd9ee4341.jpg

Any of my US or Canadian cousins have a KZ750 head off and accessible ?

I could do with a template of the intakes [ one piece ] I want to get a flange laser cut to take the Weber 40 DCOE pipes and flanges.

Are the intakes on a flat plane ?

Many thanx in advance.

I'll answer my own question re: the flanges now I've got all the squitter out of the way !

I can see that they are NOT on a flat plane which means I'll have to get 2 stubs made up from the inlets converging slightly to a single plate for the Weber to bolt to. Old Alfa Twin Cams had some nifty rubber gasket / anti-vibration mounts which I could probably use.

I've seen this set up [ Weber ] used previously on old Brit twins with some success and even if it's no better as a carb - at least it looks different ! Bizarrely buying and setting up a good secondhand Weber is probably cheaper than refurbishing tired OEM carbs.

Tuning is dead easy too as you simply treat each choke as a seperate carb.

I loosened the rocker box off ready to remove the engine next weekend [ extra hands available ] and had a peek inside. All shiny and pristine with a new cam chain.

Maybe the PO wasn't telling porkies when he said the PO to him had rebuilt the engine. Either way - bonus if I don't have to pull the engine down [ time and money ].

Anyway, what IS that with having to take the r/box off ???? A small adjustment of the frame at design stage could have eliminated that ! It can only be a matter of 1/2" or so interference anyway.

I might try a steam clean on the assembled motor to see if that removes most of the loose paint . corrosion. There's a commercial [ lorry ] breakers near my home that has a really vicious steam cleaner that we used for VW beetle back ends when I was making Porsche Speedster replicas.

I'll be spraying the motor with my pal's wrinkle finish paint [ fine wrinkle like the H-D finish ] with polished covers [ maybe ].

Tubing arrived today for the rear hoop and to replace the rusted cross piece. The rest of the frame is good and solid - just that one place has suffered.

My 5' flourescent light fittings [ x 2 ] will also be here in the next few days and I have all the electrical components to make up the feeder board in my garage. Light and power ...jeeeez. ::)

I've decided to say "fuck you" to all my so called pals who threatened to carry out some welding for me and break out my old arc set and buy a new welding helmet - omigawd. I am quite capable of dressing and tacking metal in place - then I'll get a qualified welder in to do the deed.

After the doom and gloom of last year I feel absolutely positive about things at the moment. 8)

Good to see the moodometer swinging to the positive. Keep up forward momentum and you'll have 3 bikes in the same BOTM vote.

Thanx Notlob .. certainly getting my finger out now !

Just removed what was left of the KZ wiring .......................... I think a rewire is called for !!

kztracker_zpsc4678a76.jpg

"Tangerine Dream" KZ750 - Tracker

Firstly - bike will NOT be Yellow - glad I got that out of my system. That'll probably find it's way onto to my recently re-inherited GS450 Tracker !

I am definitely going with the Weber [ or Solex / Dellorto equivalent ].

I ordered a laser cut 40 DCOE carb. flange today, so just need some tube and the head intake flanges cut.

One side benefit of Webers is that they make a superb induction noise when unfiltered ! Mine will have the inlet trumpets shown.

keeping the mood of positivity .. the Weber flange arrived today.

Just need to score some tube and then get the head flanges cut and we're a step closer.

we've had snow here forthe past 4 days on and off - and definitely not encouraging to go up to a cold powerless garage.

On the plus side, the fuse box and other electrical bits arrived in the past few days, so I can get the power board made up for the garage. Then it's hang the new flourescent light fittings and connect everything up ....... jeez I won't ever want to come out then !

Good progress BC.
You can keep all that snow down your end, nice and clear here ;D

"Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

notlob said:
Good progress BC.
You can keep all that snow down your end, nice and clear here ;D

Fortunately it didn't settle here - however more snow threatened for next week ...........

Next job is to get the electrics installed in the garage and then it's a final strip down of all the projects to get Powder Coating done.

BTWc - I changed the header to this thread as I have decided against Yellow on this one. ::)

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

notlob said:
Going all psychedelic. Cool man :D

D'you know Notlob I thought I'd made that name up all on my own ............. then when Mrs.B was rummaging around in the loft [ 25 year sort out ] she called me up to check out a pile [ like 200+ ] of old Vinyl LP albums - and what was the first one ....................... "Tangerine Dream" !!!

BTW my young whippersnapper friends - Vinyl LP Albums - that is ye olde plastic long play records !

And you're quite right - the album sleeves are VERY psychedelic ................... tank mural ??????????????

The final bits of electrickery for my garage arrived today - no excuses now, oh yes except the forecast of SNOW for the next several days. arrrrrgggghhhhhhhh :'(

Ballderdollox and futtox.

So, we DID get the snow - around 10" fell and settled here. My garage was inaccessible again due to the snow drifting up to 3' against the door. That was hardly relevant as the bloody temp was - 4 anyway !

Snow nearly all gone again now - maybe THIS weekend !

In between times [ !!! ].

Snow cleared
I fucked off to Saxony for a chill break [ 25 + degrees for 2 weeks ! ]
Back now - albeit with a serious dose of Man Flu - and raring to go [ 'ish ]

All the final odds for putting power in the garage arrived while I was away and just for a final kick up the ass - I came across this little gem, courtesy of Diggerdahn over on the KZ Forum [www.armbell.com. ]

Built by 2 sculptor Brothers just outside Madrid [ Spain ] .................

Maritime said:
That is cool BC, looks pretty and functional.

I just LOVE the diversity of design direction.

Every one you see has a little inspirational idea here and there ....... always leraning.

Back
Top Bottom