Post a pic of your latest purchase

DrJ said:
Another "lost-interest" project?

That and the guy is moving to Japan.... TODAY! Solid excuse for the sell but no excuse for this
96372c32f5bc1a97c1fa672c64d8c08d.jpg

wahvtec said:
^my first flux core/cant justify grinder lol.
Could have used a grinder. I'm chopping it off anyways to re-brace it all and probably a hoop from Sonic to clean it up.

I am happy it has brand new spitfires front and back so that's one thing to check off.

Came home with this yesterday. 2015 Yamaha/Star Bolt

Attachments

• 20141029_150655.jpg
    20141029_150655.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 216
  • 20141028_152802_Android.jpg
    20141028_152802_Android.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 229
Drey6 said:
1980 GS550. Titled. $200 and I'm happy to say it will be saved from the depths of the cafe throw together that it has endured.
4b7f6bf20b91b6ba02cb3d999c9d6450.jpg

Wow, $200?
The tank alone looks to be worth that.

I just spent more than that on new bearings, paint, tires and tubes for a pair of those wheels and mine did not come with a free bike to hold them up. Killer deal.

sbaugz said:
Wow, $200?
The tank alone looks to be worth that.

Idk about that but the titled frame for sure is here in Ohio. But I'm not parting it out :) she will be getting quite the treatment. Have lots to research on for worthy swaps for the engine (650 head, 4-1). My friend Chuck (Chuck78 ) is a Suzuki fanatic to say the least and within 8 hours of this purchase sent me gobs of info on possible mods for this bike. Can't wait to get started.... Whenever that may be.

Btw it was $75?!?? Since the guy has money and sees no value in this prior to his move to Japan. Saw the ad last night and emailed/ texted him and never got a reaponse. Calls the next morning and a guy was supposedly on his way from a town only 15 minutes from him so I said "Shit, thanks anyways." Texted him and said $150 and I'll be there by noon. Call off the other guy and double the money." No reply for 15 minutes. Knowing the guy in Dublin(nearby town) had to be close I texted again and said "$200, final offer and I'll be there by noon." Immediately replied and said it's mine till noon. Needless to say I didn't brush my teeth this morning or fix the bed head(not what you think, I wish...) and rushed to the bank/picked up trailer and the hour plus drive to make the deal. It was exciting... Can't wait to sell my shit DOHC CB750... Charging problems round two just completed being worked out and I won't be the guy to see round 3. I guess bradj and XB were right all along on that bike.

teazer said:
I just spent more than that on new bearings, paint, tires and tubes for a pair of those wheels and mine did not come with a free bike to hold them up. Killer deal.

Thanks man. Great to hear I'm not always on the wrong end of a deal.

Nice score Drey, but if it anything like the 750 you will need to replace the stator and reg/rec as they are sub par from factory.

Brodie said:
Nice score Drey, but if it anything like the 750 you will need to replace the stator and reg/rec as they are sub par from factory.

Perfectly fine. Already have info on that swap anyways. But the 750 has a curse and it's called the the charging system and the stock carbs. I had a blast on that bike all summer but sometimes enough is enough and it's a good lesson to keep in mind when you get in too deep on a bike.

I've posted this before, we used to fit GS1000 stator and CB/CM400 reg/rec, fixed all the problems on 550 and 750
Rewound stator with better insulated wire is also a real good option and place reg/rec where it can get some airflow

crazypj said:
I've posted this before, we used to fit GS1000 stator and CB/CM400 reg/rec, fixed all the problems on 550 and 750
Rewound stator with better insulated wire is also a real good option and place reg/rec where it can get some airflow

the reg/rectifier goes under the seat inside a small metal box,don't it ? :)

crazypj said:

I went with all Ricks parts, reg/rec, rotor, stator, brushes. I found a short in the harness that did some damage when prior to replacing these parts so I sourced a used harness, stripped, cleaned and inspected before installing with all the new parts. This lasted about 4,000 miles, no problem. Have more issues now and found that the regulator failed so I purchased another. Tested at different voltages to confirm and compare to the last model. Did what few tests I could on the other parts and am confident in the repair. Now.... I'm selling it. I've put to much in for a bike that can only give so much in my opinion. The GS will be a fun project with all the swappable parts and that's that.

PJ I'm following you. I don't need to explain other reasons for selling the bike but I will now that it seems neccesary. Forks need rebuilt, as well as the brakes, and the head gasket ( just noticed the case halves) just leaking as well just and over all I'm not willing to put the rest of the money into it anymore than what I already have. So, I'm moving on.

For the record the reg very well could have been a poor product from the get go, quality control has gone down and affected a lot of products, who knows. It's built in Tawain, or the worst but not the best. All I know is investing the money into the GS after this sale will provide me with a more agile, lighter bike, that has many possible mods that are actually worth it as far as cost goes, or at least close to worth it! You know well the early DOHC 750 lacked or could use improvement in a few areas, doing those cost money and I'd rather see it used on the GS.

Back
Top Bottom