cb400 project 'hmm...'

Re: cb400 project 'old blue'

update! thanks to maritime i got my CDI today! hooked it up and..... nothin happened.... ha, but nothing i wasn't expecting. once i got the cdi all hooked up i was checking for electricity and it wasn't getting it. fuses are good, so i'm going to single out some wires and check with my wiring diagram and hopefully find the culprit maybe then i can get started on some cosmetics and get this ready to ride! 8)

I have 32mm keihin carbs, but I do not know what kind of a carb rebuild kit to get, and from where.

any help?

I have those on mine without the crossover, just headers, 8" of exhaust pipe, then the mufflers, they sound ok but are loud. I actually want to change them to something quieter. As for the carbs, never rebuilt mine yet so not urue where to get kits. The no power can be a bitch. Check every connection for corrosion, one connection with too much green can completely stop the juice. You can pull the pins, one at a time, from the connections and clean them, it takes forever but will be well worth the effort. When I got my bike half the lights didn't work and it had funny shorts and stuff, after I spent a day with the harness and all the electrical connections, emry cloth, and di-electric grease, everything worked just fine. Also clean the fuse holders. I tested my bike and one of the fuses was good, the connections look ok, just a little dull but with the multi meter no power was crossing. A few minutes with the emny and put the fuse back in and power went through.

Cheers.

Maritime said:
I have those on mine without the crossover, just headers, 8" of exhaust pipe, then the mufflers, they sound ok but are loud. I actually want to change them to something quieter. As for the carbs, never rebuilt mine yet so not urue where to get kits. The no power can be a bitch. Check every connection for corrosion, one connection with too much green can completely stop the juice. You can pull the pins, one at a time, from the connections and clean them, it takes forever but will be well worth the effort. When I got my bike half the lights didn't work and it had funny shorts and stuff, after I spent a day with the harness and all the electrical connections, emry cloth, and di-electric grease, everything worked just fine. Also clean the fuse holders. I tested my bike and one of the fuses was good, the connections look ok, just a little dull but with the multi meter no power was crossing. A few minutes with the emny and put the fuse back in and power went through.

Cheers.

It turns out the previous owner had wired the kill switch circuit so it was always on? I played around with it and got it to spark! I'm looking for a carb rebuild kit so I can get this running!

On the exhaust note: does the crossover do anything? I'm thinking of keeping my stock exhaust pipes but connect them straight to the headers.

Yep, that would be your muffler, it weighs a ton, like 15-20 lbs I think. The stock pipes are hollow and have 0 baffles in them so they will be loud without it. Louder than the shorties, I tried them first then went to the shorties. I am trying to find a set of pipes with enough baffle to quiet the bike without to much restriction. I saw a thread here a while ago that someone put a Briggs mower muffler inside the shorties to make them better, not sure if it will restrict them too much. I may try it out as the mufflers are only 10 bucks each.

while I am in the middle of cleaning the carbs out. Does anyone know if any other carbs will work on the cb400? better performance wise?

SHE RUNS! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
1230 am thanksgiving, she comes alive to wake my neighbors from their dreams momentarily, to prove to me she runs! one cylinder at the moment, because i do not have the second pilot idle air adjustment screw in, but when that comes this week or next, she'll be running on two! hopefully... either way, PROGRESS! i'll upload a picture of the setup at the moment... make-shift sketchy gastank....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

1322114074.jpg

1322114028.jpg

the blue tape is my backup from gas going everywhere, i actually have a very sophisticated setup: water bottle gorilla glued cap to fuel line. boom. works. ultra temporary setup though dont worry.

This is my temp gas tank. It works well. Just a universal radiator overflow tank, a lawnmower inline petcock and a couple peices of gas line...

2011-04-02_15-31-59_31.jpg

SlowRoad said:
This is my temp gas tank. It works well. Just a universal radiator overflow tank, a lawnmower inline petcock and a couple peices of gas line...

2011-04-02_15-31-59_31.jpg

That's pretty official!

update: got the new pilot air idle adjustment screw for one of the carbs. i'll be starting the tuning this week. tune in next week for another update on how it went. ;)

i'm planning on doing electrolysis on the tank, maybe CLR as backup. then por15ing it

Re: cb400 project 'hmm...'

oh, and also i forgot to post an update on the wheels, and my seat pan build. i'll post an updated pic of the wheels, seat pan and the tank on there once i finish it.

por15'd the tank: easy, long, worth it project. threw the tank on, re-cleaned the carbs and she's running! Need to rejet, but before I can ride it, front brakes must work :)

Re: cb400: brake master cylinder help

As I was going through and cleaning the front brake master cylinder, I found the problem was the plunger was stuck. attempted a quick fix brake cleaner, but no luck. So, a new whole plunger system/spring/rubbers everything off bikebandit is $50. You guys think it would be more worth the money to buy a new master cylinder/handle off a newer more common bike, and maybe get it for cheaper, possible even a better ratio too?

Gave up on research for today as today has not been the best of days. The truck's broken down in a parking lot at a nearby school. great ;D

Re: cb400 project: mid-everything pictures!

well, bump for the brake situation.. and here's some pictures after I semi-mounted the seat, front brake m.c.'s off, and the wires/cables are a mess. oh, and i just have temp placement of the reg/rec and battery. but, here are some pictures of my progress. wheels are on, front brake back on, seat set up, ready for paint. both cylinders are running, time for a rejetting and a tune.

DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

Back
Top Bottom