Rare 1987 305 Cafe Project

305Cafe

Hello DTT,
I just picked up a 87 305 LTD. Only one owner, less than 20K and it looks great. now to make it even better! I have always wanted to build a cafe racer and finally have time for a project. Problem is the KZ305 has a 'step up' frame. Kind of a cruiser feel and I'm not sure how to get the stance of the bike to look more cafe. I was thinking of sliding the forks up a bit and adding clip-ons. then changing the tires to match up. Problem is do I go smaller in the front, bigger in the rear, change them both out.... I don't know. If the stance is wrong the project wont look right. To make this even more of a challenge this build is a gift to my tiny 5' 1'' Girlfriend. What should I do????

Does your girlfriend know how to ride already or is this her first bike? If it's her first, maybe leave the bike as it is - clip-ons and rearsets suck to learn on.

I like the look of the RYCA.. Does anyone know if its a step up frame? hum...

hillsy- this is her first bike. So, no rear sets no need since she is so short. However as for the handle bar its got to be clip-ons or clubman bars. Figured clip-ons would look good on the thin frame.

Bolting a set of clip-ons onto a cruiser is probably the worst thing you can do as far as making the bike easy to handle/ride for a learner rider.

Just sayin' :)

hillsy said:
Bolting a set of clip-ons onto a cruiser is probably the worst thing you can do as far as making the bike easy to handle/ride for a learner rider.

Just sayin' :)

They are harder for a newer rider that is for sure. just my 2 cents worth.

hmm... OK. no clip ons, What should I do about the tire? I got a PM suggesting Not to put on a big tire in the front. so what about same size tires front and back? or only slightly different...?

Look she wants a cafe racer bike and that's what I'm going to give her. What I need now is how to make sure my gift is safe and fun. so how do I turn this bike into the best cafe gift ever?

Back
Top Bottom