New Ebay Rims Vs. Powder?

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my wheels for my '73 CB175. I got a quote of $90 to blast and PC my rims alone. I plan on painting the hubs black/silver (haven't made my mind up yet). My question is about experience with an ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-SPORTS-TWIN-CB125-CB175-WHEEL-RIM-1PAIR-CHROME-SPOKE-72PCS-A-/360443438398?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ec1a653e&vxp=mtr

I found this set on Ebay and am curious about the quality. For 180 bucks including shipping I can get a new rim set and spokes versus just coating my existing rims and buying spokes separately.

Any experience here or thoughts? Should I go for it?

Don't have experience with him but he has only 10 negative feedbacks in the last 6 months with 4364 positives. None of the negatives pertained to wheels or spokes.

I've heard very mixed reviews about the cheap Asian rims. A lot of them are generic and the holes might not match up with your spoke angle.

Does that set have a different size for the front and rear? Most aftermarket "sets" don't, and they should.

it's not that they wont line up, but the angles may be incorrect causing the spokes to bow. This might not be the case with these specific rims and your hubs, but that was the case with mine.

unless your rims are badly bent or crusty, i would just have yours powder coated. Or maybe split the difference and reuse your rims, but buy good quality new spokes from on our the vendors listed on the left of the screen.

Thanks for the cause for concern! My gut was to PC so it looks like ill be calling Buchanans.

Check out mikesxs rims. They are aluminum (light) and dot stamped. Check my build. I used them and Buchanan's spokes (ss)

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Ill look into rims from mikesxs.

One thing, maybe a stupid question - I messaged the seller and he said they were the stock cb175 size rim (1.6 x 18). I'm having a hard time googling that size rim and getting anything useful. 1.6 isn't the width in inches, correct?? If so, that's not right...I'm at work without the rim on me but eyeballing gets me a width of about 3.5 inches I would say? Where is the 1.6 coming from?

Thanks!

1.6 is likely the correct size. 1.85 for the rear is my guess. Although I'm not sure what those measurements refer to.

I'm family certain the rims mikesxs sells are the same (or close) to those on eBay. I would only trust them if you had an XS because someone we trust has confirmed the spoke angles.

Wheels are measured from the inside of the wheel from "bead" to "bead". Tire s are measure from their widest points on the sides. A 1.6" width sounds correct for your bike. The 3.5" sounds too wide for a 1.6" rim.

Here's some motorcycle specific info:

Attachments

• morad_s_section_profile.jpg
    morad_s_section_profile.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 760
  • morad_tc_section_profile.jpg
    morad_tc_section_profile.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 812
  • morad_tr_section_profile.jpg
    morad_tr_section_profile.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 830
  • Motorcycle_Rim-to-Tire_Chart.jpg
    Motorcycle_Rim-to-Tire_Chart.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 929
1sttimer said:
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my wheels for my '73 CB175. I got a quote of $90 to blast and PC my rims alone. I plan on painting the hubs black/silver (haven't made my mind up yet). My question is about experience with an ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-SPORTS-TWIN-CB125-CB175-WHEEL-RIM-1PAIR-CHROME-SPOKE-72PCS-A-/360443438398?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ec1a653e&vxp=mtr

I found this set on Ebay and am curious about the quality. For 180 bucks including shipping I can get a new rim set and spokes versus just coating my existing rims and buying spokes separately.

Any experience here or thoughts? Should I go for it?

Hi, New here....

I did use these on my CL175 restoration and, the spoke angles were not right for the hubs- I did bend each one at the hub and got everything to work-

They really look great but took a lot more work to get them trued - straight. Honda also uses different length spoke on each side of the wheel- the spokes they send are the same length so the nipples thead in different amounts on each side of the wheel

thanks Tom

Stainless Steel Buchanan's Spokes are pricy, but worth it. the right gauge, the right length, and never rust.

Quality.

Brakes, and spokes are worth the extra $$ for better safety and performance.

I used MikesXS rims and was very happy with the results. No modifications needed and the bike handles better then ever. I had some damaged spokes, which I think contributed to the handling issues before.

Awesome guys, thanks for the input!

I think I'm going to go the route of PC's my existing rims for 90 bucks at a local shop for durability and buy the spokes. Can someone give me an estimate on what price I'm looking at for a front and rear set of SS spokes from experience? 32 spokes front, 32 back.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my hubs. I want to polish them so badly but I don't want to see the shine go down the crapper over time...although, I got a quote from a local guy to bring all 4 major hub components to a #8 mirror finish for $200. Reasonable price I would think - considering I would guess the PC guy is going to charge more than that to blast, mask and paint.

Well, 36 Spokes and Nipples, Unpolished Stainless steel , which look very nice...shiny but not chrome like, were $113 shipped to my door.

Call Buchanan's and they will give you a quote. Tell them the size wheels, the number of spokes, the hub (stock I am assuming) and the guage. If you are in doubt, ask for Kenny and he will have all that info. My Spokes are Swaged 8 gauge and 9 gauge (Swaged means the ends are thicker then the center. The stock spokes are swaged. From what I seen of the Thailand spokes, they are not, and are usually the thinner gauge throughout the length.

Buchanan's sends a little vial of anti-sieze to use with the SS nipple and ss spoke thread. SS without anti-sieze will gall and essentially weld itself together.

(If you go to an online Fiche at an online honda dealer, and look at the Honda partr numbers, they fiche lists the length and gauge of the spokes. That's how I knew my lengths and gauge. The inner spokes are a different length then the outer. On my Bike it was only 5 mm difference)

Back
Top Bottom