Ct70 build

The engines are top notch. Dont even front the first time you ride it. Shit can get out of hand quick. Dont forget to rotate the engine with no fire several times before you start it, then ride it like you stole it to break it in. Use rotella T or a good break in oil. No synthetic.

Make sure the valves are properly adjusted

Awesome.

Cool man. When I was in my shed last night I noticed that the exhaust that I have on the XR70 is a piranha, way better quality than the switch was. The more I see of this build the more I'm thinking that the Daytona might get pushed back for the CT.

clem said:
Cool man. When I was in my shed last night I noticed that the exhaust that I have on the XR70 is a piranha, way better quality than the switch was. The more I see of this build the more I'm thinking that the Daytona might get pushed back for the CT.
Any pics of said exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DohcBikes said:
The engines are top notch. Dont even front the first time you ride it. Shit can get out of hand quick. Dont forget to rotate the engine with no fire several times before you start it, then ride it like you stole it to break it in. Use rotella T or a good break in oil. No synthetic.

Make sure the valves are properly adjusted

Awesome.
A buddy local who is known to build a handful of big bore CT bikes said the 140 Piranha has charging issues. I'm thinking of doing LED bulbs all around to lower amp/watt consumption. I've been on the search for a solution but haven't found anything appealing yet.

Maybe I'll redo my 90 after I enjoy it a little bit more :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_192954076 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20150327_192954076 (Large).jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 399
Had some time tonight to go out and test fit a few things. Mainly the engine to the frame. Fits perfect without any modifications. I did notice the new carb has only one input verses the two outputs the gas tank has. There's also no fuel shutoff like the stock carb has built in. I'll need to find an inline fuel shutoff. I also suspect I'll need to get an auxiliary tank if I want to ride more than 20 miles. Anyway. Pics!

fb6763801e14cdb5d59d509ba8cdb26f.jpg

For those curious about the build quality of the engine. It feels equally as solid if not better than the stock CT engine. Everything fits where it's suppose too. No strange burrs and grind marks. It is raw however. I do expect it to yellow a little as it ages. Thinking of hitting it with that high temp 2 part engine epoxy paint for the case and powdering the covers.
9e8383a9771a2856bbb8bc1ff0facfe9.jpg
f3b7fb6723916915f1d520e7b9c30c26.jpg
0eff8805fdedbcf205db81b859f0cb79.jpg
78851b457bfce101b2e6ce62c0e05895.jpg
956c2be855b459ec82c7a36eee9f5b90.jpg

yeah it does look nice. I might have to pick up another frame and build a big bore and leave my current one stock. Are you putting street tires on it?

This one is getting a flat track looking tire. More geared for street/urban. I'll be getting a second frame and building another solely for the dirt. Most likely using the stock engine.

Took the forks apart and cleaned them up. That's the last of the tear down before powder.
08dad3a77103f92aa476a84a8a4c8098.jpg
832ae8b9e27490b3b7df2e80f787a431.jpg

Also found this oil cooler hidden in a parts box of random car bits from years ago. Should work perfect.

d8dc0e44c83b5941ecaf2de66929aa83.jpg

Right off the cover on the front of the engine. Looks like a pretty common place that folks mount them. I'll crap out a bracket and be most of the way there. The piranha engine already has the banjo plate for the oil feed lines. Which is one less part I'd have to buy. Should be a pretty simple install.

Not much progress. I've been sick, had house guests, hoodcatted a bunch and been drinking.

Today I blasted a few items and dropped a box of parts off at Mothgils house for powder. I dropped off parts and left with a gokart for the kiddo. The wife still hasn't realized its in the garage haha.

9cb187129a1a3a736bd16741d93295c8.jpg

I blast the frame tomorrow and it's off to powder. Everything else that isn't getting blasted is getting replaced with new. The frame is the last bit needing blasted.

Does anyone know if anywhere sells entire hardware replacement kits for these bikes? It would be pretty nice to not have to piece a lot together.

Frame is blasted as of this morning. I just finished up the last few parts. Everything is ready to get coated.

572012cfd05e45beb39a62e902aecd4b.jpg

0aa8972c2be34d4433b46d1509be7299.jpg

Looking good! I'll be doing an engine build on one of these for a buddy of mine this winter. The bike came to him with the Chinese engine in it and a 110cc engine on the side. Looks like a parts bike that was sloppily put back in order. It was missing a few things but it sounds like he ordered all the stuff for it. I don't think he will want to go as far into the paint as you are, but we are going to get everything back in working condition. Good enough for a cow pasture anyway. :D Keep up the good work!

Gunstein said:
Looking good! I'll be doing an engine build on one of these for a buddy of mine this winter. The bike came to him with the Chinese engine in it and a 110cc engine on the side. Looks like a parts bike that was sloppily put back in order. It was missing a few things but it sounds like he ordered all the stuff for it. I don't think he will want to go as far into the paint as you are, but we are going to get everything back in working condition. Good enough for a cow pasture anyway. :D Keep up the good work!

Thanks man. These bikes are beyond simple. One of the funnest builds I've ever done. You guys are going to have a blast with it.

While everything is off at powder I started a quick little side project. Another minibike added to the line up. Every adult needs to ride one of these.
8b736da19c4aa81050532e2291e66543.jpg

Doing a big block swap haha. Going from a 2.5hp stock to a 6.5hp monster.
f1517ec3297b11661ce1f2890bd4f6c3.jpg

Hopefully I'll have this turd-lette up and running tomorrow so I can enjoy running it around before it gets super cold out.

I don't know of a bolt kit for the body but chp has the correct kit for the hub and rim bolts. Dumbest thing that I've seen from honda, they offer the current part number for the hub nuts but the outside diameter is too small. The nut on the clutch (outside cover) is the same part as the large hub nuts. I don't know why they didn't replace the old part number with the clutch nut. Needless to say I bought 8 clutch nuts.
Check out the Northeast vintage , they have a ton of oem ct70 stuff and they aren't trying to screw you with the prices.

clem said:
I don't know of a bolt kit for the body but chp has the correct kit for the hub and rim bolts. Dumbest thing that I've seen from honda, they offer the current part number for the hub nuts but the outside diameter is too small. The nut on the clutch (outside cover) is the same part as the large hub nuts. I don't know why they didn't replace the old part number with the clutch nut. Needless to say I bought 8 clutch nuts.
Check out the Northeast vintage , they have a ton of oem ct70 stuff and they aren't trying to screw you with the prices.

Checking northeast now! I did manage to find a full kit like I wanted for about $90 on eBay. It's all polished stainless. I'd be fine with new zinc for half that cost honestly. I'm going to shoot the guy a message and ask if they'd do that.

4db98c81ecfd3631b3f4d77eda7b5996.jpg

The guys over at planet mini have had good things to say about the guy. I guess everything is bagged and tagged where it's suppose to go. It may be worth the $90 jus for that alone haha. No guess work.

-Keith

Gah, their site is horrible haha. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they have. They should consider getting their site updated a bit.

Back
Top Bottom