HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

Right side all done!! 8)

Just needs a clean-up. I don't think I want to paint it high-heat black. I was trying various scotch bright pads and I need something more course to even the finish. I wouldn't mind doing a brushed look then finish with high-heat clear or paint grey or something, I don't know. I just don't want my hard work on the custom exhaust hidden by heat wrap or dark paint. I spose I could get them ceramic coated. Ceramic is supposed to make more power..

Attachments

• 20131124_165449 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_165449 (Medium).jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 497
  • 20131124_172122 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_172122 (Medium).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 20131124_172150 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_172150 (Medium).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 20131124_183642 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_183642 (Medium).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 483
Ordered a new rear modern shock today to match the soon to be modern front. I have a feeling it will work and it does work I think I'm going to be some xv owners new best friend.

rundown said:
That rt side pipe is very nice. Are you are going to tease us witht the shock?

Thanks man, here is a better picture from today. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to my self. I write all this shit asking peoples opinions and such and don't here back much. Yup gonna have to stay tuned on the shock biz. I'm pretty pumped, should be here in less than 2 weeks. If it works out I seriously might become the late model virago Jesus... ;D

Attachments

• 20131125_201544_HDR (Medium).jpg
    20131125_201544_HDR (Medium).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 479
Very nice Hollywood, great work, I look for your thread first as soon as I log on to DTT.

Loving the exhaust setup and look forward to seeing the rear shock.

I have a modern rear shock with remote reservoir on my XV750 and it works really well.

Re: Re: HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

stidds said:
Very nice Hollywood, great work, I look for your thread first as soon as I log on to DTT.

Loving the exhaust setup and look forward to seeing the rear shock.

I have a modern rear shock with remote reservoir on my XV750 and it works really well.

Thanks man. Ya I'm really digging this build. My kz is super bad ass but I was always concerned about altering the frame or making serious permanent changes to the bike. For the XV it's no holds barred, I will slice, dice, grind, weld, what ever it takes.

Like your shock this one I purchased also has a remote reservoir. I don't know why people say the remote reservoir doesn't fit on these bikes because there is quite a bit of room there, plus the room for the air adjustment cables that won't be there. So I can't see why it would not fit. But for some reason if it doesn't, I will make it fit!

If you like where my build is going forget the shock wait to you see this equal length rear pipe I'm building. It will be done by this weekend. Then I hope to do a sound test with video. These xv's sound pretty pimp uncorked.

Please don't think that people aren't interested just because they don't respond. Yours is a pretty serious build with lots of detail and little BS. I note that the builds with the most banter are bgenerally a lot of talk back and forth that is not strictly speaking related to the guild.

HollywoodMX said:
Thanks man, here is a better picture from today. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to my self. I write all this shit asking peoples opinions and such and don't here back much. Yup gonna have to stay tuned on the shock biz. I'm pretty pumped, should be here in less than 2 weeks. If it works out I seriously might become the late model virago Jesus... ;D

That will happen, I think sometimes people don't want to offend with their opinion!

I like your build, not necessarily because of the look and style but because I know (first hand) how much work goes into fabricating your own parts and building your own bike, not just bolting on parts. I personally do not like three spoke alloy wheels so I would not vote to use the ones from the YZF. I used ZX636 front suspension and wheels on my build. Keep up the good work, I will be following.

rundown said:
Please don't think that people aren't interested just because they don't respond. Yours is a pretty serious build with lots of detail and little BS. I note that the builds with the most banter are bgenerally a lot of talk back and forth that is not strictly speaking related to the guild.

Ah gotcha. Yes I have noticed some threads here do have a fair bit of banter, not in a bad way mind you. The light heartedness can be refreshing at times. I chose to post my build on this site vs others because I am interested in the vast opinions of others here who are not tied to the same bikes, ie KZs, CBs, Triumphs, etc.

johnu said:
That will happen, I think sometimes people don't want to offend with their opinion!

I like your build, not necessarily because of the look and style but because I know (first hand) how much work goes into fabricating your own parts and building your own bike, not just bolting on parts. I personally do not like three spoke alloy wheels so I would not vote to use the ones from the YZF. I used ZX636 front suspension and wheels on my build. Keep up the good work, I will be following.

Thanks man. Ya these builds are a lot of work, my girlfriend knows this too! The ole "so what's your plan this weekend?" question when every week even though she knows at least one day is in the garage! :-X ;D I am going to be in buying mode now as I prepare for some time off in xmas and when my contract expires Mid January to focus on my bike building while I'm in between contracts.

In my kz build I ventured into unknown territory grafting 07-10 R1 components. It was a fair bit of work compared to some of the more proven or easier swaps due to the excessively large swing arm and all the complications from that and because of the fork offset is hitting my rather large Bimota gas tank.

It's always another gamble not knowing what the stem length is going to be so I could end up with having to get a custom stem made any-ways but I am taking a chance with the 08 gsxr because it does have an unusually long fork length compared to most new sport bikes out there including previous gsxrs, so I'm crossing my fingers the stem will be longer based on that.

In this build I was looking to simply the swap a bit more to move the build along faster so I was limiting myself to options that I can use bearing conversions for. ZX's were not on the list, but I did investigate why. I'm thinking because of the wider diameter steering stem in the zx 55mm vs 48mm not leaving a whole lot of room for the bearings to fit in the xv neck. Yes I could make a spacer to swap the xv steering stem into the zx triple but doing that with my R1 conversion I was super jealous of people getting away with just bearing swaps. So I decided I would gamble.

The zx wheels are definitely a step closer to the spoke wheels than some of the other rims out there and I did consider that swap. Like you mentioned I also not that big of a fan of the YZF wheels either just the deal was super cheap. The GSXR wheels are also 3 spoke but they are much cleaner as the spokes thinner and not so swept. After already doing R1 swap I also wanted to stay away from r6/r1 5 spokes.

There is also an option of after market wheels for the gsxr suspension. Something I am considering because my supplier only has the rear wheel at the moment for 275 with rotor. These are the wheels I am thinking I might go with if I don't go with the stock gsxr wheels. These are are probly around 1600 where as stock it will be around 600-650. Going aftermarket would eat into my FCR carb budget for sure! lol. But the wheels are significantly lighter than stock so that is worth roughly 3 whp there.

1206-sbkp-01-o+RK-Excel+wheelset.jpg

Oh and I bought this yesterday for the gsxr forks. I never have tried a damper before and I dont see people rock these on cafe swaps compared to the conventional ones so I thought why not!

image.php

Those aftermarkets are awesome, but I know what I said about 3 spokes but the Suzuki ones don't look too bad to be honest. If it were me I would most likely buy the Suzuki wheels and the carbs rather than spend all that dough on just wheels.

You are very correct about the zx having large bearings and stem. I had to press the stem out of the bottom triple and modify it to suit smaller bearings. Keep at it, it's going to be a great build.

Cuba Libre said:
Dirt bike steering damper

M.

Close, it's a steering damper kit for gsxr forks. But yes the style is more common in supermoto and dirt bikes.

Couple advantages over the typical damper is no big rod to worry about in the mounting and separate valving low and high. For example what that means if i hit a bump while turning slow while turning it will adjust according to the low circuit if I hit a big bump or pothole outta no where, going faster it will correct quickly using the separate hi speed circuit. Both circuits are adjustable for user preferences.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385563155065.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385563155065.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,830

johnu said:
Those aftermarkets are awesome, but I know what I said about 3 spokes but the Suzuki ones don't look too bad to be honest. If it were me I would most likely buy the Suzuki wheels and the carbs rather than spend all that dough on just wheels.

You are very correct about the zx having large bearings and stem. I had to press the stem out of the bottom triple and modify it to suit smaller bearings. Keep at it, it's going to be a great build.

Right the other option is to reduce the diameter of the Zx stem to fit different bearings if the Zx stem is long enough. Was it long enough in your case? What year Zx suspension and what bike did you swap it into?

I reduced the diameter of the zx stem, there is plenty of meat on there to reduce it. The stem was actually to long on my conversion so I made a spacer to go under the top triple. Well you have seen my bike in the botm competition it's the Suzuki T500. I think the forks I used are 2006, and they are off of a ZX636. I used a Ninja EX650 front wheel as it was a quarter of the price of a 636 wheel but it looks exactly the same only problem is I had to make a custon axle to fit. Here is a link to my build, all the info of what I did is in there somewhere http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.0

johnu said:
I reduced the diameter of the zx stem, there is plenty of meat on there to reduce it. The stem was actually to long on my conversion so I made a spacer to go under the top triple. Well you have seen my bike in the botm competition it's the Suzuki T500. I think the forks I used are 2006, and they are off of a ZX636. I used a Ninja EX650 front wheel as it was a quarter of the price of a 636 wheel but it looks exactly the same only problem is I had to make a custon axle to fit. Here is a link to my build, all the info of what I did is in there somewhere http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.0

Too long? Wow. Hey if you get a chance I would be interested in knowing the rough length of your steering stem, basically bottom of the bottom triple to the top of the stem.

I really like that build! I will go through the build thread tonight for a good read.

HollywoodMX said:
Close, it's a steering damper kit for gsxr forks. But yes the style is more common in supermoto and dirt bikes.

Couple advantages over the typical damper is no big rod to worry about in the mounting and separate valving low and high. For example what that means if i hit a bump while turning slow while turning it will adjust according to the low circuit if I hit a big bump or pothole outta no where, going faster it will correct quickly using the separate hi speed circuit. Both circuits are adjustable for user preferences.

Nothing new under the sun eh ?

Modern take [ hydraulic ? ] on the old steering dampers [ friction ] of the 40's > early 60's.

This is a modern version for the new Bonnie, but the same as the old pre War set up.

See
HollywoodMX said:
Ah gotcha. Yes I have noticed some threads here do have a fair bit of banter, not in a bad way mind you. The light heartedness can be refreshing at times. I chose to post my build on this site vs others because I am interested in the vast opinions of others here who are not tied to the same bikes, ie KZs, CBs, Triumphs, etc.

Thanks man. Ya these builds are a lot of work, my girlfriend knows this too! The ole "so what's your plan this weekend?" question when every week even though she knows at least one day is in the garage! :-X ;D I am going to be in buying mode now as I prepare for some time off in xmas and when my contract expires Mid January to focus on my bike building while I'm in between contracts.

In my kz build I ventured into unknown territory grafting 07-10 R1 components. It was a fair bit of work compared to some of the more proven or easier swaps due to the excessively large swing arm and all the complications from that and because of the fork offset is hitting my rather large Bimota gas tank.

It's always another gamble not knowing what the stem length is going to be so I could end up with having to get a custom stem made any-ways but I am taking a chance with the 08 gsxr because it does have an unusually long fork length compared to most new sport bikes out there including previous gsxrs, so I'm crossing my fingers the stem will be longer based on that.

In this build I was looking to simply the swap a bit more to move the build along faster so I was limiting myself to options that I can use bearing conversions for. ZX's were not on the list, but I did investigate why. I'm thinking because of the wider diameter steering stem in the zx 55mm vs 48mm not leaving a whole lot of room for the bearings to fit in the xv neck. Yes I could make a spacer to swap the xv steering stem into the zx triple but doing that with my R1 conversion I was super jealous of people getting away with just bearing swaps. So I decided I would gamble.

The zx wheels are definitely a step closer to the spoke wheels than some of the other rims out there and I did consider that swap. Like you mentioned I also not that big of a fan of the YZF wheels either just the deal was super cheap. The GSXR wheels are also 3 spoke but they are much cleaner as the spokes thinner and not so swept. After already doing R1 swap I also wanted to stay away from r6/r1 5 spokes.

There is also an option of after market wheels for the gsxr suspension. Something I am considering because my supplier only has the rear wheel at the moment for 275 with rotor. These are the wheels I am thinking I might go with if I don't go with the stock gsxr wheels. These are are probly around 1600 where as stock it will be around 600-650. Going aftermarket would eat into my FCR carb budget for sure! lol. But the wheels are significantly lighter than stock so that is worth roughly 3 whp there.

1206-sbkp-01-o+RK-Excel+wheelset.jpg

Not meaning to quote myself but I'm bitting the bullet on these wheels! There goes the neighborhood!

Really nice wheels! Steering stem is approx 198mm from the underside of the top clamp to the face of the bottom clamp. This is for the ZX forks.

Back
Top Bottom