MGD's 1981 Suzuki GS850(shafted)

BlueCB360

Been Around the Block
Just off the trailer. I actually had to put the valve cover, gas tank and seat back on it from the PO.

It runs and drives, just not very well at both. Carbs need to be rebuilt, and I think the valve seals are shot.

Shows 29Kmi, and the paint is trashed. Maybe I can make something cool out of this. I picked it up for beer money, with a title!

Re: MGD's 1981 Suzuki GS850

Great looking bike, I dont know what you intend to do with it but if it were mine I would have a weekend away on it before I tore it apart :) ;D

If you notice, the left rear frame rail, after the shock mount, is bent down.

It is way easier to work on without all the fiberglass on it.

Alpha, does that exhaust look like a V&H? It's certainly been painted/refinished.

If so, what jet size should I be putting in these carbs with pod filters?

Pretty sure that is a Vance & Hines pipe. Great sound. May have to be re-packed once in a while.

Last time I did a GS850 with V&H pipes and K&N pods, I think I used a 135 jet, but wished I had used a 137.5. It ran like a scalded dog on top end, but was a wee bit lean in mid-range/cruising speed.

I changed the brake fluid, front and rear.

From the looks of the old fluid, I may change it again real soon.

Carbs need to be boiled out, just as soon as I find a pot large enough for all four.

The front fender is terminal, but I'll use the support from it.

I took the wheels off, and cleaned them. Getting ready for new rubber.

The brake pads actually look ok all around. Calipers need a good scrubbing though.

Without the seat and rear section on, you can see the frame is out of line.

Should be simple to correct. Heat it, and bend it back.

Parts are trickling in, grips, clutch lever, headlight assembly.

Still waiting on the carb rebuild kits, and Six Sigma tuning kits.

Alpha Dog and I thought the exhaust was a V&H, but my research shows it very well could be a Jardine system.

The V&H has the same shape. but the header pipes are welded to the collector, so I don't think it's a V&H. Didn't see it separated before, I don't think.

The top picture, is from ebay, some one selling a NOS Jardine with the box.

I never posted pictures of my exhaust separated, but I assure you the headers are not welded.

I did strip it down, and then used a high heat enamel flat black to refinish it.

I don't expect the paint at the head to hold up long, but it looks much better than high gloss black.

I'm still waiting on carb parts, and the headlight rubber bushings, but the rest is ready to go.

I was going to put tires on it, but these do have life left on them.

Plus I don't want to spend the money on tires, unless I keep it.

Different seat, without holes in it.

I'm still missing two Carb rebuild kits.

Then it's time to tune.

Carbs rebuilt, and jet kits installed, she falls on her face at 2-3000RPM.

If I choke it at that point she almost revs up to 6-7000rpm.

I've got 127.5 main's on the outside carbs, and 130's in the middle two.

Keep in mind, I have the needles shimmed up, and springs clipped one round.

She seems to need more fuel. The kit came with 132 main's also.

I may put them in the middle, and the 130's on the outside carbs.

127.5 is WAAAY too lean for pods on that bike. You are going to need 135 or 137.5. Get your top end running clean and strong before changing the needles from their stock position.

I never jet different cylinders with different jets. Use the same size jets on all four cylinders.

Clipping the springs is an iffy approach, IMO. I never do that, because it's too hard to reverse, and you can end up with slides that stick open.

Back
Top Bottom