Hitting a deer at 85 mph

Chivatty said:
Wow! This guy is pretty lucky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw

I had a close call with a deer at night once. I was on my 77 CB750 and going to my 3rd shift job at IBM. I commuted on my bike a lot and one night I was cruising at about 50-60MPH on a 2 lane back road when a deer jumped right over my front fender. All I saw was a brown blur inches from my headlight. I turned and looked and saw the deer scamper off in the woods. I skidded about 50 or so feet. I took about 15 minutes to sit and have a smoke or 2 while my heart climbed back up from my foot. Scary!

:eek: Holyshit :eek: I had one jump over me when I was doing 50mph, came out of nowhere :eek:
If you look through some of the other vids, you'll see a deer jump over a bike like one did me :eek:

I wonder how rare these occurrences are. Also how does any animal see a speeding object and think "OK, I'll go NOW."

I hit a German Shepard at about 65 on my old XS 650 many years ago. I was lucky too, rolled right over him. The dog ended up like this deer though. Ever since then, when I see a dog by the road, I slow way down.

CC

Hit a deer on my first R1 several years ago....dunno who flew farther....

This guy was so lucky, and he was being a complete douche bag about it. All concerned about his Gixxer that looked just like 4 other bikes in the vid until he hit the deer! He should be glad he still has a head and let gieko deal with the bike! It would look better without that front clip anyway!
DOUCHE BAG!!!!

I agree with Twisted...i can see his USD forks now, sweet!.....but blue black and white is oh so cool...hurtin

and i saw some video once that said somethin crazy like 10X as many bikers are in collisions with deer than with cars....oh wait it was in a magazine i had, i will try and find it sometime

Holiday said:
I wonder how rare these occurrences are. Also how does any animal see a speeding object and think "OK, I'll go NOW."

Indiana has 3000 auto/deer collisions a year. 2 of them were me. Never noticed till they were on me. (cars, fortunately)

I'm sure vehicles scare them, I think they figure they can out maneuver them like they do everything else. I thought about using deer whistles once, but many folks think that scares them into traffic too. I just try to slow down in tight quarters as evening approaches, especially in the fall.

My father hit one on his way to work one morning doing about 80. Said he didn't even have time to move his fingers to the brake lever. No avoiding it :-\ He broke his collar bone, but was wearing full leathers so was in pretty good shape other than that. Ground the side of his helmet down almost to the padding. New England has a ridiculous deer population.

so, the same night I watch this video, I damn near slam my car into a deer at 85 mph on the interstate. not cool.

arsey said:
so, the same night I watch this video, I damn near slam my car into a deer at 85 mph on the interstate. not cool.

keys here are damn near and car, not saying that it did not or would not have sucked, but it is still leaps and bounds better than, didhit on my motorcycle!

I got a bird in my face shield once, shit my pants nearly, I was on my old CB750 on a long elevated bridge here in NW Arkansas, when it flew up from under the road and into my face!

Oh shit yeah....fucking black birds!

So I just got my first liter bike (VFR1000) and I was loving life. I rode that thing everywhere and as low as the odds are to actually hit something, if your frequency goes up so then does your chance.......

Sunny day, I'm ripping along my favorite back road out near Mt. St. Helens and coem to a great straight stretch. Nice road, no side roads to carry traffic in, no surprise cop hideyholes etc. Just 3 miles of flat smooth perfect pavement...of course I'm gonna wick it up a little. Here I am cranking along at about 100 and what's this? Why it's a little black dot that looks like a birdy and Mr.Birdy is flying right along the road. Well whaddaya know!? It *IS* a bird. Birds are neato.

Hmmm.....that bird may be coming this direction....Oh shit little bird....fly somewhere else...no REALLY! Fuck!

All this kind crammed into my head in something like the 1/2 second i had before Mr.Birdy hit me straight and true in the chest. Birds aren't really all that stout, but this one was chubby. Felt like a baseball to the sternum followed shortly by an explosion of feathers and...err.....parts.

Pulled off to the side of the road spitting feathers out of my mouth....no shit. There was a foot stuck in the jacket zipper and a film of liquid bird all over the front of me. Coulda been worse I guess......

Chivatty said:
Wow! This guy is pretty lucky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw

See.. thats why riding motorcycles are so dangerous...NO one in their right mind should be riding those things!!. ;D

Swagger, I feel sorry for you and for that little birdy, but survival of the fittest! I have to say I did find it pretty fun, I guess my humor is a little twisted!
Cheers

I can kinda giggle about it now but then...damn.....

And yeah...poor little birdy didn't fare well.

Back
Top Bottom