Hitting a deer at 85 mph

Never hit a deer however I was driving on a country road when I saw some road kill up ahead as I manuevered around it, a hawk swooped down for a quick bite and ended up in my front windshield at 55mph. Scared the piss out of me.

Seriously though, that's really scary stuff. I've been lucky enough to not have had this happen to me. Donging crap from trucks will get ur heart pumping enough as it is. Going 85 probably helped keep him up right. Much slower and he would have high sided. Watch the slow motion closely. The front end goes damn near tobthe steering lock when he got hit.

Be careful out there

When i was younger a guy down the road from me hit a deer before school and he died to sad. I cant believe that guy kept that thing on two wheels.

gsdapollo said:
Screw the broke piece of fender, I would've taken the deers head. That's the real souvenir!!

It was a doe, the head is worthless, now the back straps, thats good for four family meals, very tasty, extremely low in fat, and contains no preservatives or inoculations! That is what the guy should have taken! But I suspect by his reaction that he is one of those pussy's that is against the killing and eating of wild animals, but has no quams about eating cage raised chickens.

I got 2 angry yellow jackets stuck in my helmet the same week, each stung me a couple times, one on top of the other sting, it was so swollen you could see my blood pulse underneath my skin.

Other than that, I had a squirrel jump and get caught in between the pedals of my fixie a couple years back, I lifted my feet out of the way and fought the pedals until it jumped off, even with my hands firmly on the bars, I got a serious case of the wobbles from that.

As for why deer run in front of traffic, I did a bit of research on this a while back, the theory is that if you're being chased by a predator, you have have the greatest chance of escape if you can make the predator start running after you start running. Deer do this by making the predator need to change its acceleration vector by the greatest amount. By running across the predator's path, the deer will cause the predator to overshoot and need to turn around an acute angle to get to the deer where as the deer can leave at a constant acceleration. This effectively gives the deer a head start.

At the speed cars and bikes go, this doesn't give the deer enough time to make this strategy work. Since the car/bike isn't (normally) in pursuit of the deer, the deer crosses the car/bike's trajectory at the same time as the motor vehicle.

coming back from hunting one time my uncle sees a beautiful 12 point buck run across the road... floors it, rams it, killing it, and leaving a nice front end job. cops asked what he wanted to do. he said "take the dear home of course". he got the insurance, and the deer.

cruel, i know, but one hell of a story. he still has the head on his wall.

Here in PA it's a little different. A good friend of mine saw a monster crossing the road when another car plowed into it - killed it on the spot. After my friend + his girl made sure the driver was ok (they are both nurses) my buddy actually asked if he could keep the deer!

Come to find out, in PA you can keep the meat from roadkill, but not the rack.

Get onto google and download the amateur doco "Arctic Clutch". A fella rides by himself to the arctic circle to get a suntan while drunk on the sumer solstice. Great film but he hits a deer on the way back (just) a similar scenario to what's in that vid. Difference is the guy's by himself in unfamiliar territory. We've got problems in australia of a different sort. We don't have Kangaroos in the suburbs but once you get out to country areas at dusk they start to pop out. And they just launch into the middle of the road, then stand there staring at the headlights. You can't swerve because they'll launch right at the last minute in either direction. The trick is to aim for the bastard and start braking carefully...and hope.

Back
Top Bottom