12 year old kid starts street tracker build!

liquorboxracing

I got a 77 XS500 in a trade, and my oldest son ( 12 ) wanted it to build a bike. So I decided he could mod the XS. I told him as long he was willing to work on it, I would be right there with him to help. But I refuse to to turn a wrench if he is not there working on it with me. So far he has it stripped down, and started to de-tab the frame. And so far he has done 90% of the work to this point. Check it out. I'm proud of his efforts so far. I guess we are going to start on the rear seat pod this weekend.

2fbf5ee90.jpg

2fca5ee90.jpg

2fd05ee90.jpg

2fd65ee90.jpg

2fd85ee90.jpg

2fdc5ee90.jpg

I *wish* my old man wanted to do this stuff when I was a kid!

About the only thing we did like this was replace the counter balance shaft and timing chain and gear on my '81 Mitsubishi Sigma when the bolt let go and stripped all the teeth...

Very keen to see what your young fella can do, bet it ends up better than my build :p

Get him started with a dust mask too :p (I started doing this since grinding usually has you with black boogers when you are done... :eek:)

redlinedave said:
lucky kid to have a dad like you
No kidding. Only wrenching I did as a kid with my dad was maintenance and I was the grease monkey. I didn't change oil till I had my cars.

My son and I started on his seat pod this evening. We have the main portion of it formed up. We started with the layout of the seat pod on a large piece of sheet aluminum. Crested the edges of all the turn downs using a press flange die on bead roller. Then formed the sides down on the English wheel. Then we rolled the bottom flange over again using the press flange die. We then split the rear up the center, and started working the rear top flats up to form the rear pod portion of the seat. That's as far as we got this evening. Here are some pics.

30b35ee90.jpg

30b55ee90.jpg

30b95ee90.jpg

30bd5ee90.jpg

30c35ee90.jpg

30c55ee90.jpg

30c75ee90.jpg

ohh man, it already looks better then my project! Give the lil'man a pat on the back from all us here at DTT!

Ohh! that's awesome! In eleven more years I hope to be doing that with my daughter :)

so very cool man. like the others i wish i could build bikes with my old man. good to see him grinding and welding too! excited to see the outcome. beautiful bike with tons of potential. stoked.

I can't tell you all how proud I am of my son's drive to build this bike. Your post' have been a huge part of that drive for him. For that I can't thank you all enough for the support. Thank you all.

Most of the stuff he asked for on his Christmas list were parts for the bike. I would love to tell you all what I am getting him, but since he reads the boards I can't. You are going to have to wait till Christmas along with him to find out. I'll post pics Christmas morning! ;D

He and I will get some more work done on the seat next week. We'll post pics of what we get done. Thanks again to all of you for your support.

Its good to see kids even younger then me (16) buildin up bikes, keep up the good work! Cant wait for the finished result!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him HOW to fish and you feed him for life.

Good job man

+1 on the seat guys! Nice work on getting him started. I can't tell you how much harder it is starting from scratch 2 years ago at 28!

that seat is killer! you going to polish it? if so, are you making an aluminum tank to go with it?

are you keeping the factory mufflers? i need a pair of those big muffler nuts if you dont ;D

Back
Top Bottom