"The Orphan" XS500 '76 (98.2%done)

Yamaki

Been Around the Block
So i stumbled upon this very cheap Xs500 and couldnt resist buying it.

The PO had to get an MOT on it but decided to let it sit in his shed for 10 yrs instead, hence the name for this build.
Got it for 87 dollars lol.
hCAAoab.jpg

I owned one of these before and i liked the boxy design of it.
Heres a pic of my previous Xs500 which was inspired by Blitz Motorcycles
T3Jb7IL.jpg

So here goes nothing i guess.

The tank is rusted pretty bad, going to try and get the worst gunk out and see if i got any pinholes.
The carbs will be taken apart and cleaned up.
New set of plugs, clean all electric connectors, connect a fresh battery.
I will get it running before doing anything else, if i cant i will sell it as it is or in parts for more than i spent.

Am i missing anything on my to do list so far?

I have one question regarding the engine oil, is it best to replace filter and oil before start or can i make it start, run her up to temperature, then drain, and refill/replace filter?

Re: "The Orphan" XS500 '76

So i got started on the old Yam today.

Looks like some kind of animal had lived right behind the barrels, maybe a squirrel.
WBC5BId.jpg

Took the airfilter off, it was old and crusty.
TcCUfAZ.jpg

Pulled the carbs, one side looks worse than the other, gonna take them apart later today.
I looked into the intake and it looks ok, just a little gummed up fuel residue.
mzYscCF.jpg

I tested the electric system with a fresh battery, but i need a new fusebox which i will purchase tomorrow.
Got lights in the dash, and headlight shined for the first time in 10 yrs.
As it is now.
crUdyf1.jpg

As i said in my first post, im going to make it run before doing anything else, but i looked at the Heidenau K60 tires which i really like, might put them on if this goes well.

I will try to take plenty of pics for you guys, i know you lov'em

Put some new plugs in it, changed the oil, and got her started up. Best feeling and sound this year for me

Had to work around a faulty solenoid, i replaced it with a 12V 30A relay but turning the engine for 10 secs was too much for the relay so i need to find a replacement for that.
Gonna take it all apart now and try to remove some of the rust and grime, then mock up tank and whatever seat i wanna go with this one. This is how it looks today.
qleHpDF.jpg

Had an old Fs-1 gas tank which i tried on the frame, might go with this one, depends on if i can get the rust out.
9nVX8iT.jpg

For now its teardown time :D
The master cylinders are both shot it seems, i might just buy a new for the front and either find a used working one for the rear, or find a more modern rear brake master and modify it to work.

So today i got a little more done.
Things are slow due to all parts rust fused together. so far its every 4. bolt that snaps. Maybe i should use some penetrating oil lol. Havent been to the store lately but will buy one next time im there. might save me some drilling in the end.
Normally, a teardown would only take me one or two days. but not with this one.

I got tired of playing with the exhaust so i cut them off the headers, the end near the muffler was almost rusted through anyway..

With all that rust i decided to try electrolysis and i dont know if my mixture of soda/water is too mild (1 table spoon:1 gallon) or my charger is weird, but i left it for 3 hrs and some of the rust is still there. Oh well, it was fun to try it out

I hope i can pull the engine on thursday depending on how much its stuck in the frame.

Here's some pics from today in no particular order.
Electrolysis
jlxaIWS.jpg

Headers
VgA6fIZ.jpg

Wiring harness
48nMx1Q.jpg

Mufflers
YNiVRsx.jpg

Bike as it is today
A4NSRyg.jpg

BaJWxuJ.jpg

In other "news" the warm weather finally decided to show up so i spent some hours scooting around on my best mates Cb500 testing carb settings and some charging problems..Good times 8)

Today i got the engine out :D
w4r8ihx.jpg

9nws6lP.jpg

I broke two engine mount bolts on the right side, but it could have been much worse.
gY6pFOk.jpg

Didnt have time for anything else really, but i checked on my gas tank and i got almost all the rust out now, im definitly going with the Yamaha Fs1 tank, i like the low slung look of it. I'll have to move the tank mounts a little but nothing bad. I forgot to check the clearance between tank and engine so im hoping i wont have issues with the petcock later on.
As it is right now, i dont really know which direction this project will take. i guess time will tell.

Mock up with Fs-1 gastank
KSI4PcM.jpg

Next up is to take off the brakes and detab the frame, hopefully ill get to that tomorrow :)

Oh yea, and i've been thinking of an 18" front rim, i have an extra set of xs500 rims, but the rear rim is too wide to go in between the forks, anybody know any donors who might have similar rim design in 18" ?

Or maybe i can have it machined to fit, but im trying to keep costs down so i might settle for the 19" front.

Today i detabbed the frame, left some for my rear fender/hugger/electronic mounting plate.
Still undecided about the rear end so i just took off what i was 100%sure i wouldnt need later on.
eQcKSLP.jpg

Rear gastank mounts will probably be removed too.

Got the brakes off, will try and see if i can get the calipers out, and if i can remove the bleeders and what not without breaking anything.

Pile of parts
hTaVcgm.jpg

First shiny bits bought today, a gas cap with key and a petcock w/o vacuum.
7M2tT9V.jpg

Glad to see another XS500 on the board ! As for the oil if you can warm up the motor then drain the oil is best . Been working on my XS for lil over 2 years now and am about a month from getting it out on the road . Take alook at my build and you wont feel to bad about the shape your bikes in LOL But will say after getting all the parts it fired right up after sitting 20+ years LOL
Looking forward to see where you go with yours ! If i can help with any info let me know !

DreadRock said:
Glad to see another XS500 on the board ! As for the oil if you can warm up the motor then drain the oil is best . Been working on my XS for lil over 2 years now and am about a month from getting it out on the road . Take alook at my build and you wont feel to bad about the shape your bikes in LOL But will say after getting all the parts it fired right up after sitting 20+ years LOL
Looking forward to see where you go with yours ! If i can help with any info let me know !

Thanks :D We gotta keep the little unwanted Yam alive hehe.
I did as you adviced, got it started up and got the oil warm, then drained and put the new oil in it, sounds really healthy, no weird noises or anything else, like it was never abandoned in a shed for 10yrs. but you got me beat with your 20+ years of hibernation, holy hell thats a long time :eek:

Will go look at yours now and thanks for the positive comment :)

So i got a little done today and last night after i got home from work.

I had clearance issues with the petcock when the tank was in the position i wanted it, so i threaded the inside of the tube in the tank (i dont know what its called in english) and drilled a 10mm bolt so i could fit the gas hose directly on it. i rinsed the tank out after threading it. (came out crooked but whatever, doesnt show when im finished with it.) So now i dont have a petcock, wonder if that will give me headaches further down the road?
NIhmYmU.jpg

iQm9Aam.jpg

NwHfXWL.jpg

SPr5ePK.jpg

I also mocked up the tank and removed the tabs for it. They will be welded on later.

Decided to save as much money as possible and do as much as i can myself, that means, no blasting, no powder, no paint. Rattle cans, zink spray and some more rattle cans will do for this one.
I am considering painting the frame in zink and clear on top, i went over some of the places i grinded with the zink primer, and i kinda like it. And its cheap.
6oJ2UNT.jpg

Brushed off the old paint on the upper fork trees, i might polish it at some point.
rKfvMKb.jpg

And i found some ss plate big enough for my electronics tray/tool box so i made a cardboard template and cut it with the anglegrinder, i will weld it later on.
W1hwIg2.jpg

Still not sure where to place my battery, maybe it will be on top of the swingarm. suggestions are welcome here.
EjZBv0P.jpg

Oh and i opened the wiring harness :)
4L9mBqM.jpg

Thats it for today. Tomorrow im going to grind more rust, and zink some more. and maybe i'll take the putty off the tank to see how bad the dent really is. Maybe even take off the wheels so i can started on those too + i need to transport the frame for welding when that time comes.

Most of the day will be spent trying to sort out my best friends CB500 though, charging problems suck.

Couldnt update last night, Dotheton.com was down?

Oh well i got a lot of things sorted out.

Frame is ready for welding. Primed in zink, i will give it a few coats of zink and clear when im done welding. If i need to tweak something along the way on the frame, this paintjob is easy to fix.
Cqjbr0F.jpg

Mounted my regulator, condenser and rectifier in my electronics tray, i also cut the sides down a little so it doesnt protrude so much under the frame. still havent figured out where my battery will go or if i can run kickstart only on this bike.
sudVKWL.jpg

uoZ39Hj.jpg

Took my front end off, ball bearings look fine so i might run with them.
Found the easy way to collect the balls, with a magnet :)
bEydLpe.jpg

Cruddy forks, i dont know if the seals are good to go, but its easy to dismantle so i'll take my chances for now.
YBEcsgH.jpg

And i took my headlight from one of my other projects an Xt 550 1983. its a bit smaller which i like.
Before pic.
gLv0f0H.jpg

Today i will grind some more rust and paint some more small parts.

Assembly of rolling chassis will be in about 3 weeks if everything goes like i want it to.

So i got a little more done.

As this is a cheap project i can kiss the 200dollar tracker tailpiece and seat unit goodbye.

Found an old xv1100 glassfiber custom rear fender in my workshop which i will use. It may not be pretty, but its sturdy and its free. I will modify it a bit, shorten it, and take a little from the sides. I know its a mismatch from the lines of the tank, but it will have to do for now and i think it looks tracker-ish(It may not be, but this is my version of a tracker hehe). I can always make another tailunit/seat for it. No cutting of the original frame so far, but i will probably trim some off.

Also found some copper nuts for my exhaust flanges. Pipes are more or less ready to go, just need some emgo shorty mufflers and maybe some tubing, depends on if i want the straight pipes, or make something myself.. if that makes any sense..

When im done with work tonight, i will go to the DIY workshop and MAG weld what needs welding, my own electron welder and me does not mix, i cant make a weld that holds unless its really thick material :(
I made a seatpan from 3 or 4 mm diamond plate aluminium, used a cardboard template as always.
I will bend it and prep for upholstry tomorrow.

Pics from final mockup of tank and seat.
Rink1ES.jpg

Qn4N9dl.jpg

cc4Nuee.jpg

To lazy to post more pics right now, but if you want to see something specific, i will deliver.

Oh yea, and dont mind the totally busted up workshop, its been a few wild days so nothing is where it should be ;D

The welding went to shit due to the crappy service at the DIY shop, i spent a good 40 mins just walking back and forth to the counter to get help, first the power was off, then i had to switch welders 5(!) times because none of them worked like they should. So i got one full weld done, the rest were only tacked on. Still more robust now than if i had used the elctrode welder. So i could still go home and do some more work.

But the weather was really good today and they have promised rain tomorrow so decided to go ride the RD instead, great times 8)

Got a little bit done today though, made the final shape of the seatpan. Passenger seat will have to wait, but i already planned out how to mount it etc.

I cut up some fuel line and put it around the edge for a smoother finish when the leather comes on.

Q39x4Et.jpg

KZy8I4M.jpg

8xszyjW.jpg

Looking good sir. Lokking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Clutch48 said:
Looking good sir. Lokking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

That makes two of us, here is the ready to go parts list.

-Headlight
-Headlight ears
-Handlebars
-Fork and fork trees
-Forkbrace (might need to modify this at some point due to tire size 120/80-19)
-Headers and header clamps.
-Swingarm

So i've got a good bit ahead of me still, good thing is i've basicly thought out all the fabrication needed (which is not a lot) so its just a matter of time now.

Thank you for the positive comment, it keeps me motivated.

Hopefully i can have it street legal before 25th of May, going on a cruise with a Yamaha XV club with my friend. I helped him dismantle and mount all his bling parts, rear fender etc.

Before
Vl8QqJU.jpg

After
de6WA4y.jpg

Today i got a little more crude fabrication done, the numberplate/rearlight bracket.

y7L4gRl.jpg

Mounted in two existing holes in the frame. I might drill some extra holes to mount it in just for peace of mind.

I measured once too little so the rear light was hanging too low the first time round.
LmpoMEO.jpg

Just a mockup, it sits straight when its properly mounted.

Turns out the original holes i made ended up in a almost perfect spot for the numberplate.
owYsYDl.jpg

I left the brackets long so i could play around with rideheight to numberplate clearance later on.

I might paint the frame of the rear light black, i dont really like this light or the rear fender but did i mention it was free?
So far i didnt really spend any money on this bike. Only things that will cost any significant amount, is the tires. And maybe some other ideas i've been tossing around.

I also cut a bit off the fender (about 2 inches), still need to trim it some edges. The numberplate will act as a rear fender also so i think im covered. We have a lot of rainy days here in Denmark so it will surely save me from a drenched back more than once.

Next up is to get the frame painted in that Zink paint i found, and put some 2K clear over it. Still need to weld a few spots but they are hidden so i'll go ahead and paint it, then i can always patch it up where i need to.

Cant wait for final assembly..

I sanded the tank down to bare metal to look at how bad the dent was. It was really bad.
Od3D5LB.jpg

As stated earlier i dont have a MIG welder so i decided to bondo it instead.

It is now much heavier on the left side lol
eGIVumg.jpg

Now i just need to sand it..

Some minor things on the frame needs trimming before i paint it, but otherwise its done. Might paint it tomorrow depending on the weather.

Up next is rims, tires and brakes, more pics coming tomorrow.

If the bondo don't work pick up a cheap dent puller like you see on tv ! Pulling dents out of a aluminum tank with one and have to say its working out nicely !

DreadRock said:
If the bondo don't work pick up a cheap dent puller like you see on tv ! Pulling dents out of a aluminum tank with one and have to say its working out nicely !

Its a lot of sanding work for sure.

I dont know how it'll look when im done, but i am considering getting a replacement or dent puller.

In one or two days i will know hehe

Well good luck and the tail light is looking killer sir !

DreadRock said:
Well good luck and the tail light is looking killer sir !

Thanks, it was needed.

A lot of sanding later, the tank is prepped for paint, so is the rear fender.

EP6MAG2.jpg

Rear fender paint prepped.
ccWCuox.jpg

They will be painted with metallic gloss black by my friend with the XV1100, he offered his help and i was glad to get it done by someone who is better with a spraycan than me hehe.

Also got started on the wheels, took off the discs and sprocket, broke two disc bolts in the process. Hopefully i can drill and rethread them. If not i have another xs rear rim i can use.
i4qcHpV.jpg

TznkAKI.jpg

I went for a glossy black on the frame instead of the Zink and clear. Will prep and paint first coat tonight after work.

Thats it for this weekend im afraid, going on a bikeride tomorrow with some friends and some other bandits i dont know. Hoping for good warm weather:)

Back
Top Bottom