How to tune CM400/CB450 carbs for pods and a less restrictive exhaust.

Went looking in my old posts but can't find any with the my old carbs in them. I really think you are missing the primary slow jet, you should have the primary main, and secondary main in the one hole then the primary slow wich is idle to 1/4 throttle in the second hole.

well my carbs only have whats in the pic, the long ugly one in the center hole and the main in the top hole (in relation to the pic)

OK, I get ya now I think, those are different from mine a bit, Wish I had pics, and I may on the home PC. I am getting fuzzy with my CM and my more recent CX cv carbs I think.

yeah, based on what PJ has said i would only have the primary main if i have the dreaded 3 jet carbs.

LOL. yep, I really need to look for pics. My bike had 2 jets, one of them was a 2 piece, one a single little jet that went into one of the posts and the 3rd hole was blocked off. I only changed the top of the main to 135 or 140 and the other I didn't change cause I went up a size and the bike ran way too rich, so I just adjusted with the mixture screw. I really should have written it all down. I have done my CX carbs for PODs too and that bike is running great now and I didn't write any of it down either LOL. I really should have.

Maritime said:
Went looking in my old posts but can't find any with the my old carbs in them. I really think you are missing the primary slow jet, you should have the primary main, and secondary main in the one hole then the primary slow wich is idle to 1/4 throttle in the second hole.

There's nothing missing, the hole isn't drilled or tapped
If you read through the entire post you'll see there are two different types of carbs on CB/CM400/450

crazypj said:
There's nothing missing, the hole isn't drilled or tapped
If you read through the entire post you'll see there are two different types of carbs on CB/CM400/450

I figured that out later, there is actually 5 in my Canadian suppliment. CM400A, usa, Cm400 USA CB400A/CM400/450's Canada and then the rebel CM450 has a different carb again. I didn't find the suppliment yet but have a couple other places to check. It makes talking about these bikes kind of hard depending on Model and market there can be some big differences in what they came with.

Hi,
How is it possible to know if you have 2 or 3 jet carbs on your CM400T? (serial nr, year?)
If I understand it right you aren't able to use open carbs and exhaust if you have the 3jet version.
But if you have the 2 jet carbs it shouldent be a problem to get them right?
In case you have the 3 jets, you need to buy other carbs?
Like the mikuni 30, or are there cheaper ones?

It's real easy if you remove float bowl and look at the previous posts.
Maritime even added text to picture

I found this forum and thread researching rejetting on google so i figured i'd go for the long shot that someone will reply. Anyways, i have an 81 honda cm400 (not sure if it's an E, T or whichever). I removed the stock airbox and put some Emgo pods on. However now it won't run well unless the choke is out at least 3/4 of the way. I know the main jets are 125s, but idk about the pilots or needles. Any help will be most appreciated.

You need to know if it's a 2 jet or 3 jet carb. If you have a 3 jet, put the airbox back on, you'll never get it running right without it

Hi T-Rex and any other helpers. I have a 1985 cb450sc with stock exhaust but i swapped the airbox out with pods. it runs well at idle but bogs badly on acceleration. I can get it to run reasonably well if I tape up most of the air intake. what size main jet do you suggest and needle clip placement for my set up? thanks!

If you can find an earlier set of keihin 745b cv's. I got a set of a 76 cb 360 still cv carbs but completely diferent design, with a cleaning, rejetting and a little tuning runs like a rabbit. If said rabbit only had 400 cc displacement. Those 24a keihins even with the airbox were quite restrictive.

Although i did have to fab a new spacer plate due to the difference between the 360 and my cm. But the diameters are identical.

crazypj said:
You need to know if it's a 2 jet or 3 jet carb. If you have a 3 jet, put the airbox back on, you'll never get it running right without it

can you replace it with a mikuni or something different like a keihin CR and have success with a pod and shorter exhaust

Yes, but if you go Mikuni you will have to spend a bunch of time jetting

Back
Top Bottom