Something's wrong - Yamaha YX600 Radian

gregbuda

I'm sorry officer, all I know is fast.
So here's the rundown.

Had a leak in the valve cover gasket so i went about replacing it.
As I finished up with that i wanted to adjust the cam chain since i believe it to be loose (makes an loud whooshing sound on throttle).
Accidentally took out the stator generator, when I took it out the gasket (or shim) broke in 2 halves that were stuck to both the cover and the bike. So i just put it back in, tightened it up and didnt think twice about it since all the coils looked solid and not burned.
While working on the bike, i didnt know you can take the key out with the power on so the bike was running all day and drained all the power over night.
I ended up taking off both my mufflers in the process since one was so loose (with a bracket that was snapped in half) that it was gonna fall off on its own.
Once i put everything together, the bike was in one solid piece and i had no left over bolts, screws, or parts so i took it out for a spin.
After a couple attempts at push starting it, i finally got it.

As soon as i got it to spark fully my tach jumped to 7k rpm and stayed there whether i added throttle or not.
All of my lights were dim and barely staying lit.
My bike could move forward only in 2nd gear but even if i let go of the throttle it would still move me forward (felt like the throttle was bumping itself since i would jump back n forth when not holding it).
I couldn't switch gears because it would act even worse at any other gear and no amount of acceleration would get my bike to go faster than 15mph.
Any switch of power and it would jump my bike forward and spark up all the lights for a fraction of a second then go back to normal (turning high beam on n off and turn signals).
If i pull in the clutch without throttle it would kill the engine and all the lights would die out as if it never got started in the first place.

Bought a new batter just right now to see if it's that, gotta charge it so toss any advice that you can while I'm doing this. This is the first time I ever decided to do anything on the bike alone other than change my sprockets and drive chain so any help is appreciated. And don't laugh at me as I am sitting here with massive anxiety at the thought of taking it to a mechanic.

everything turned out better than expected. Put in a fresh battery and it was all good.

The reason i was confused was because i topped off the old battery so i figured that if i charge it up then itll be all good. Little did i know that the cells were shot and it wouldn't hold a charge for its life.

Remember kids, listen to the expiration date on your battery and don't just say you got a new one on craigslist! xD

Back
Top Bottom