1980 XT500 BUILD

Don't have an XT500, but from your previous photo it looks like
Refer to attached photo.
Loosen screws A & B (do not remove)
Use a blade screw driver in position C to then rotate the ignition base plate to advance or retard the spark timing (not sure which way retards or advances but you will soon work it out)
If you leave enough drag on the screws A & B then you should be able to tune the timing while the motor is going, which makes it easier!
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• XT500.JPG
    XT500.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 870
XS750AU said:
Don't have an XT500, but from your previous photo it looks like
Refer to attached photo.
Loosen screws A & B (do not remove)
Use a blade screw driver in position C to then rotate the ignition base plate to advance or retard the spark timing (not sure which way retards or advances but you will soon work it out)
If you leave enough drag on the screws A & B then you should be able to tune the timing while the motor is going, which makes it easier!
Hope this helps.

That’s great info, thankyou I will do that,
Do you think the poping and backfiring is generally because the timing is off?

I still have a lot of problems starting the bike, but I think it may be because I’m getting used to kick start, all my other bikes are push start.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Timing will absolutely make it difficult to start and also cause the backfiring.
From looking at the witness marks on your backing plate, it looks like screw A should be somewhere in the zone marked up in BLUE. You are currently at one extreme of adjustment so I suggest you go the other way. There looks like a heavy mark at the end of the BLUE zone which is where I would move it to and then start your fine tuning.
Just crack the screws loose, so you can just move the plate by using a blade screwdriver in location "C".
Good luck

Attachments

• XT500.JPG
    XT500.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 899
That’s great I will do that today, and repost an update, thankyou for support and information.

Now I just have to figure out how to start it more consistently in order to work on these things

Ok guys, so I can’t start the bike with first kick when it’s stone cold. But it’s impossible to start the bike while it’s warm.

I have adjusted the timing and now while running the f mark is spot on the line While checking with the strobe light. So that’s great. But I am wondering , does it matter that I adjusted the timing while the choke was on? Because I cannot get the bike to continue to run unless the choke is on. I think i need a larger pilot jet. I have 35 pilot but I think I should get 37.5

Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But it’s impossible to start while it’s warm.

MCKAY34 said:
Ok guys, so I can’t start the bike with first kick when it’s stone cold. But it’s impossible to start the bike while it’s warm.

I have adjusted the timing and now while running the f mark is spot on the line While checking with the strobe light. So that’s great. But I am wondering , does it matter that I adjusted the timing while the choke was on? Because I cannot get the bike to continue to run unless the choke is on. I think i need a larger pilot jet. I have 35 pilot but I think I should get 37.5

Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But it’s impossible to start while it’s warm.

I don't think that adjusting the timing with the choke on should cause any problems. Sounds like your fueling is out because of the air filter and exhaust. Are you sure that carb idol circuit is clean and not blocked?
Try adjusting the primary air screw fully in and fully out and see if it will start and run.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

MCKAY34 said:
Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But it’s impossible to start while it’s warm?

Are you using the hot start button on the carb when you are trying to start it hot? It holds the throttle slightly open which helps when the engine is warm.

Mr Bernzo said:
I don't think that adjusting the timing with the choke on should cause any problems. Sounds like your fueling is out because of the air filter and exhaust. Are you sure that carb idol circuit is clean and not blocked?
Try adjusting the primary air screw fully in and fully out and see if it will start and run.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ok great I will try that,
My carb is definitely clean, it has been hydro blasted and cleaned multiple times. In side and out.

Ok so I finally got it started just now, good thing is that the popping and backfiring is gone.
I did give it a few small revs and it was ok with small revs, but if I twisted the throttle a bit more it sounded like it wanted to cut off.
It finally did cut off when I turned he choke off.
I have a question for the hot start button, obviously you turn the button, but once you start the bike, would you turn it back to zero? What should the setting be for the hot start button?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. It’s heating up in Melbourne and I want to be doing monos down the street! Cheers.

It is a button that you press and it just slightly opens the throttle valve, then if you were to rotate the throttle the opposite direction it will push the button back up.

Hi
Sometimes ignition issues can appear as fuel problems. If you are using the stock carbi with a pod filter and possibly a more open exhaust then it should run but with a few flat spots, but it should start and run.
Have you checked that your points are set correctly? Is the gap (when points are open) set correctly? very important!!!
Have you replaced the spark plug lead? You may have spark but is it a strong spark? Poor spark and the engine will be hard to start and die when you open it up. All carbi tuning guides emphasis that you must have the ignition correct before you start changing jets.
Just some thoughts. :)

Hey mate, yes so I have set the points gap correctly. .35mm , I have a new coil and lead with a new spark plug. The spark looks strong when I check it.

Like I say, first thing in the morning I can start the bike on the first kick. But once it shuts off, I can never start it again.

Hey Guys,
I looking for some advice here, just wondering about the below image details.

Any help would be great, cheers

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 306
Mack,
Working on my own XT500 build. Not sure about A and C in the above pic but pretty sure B is the overflow drain not a vent or vacume line. I have a build thread over at xt500.co... there are some XT experts there that could probably help you as well. These bikes have a rep for hard starting when warm. Mine is doing that as well and with my older VM32 carb I have no hot start button. Ill watch this thread and as I get deeper into my own build Ill share any info I discover...
Yours looks very nice so far!! Im going to need new shocks so I was wondering what you picked up and in what length... like the look of them.

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

C is the vent for the stator area. There should be a tube on it that runs back and down behind the motor.

Ok great thanks for that, so C doesn’t connect to anything, just a hose that hangs behind the motor.

MCKAY,

Also here is a site with some great info on the XT electrical system and cold and hot startup procedures... It helped me better understand these unique machines.

https://www.patu.ca

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom