1980 XT500 BUILD

I have pulled the carbie off today to double check my main jet and also my pilot jet, I have ordered a #37.5 and a #40 pilot jet. and i have also ordered a #220 and a #230 main jet. So when they arrive i will have another play around.

I did actually notice on further inspection of the carb was that the floats were set at about 18mm, the yam book says 22mm. So i have adjusted that, the floats are now set at 22mm.
Will be interesting to see if these changes will help at all.

I would love to here some feedback. cheers guys! everyone has been a great help so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    977.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    804.8 KB · Views: 349
MCKAY34 said:
Hey Psycrow,
thats awesome thanks for sending that to me, it has been a great help.
Glad it helped you it certinly helped me but thank Patu... hes a contributing member here... ;)

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I have a question, how can I check to see if my oil pump is working?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Ok I have checked the oil pump, it’s working fine.

I’m thinking maybe the problem is my carby, it’s impossible to start when it’s warm, and my spark plug seems dry, which means I don’t think it’s getting fuel. I’m going to put the carby in the ultrasonic cleaner today and give it another go, if I don’t have any good results. I am stuck!!!

MCKAY34 said:
Ok I have checked the oil pump, it’s working fine.

I’m thinking maybe the problem is my carby, it’s impossible to start when it’s warm, and my spark plug seems dry, which means I don’t think it’s getting fuel. I’m going to put the carby in the ultrasonic cleaner today and give it another go, if I don’t have any good results. I am stuck!!!

Do you have a carb diagram to follow all of the fuel circuits and identify which one is causing the issue? There is also some XT and TT forums that have some carb info. With a different air filter and exhaust, you will most likely need to change the jetting. It might pay to look at a 6 Sigma or JD jetting kit.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Mr Bernzo said:
Do you have a carb diagram to follow all of the fuel circuits and identify which one is causing the issue? There is also some XT and TT forums that have some carb info. With a different air filter and exhaust, you will most likely need to change the jetting. It might pay to look at a 6 Sigma or JD jetting kit.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Hey mate, yes I have changed the jetting, I put a bigger pilot jet and main jet, also changed the needle c clip.

Starting it when it’s warm is a nightmare. And my spark plug is dry, so I feel it’s not getting fuel.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, i have been away. still having some issues starting the dam thing.

hello all , i was just wondering if anyone knows how easy or difficult it is to replace the Gear Shift Shaft for the clutch?
the thread is compliantly destroyed and must be replaced,

any help would be great and much appreciated

to remove the gear shift shaft.
is this correct.
-drain oil
-remove cover, points etc
-remove boot and C clip.

after that, does the shaft slide right out? and i can just slide a new one in?

is it that easy? or an i being naive

any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 231
Hey guys, so some new parts arrived !
I got the gear shift shaft , so it will be great to a put a new one of these in the XT.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 216
I didnt get much of a response in regards to replacing the gear shift shaft.
So if your interested , this is how i did it!

I drained the oil first, you have to remove the side cover, so i had to remove points plate also.

Im excited to get this done, i havnt replaced one of these before so i will learn something new!

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 227
Well, ive learned the hard way!

So it appears after i removed the side cover, you do have to remove the clutch basket. Which means this will be a larger job than expected.
But thats no problem.

In actual fact! From what i can see if you only want to replace the shaft. you probably dont have to remove the whole basket, however in my case i bought a brand new gear shift shaft from KEDO parts, and there part comes all as one part, as in the PAWL is welded to the shift shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 227
MCKAY34 said:
Well, ive learned the hard way!

So it appears after i removed the side cover, you do have to remove the clutch basket. Which means this will be a larger job than expected.
But thats no problem.

In actual fact! From what i can see if you only want to replace the shaft. you probably dont have to remove the whole basket, however in my case i bought a brand new gear shift shaft from KEDO parts, and there part comes all as one part, as in the PAWL is welded to the shift shaft.

lookin good, im workin on my third sr and might pick up an xt if the guy comes down in price.

I have removed all the plates and basket. No problems here, very easy and straight forward.

Behold the gear shift shaft!!!!!!!!!

time to remove it and through it as far away from my garage as i can!

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 236
Once the E-clip was taken off the shaft, it slides right out, and if you wanted to replace the shaft only, Ive noticed the whole clutch basket does not need to come off, because the shaft slides right out.

wanted to replace the o ring while im at it, on the gear pedal side.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
Yay!!!!!

New gear shift shaft installed, no problem. Notice how the shaft is welded to the gear change arm. so thats why i had to remove the whole clutch basket.

As the manual request, i put it into 2nd gear. and lined up all the marks. and adjusted the screw so all the marks matched.
So should be all good.

I did notice that my clutch plates where sticking together a bit. Rather than just sitting them in oil, I just ordered a new set of clutch plates and will install new ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 246
Nj732port said:
lookin good, im workin on my third sr and might pick up an xt if the guy comes down in price.

That sounds awesome!!! Great engines and very fun bikes!!!

Hey Guys, just wondering if someone could help me.
does anyone know what Yamaha decal this is from? and if i can buy it from somewhere? I have been searching but i cannot find the exact style decal.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 246
Back
Top Bottom