1980 XT500 BUILD

Turning radius and cable interferrence shouldn't matter while on one wheel, but I do like the new bucket. Yes, there are others lurking. Watching. Taking notes.

awesome thanks guys.
everything is working great and super happy with the bike. but im having a wiring issue and its driving me nuts.

ill post something shortly about it.

Quick electrical question: I’m installing a led rear tail light,
do I need a led light resistor?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Not usually. If the tail light was designed to work on a 12V system, they're almost always a straight swap.

Some of them are only a two wire system and require a resistor and some wiring to make them work for both running light and brake light, but that's rare. I've only come across that style a handful of times in the past five years.

By the way it’s a 12v led light and I have done a 12v convention for the lights only.

I have another quick question.

My headlight is very very low and Dim, but as I give the bike some throttle, the headlight lights up bright.
Do you know why that is.

Not uncommon for a lot of dual sports and dirt bikes.

Usually the lighting circuit is run directly from the stator and brightness will increase with engine revs. You can modify it to run from the battery and that will help. I recommend an LED for the headlight as well.

Get you a Trail Tech AC regulator to run your lights through.

https://www.trailtech.net/7003-ac01

MCKAY34 said:
Ok and so what will that do?

It gives you consistent power to your lights, so no more flickering or dim lights. I think they make both the adjustable and fixed regulators.

Ok, that’s interesting. Thanks for that I will definitely look into it.

I think there is something wrong with my wiring. Because the lights are so dim when the bike is running. They are almost off!

It that what it’s supposed to be like?

I bought a bulb 12v headlight because it’s the only one I could find that had a slim back to fit all my cables behind the handlebars etc. I had a h4 headlight but the casing of the headlight kept getting in the way of my cables so I had to remove it.

Sonreir said:
Not uncommon for a lot of dual sports and dirt bikes.

Usually the lighting circuit is run directly from the stator and brightness will increase with engine revs. You can modify it to run from the battery and that will help. I recommend an LED for the headlight as well.
Mckay, Sonreir is correct the headlight is AC and runs directly off the stator lighting coil so it is dim at idle and gets brighter with engine revs. If your going to mess with the electrical I would highly recommend you look at the XT forum for relevent posts and check out https://www.rexs-speedshop.com he is the expert on these electrical systems. LED signals and tail lights are useable with his 12v conversion kits but not LED headlights. They will not like the AC current. Running anything additional off the battery is also problematic on stock stators as they barely make enough current to keep the small batterys charged as it is. Its all the tutorial pages. However If you end up ignoring all that and find a setup that works please post it up... Ive been looking for a headlight upgrade solution that works too ;) good luck

Psy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

yes, i will do, thanks for that. I have already purchased a 12v conversation kit from rex's shop.

Waiting for a new break light arrive shortly.

Im very close to finishing. just these last couple of things. and im done!

Thanks for the advice guys. im very appreciative

hey guys!

Does anyone have a theory on this issue im having.
My ignition have 4 positions.

off / daytime running / night time riding (lights) / off

My rear break light works while on daytime riding position. But when i turn the key to night time riding position to use the lights. my break light stops working. turn it back to daytime riding. break light works again.

Also my break and tail light are both turning on at the same time. when break is pressed

i have hooked up everything correct as far as i know. just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this. and perhaps im missing something

Ok problem is solved with the brake light,
Turns out the brake light I had was faulty. So I installed a new one. And brake light and tail light are working great !

Sorry to everyone for the long delay.
i have been waiting for parts. But everything is perfect now! sent it off for road worthy today, and passed with flying colours!
The bike is starting first kick! and running perfect. no complaints and loving every second of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on tank paint options?

Attachments

• IMG-1955.JPG
    IMG-1955.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 263
Back
Top Bottom