Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker Project Bike - Finished for now - Aug 20, 2010

valvesprung said:
I know wrapped pipes have almost become too common place for comfort, but really feel it would help set off the wicked vintage vibe the tanks has...jsut a thought. I love the pefect chrome pipes, but the classic offwhite wrap might really pull it together.

FWIW, e exhaust wrap has just come about in the past roughly ten years. There was nothing like that before probably about 1990 in bikes for sure.

In the 60s guys ran chrome or black most often, but a few would get "out there" a bit and use VHT white, like the car guys used to put on their headers.

That's not to say that exhaust wrap isn't a good thing, just pointing out that it isn't vintage or classic in the normal sense. It's just a trend that came about recently, mostly due to the fact that the stuff works great for the thing it is intended for - an insulator. It both holds in exhaust heat, which helps keep the velocity of the exhaust up, which is good for cylinder scavenging, and it provides insulation should you have your leg close to or inadvertently touch the exhaust. Guys found it great for street rods where they may work in and about hot exhausts and guys on bikes found it good when pipes are close to legs, like a high pipe or shotguns (on brats and customs) would.

When wrapped well, exhaust wrap works nicely. As for a true classic look, chrome or black painted exhausts are what actually were used.

Black pipes would look good on that 360 much as it did on my brother's 305 Street/tracker:

cl77_ft_05.jpg

Jethro said:
First post here, just became a member but I've been lurking around here for some time. I have a question for you Woody. Are those tires on the original rims and if so do they seem sturdy on the corners; it seems like they would want to roll a bit if they were the stock rims. I think you did a great job. Thanks for sharing your creation.

The current Dunlop K70s work fairly well which having a serious real vintage tire. The rubber compound makes them work fairly well for what they are - a course block tire. I ran through a few of them on my SR500 back in the 90s. Still available. Modern tread designs are better though, A lot of guys are running the Bridgestone Spitfire S15s now, dual compound reasonable priced and not a bad looking tread.

Woody, my compliments on the patenaed paint. Gives a great look. A fun play bike I'm sure. I'm betting it gets some serious attention from a lot of motorcyclists out there. I know it would catch my eye over all the chromed out bolt on bikes out at any bike night or show.

Hey Woody... I know it's been a while since you last posted and not sure if you even check your profile, but I am about to lower the front end of my CL350 and noticed your thread. A buddy who owns a machine shop said he can do it in a day and have them back for install. He did ask if there is anything else you had done besides shorten the rods 1.5 inches such as cut the springs, etc., etc. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!
Ivan

IvansScramblerCafe said:
Hey Woody... I know it's been a while since you last posted and not sure if you even check your profile, but I am about to lower the front end of my CL350 and noticed your thread. A buddy who owns a machine shop said he can do it in a day and have them back for install. He did ask if there is anything else you had done besides shorten the rods 1.5 inches such as cut the springs, etc., etc. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!
Ivan

I'm sure you've been done with this for a while now, but I haven't been on the forum for months. I did shorten the springs by 1" to add 1/2" of additional preload. Hope you figured that out.

- Woody

rossbob14 said:
Quick question, are you running baffles in your pipes or are they strait? If you are, what baffles?

There are 12" baffles (Swiss cheese type) cut down to 10" inserted in the pipes.

geohaydook said:
Hey,
New Member here. Where did you find those exhaust tips. I've searched the web, but cant find them.
Thanks, Dave

Those tips were on the bike when I got it. I think they were something available in the 70's but not now. I'm lucky to have them.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom