Wider Tire Widths

Deli Sandwich

What tire widths are possible with the stock rims.
I want to run 400/18s front and rear, but I'm curious on what will actually fit.
How do you determine the rim width, when there are tires already mounted?

Im referring back to this thread, http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6211.0
because it's basically the same questions I have. Except I'll be running Avons or Cokers instead of the Firestones. SoCal freeways have grooved lanes, that make the Firestones a swerving nightmare.

240trainee said:
Ok, so I've decided which direction I want to go with tires, and I was looking for some help.

I have a CJ360 currently, with stock size 3.00x18, 3.50x18 stagger. I want to run bigger tires, namely firestone old race replicas. I don't know how much bigger I can go with both the bike, and on stock size rims. I'm thinking 4.00x18, 4.50x19 stagger.

i.e. these bikes.

372.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

280.jpg

Wondering if anyone has done this/ knows something about motorcycle tire sizing I don't. Which isn't hard, lol

p.s. Should this also be the Brat forum?

lace a rear 16 in HD rim on that sucker and you can fatten it up in front as much as you can fit on the rim. in the rear you have to check you spacing on the chain and swing arm

GRAVEL CREW! the reason i'm not building a cafe ;) haha

I am still confused on tire size stuff too. JRK i'm not sure what you are talking about... can you dumb it down any? haha

Whiteflag,
JRK is saying to lace a Harley Davidson 16" rim to fit bigger tires, but the rear may have clearance issues with the chain or swing arm.

JRK,
Im trying not to build a whole new wheel. Doing as much on a budget as possible.
A 16 would be amazing for front and rear, but not worth the few hundred bucks, when I could just run two 18s i have now. As long as the tires wont be an issue with the stock rim width.

hahaha, wow. after re-reading JRK's post it makes more sense. I wasn't reading it as 16inch. i was reading it as "in HD" and not understanding it. thanks Deli for helping me out.

sorry guys... i was talking about a 16in Harley davidson drop center rim. they sell the spoke kits all over the place. look sick when done right... you can even lace a dyna 19 in front ring as well and run up to a 110/90/19 on that rim... hell i am running a 120/70/19 v rod front tire on mine

What's the spoke count on the HD 16" rims? I've got a bobber project that'll start in November adn 16's would look neato..

Deli Sandwich said:
A 16 would be amazing for front and rear, but not worth the few hundred bucks, when I could just run two 18s i have now. As long as the tires wont be an issue with the stock rim width.

16s front and rear would look ridiculous. And even a 16 rear only looks good on a lowdown hardtail bobber. Cafes with a 16 rear and 18 or 19 front also look silly, the rear tire would need a very high profile to keep the bike sitting level. I know there are a lot of Carpy fans here but I'm not a fan of his 16 rear wheeled 750.

33319140014_large.jpg

Swagger said:
What's the spoke count on the HD 16" rims? I've got a bobber project that'll start in November adn 16's would look neato..
I have a 19 in front tire on my cafe... depends how you slam the stance of the bike for how it looks...

DrJ said:
16s front and rear would look ridiculous. And even a 16 rear only looks good on a lowdown hardtail bobber. Cafes with a 16 rear and 18 or 19 front also look silly, the rear tire would need a very high profile to keep the bike sitting level. I know there are a lot of Carpy fans here but I'm not a fan of his 16 rear wheeled 750.

Luckily this is a bobber thread and NOT a cafe thread. Ridiculous is probably not a word that should be thrown around by someone with your avatar........ ;) HA!

16's and 'Stones would look spectacular on Troybilt's stretchjob.....hmmm....what to do with this leftover 450....... ;D

16s and 19s is what comes with the 750s, so you work with what you got sometimes.

im a fan of 16s and 16s, and slamming the bike down to the ground.

btw, i think i answered my own question.
my real concern was 1.85" width rim with a 4.00.

the wrenchmonkees seem to not care about that have fitted fatter tires on skinny rims.

examples:
Standard hubs and rims, stainless steel spokes.
1.85 x 19 front - 2.15 x 18 rear.
Firestone Deluxe Champion 4.00 x 19 front - 4.50 x 18 rear.

monk10_01.jpg

Standard wheels. 1.85 x 19 front - 2.15 x 18 rear.

monk09_01.jpg

Standard cast alloy rims, 1.85 x 19 front - 2.15 x 18 rear.

XS500_01.jpg

Standard cast alloy rims, 1.85 x 19 front - 2.15 x 18 rear.
Avon 4.00 x 19 front - 4.00 x 18 rear.

monk05_01.jpg

and last but not least, the most modified it seems, but looks amazing. the 16s and 16s.

Spoke wheels, steel covers. 3.50 x 16 front - 3.50 x 16 rear.
Coker classic 5.00 x 16 front - 5.00 x 16 rear.
WM stainless steel spindles, bushes, bolts, shims, spacers.

monk11_01.jpg

Theyve been a huge inspiration on what im getting at with my 450.

I'd bet it's got a lot to do with the tall cross section of the 'stones vs. a more modern tire design.

Every one of those bikes looks seriously badass. Seriously.

Sucks that aside from Dunlop K70 that there are very few cheap options available to recreate that style.

Does the CB350/360/400/450 of the 70's all have similar wheel widths?

I know the Avon's come in a 4.00-18 but I can't seem to find anything besides the Coker-Firestones in 4.00-19.

Deli Sandwich said:
and last but not least, the most modified it seems, but looks amazing. the 16s and 16s.

Spoke wheels, steel covers. 3.50 x 16 front - 3.50 x 16 rear.
Coker classic 5.00 x 16 front - 5.00 x 16 rear.
WM stainless steel spindles, bushes, bolts, shims, spacers.

monk11_01.jpg

Sure, I agree this bike looks pretty damn cool but I'll bet if you see in person, you'll realize it's too low. The suspension was lowered by at least 3 inches, maybe even 4, front and rear which would create some handling problems, mostly cornering clearance. I know this because I lowered mine about 1.5 inches front and rear and it doesn't cornier as well as stock. Lowering it that much with those little 16s would just be too impractical and would be mostly a styling exercise.

Hmmm...good info PJ. Didn't realize the CB360 was so narrow.

Guess that means I'll start saving for a set of wider 18's front and rear. Added benefit of the 18" up front would be being able to fit a larger tire in the stock fender.

i emailed the Wrenchmonkees and this was the reply.

Hi Deli Sandwich.

4.00 is normally not a problem on a 1.85 rim, the 4.50 could also work depending on which type of tyre / brand.. Some are made to fit wide rims some to not so wide...

For your CB I would go for 4.50 rear if the rim is 2.15 and 4.00 front....

Remember that the handling doesn´t get better with the beefy tires, but who cares..it looks cool..

Best regards
Per, WM

just the answers i was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom