Gathering things to start a cb350 project...

Deviant1

Over 1,000 Posts
My cafe is almost done now and I've been looking around the garage to see what's next. In a corner I've got a hondamatic750 motor with the top end off and a cb350t motor and carbs. The hondamatic will be a later project as it will require lots of work and skills that I don't have yet. That leaves the 350, it's from a 72 and is supposed to be a good motor (I have no idea). My plan is to take apart the 350 motor, make sure everything is good, and put it back together. I would also do whatever paint/polish on the motor at this stage. Now, I've got rims, brakes, forks, clamps, basically everything I need but a frame.
I don't know about a hardtail, as this is going to be the bike that my wife rides. So I'm lookin to score a cb350/360 frame for me to work on. Are there any other frames that I could throw this motor in with minimal fabrication? As far as build direction I'm thinking about a gravel crew/brat style bike with a large front tire. Anyway, I need to figure out the frame thing and any help there would be greatly appreciated. This will only be my second build, my first bobber, and the first time I'll get into the innards of an engine, so I need help. I'll start a build thread as soon as I get more figured out and something started.
Thanks in advance for the help here!
Alex

The 350 and 360 frames have different motor mounts. If you want minimal work, get a 350 frame.

Definately minimal work wanted. Thanks for info Dr. J I didn't know the mounts were different. So a 350t frame is what I need. I'm gonna go see about finding any close to me, as shipping will probably be price prohibitive. I forgot to mention that this build is also going to have to be done on the cheap. Like extremely cheap. I'd like to have less than a grand in the bike when it's done, but we'll see.

Did you forget about the TX500 build attemp, or are you not counting that due to the fact that the started bike was hopeless and missing too many parts!

Yeah... the tx was an abortion! And it doesn't count as a build... just as an abortion!
Well, I found a frame and swingarm in Mass. for 25 bucks. I've got to discuss shipping with the seller... I just think it's gonna be too much.
Just sent him a message.

Definately extend the swingarm, but not too much, maybe just a couple or three inches. I want the tire to be right behind the rider's ass! I'm going to see if the seller will ship me the rear wheel with the frame. It's in the picture but not included in the sale. Then I'll have two cb350 rear wheels, and I can run one on the front. Aside from the frame and some wiring, I think I've got everything I'll need for the build. I'm going to cut down one of my front fenders for a little stubby fender on the rear. Maybe this early goldwing fender I've got. It's ribbed with a flared mudguard.

Okay, so I signed up to a different forum, hondatwins.net, and was asking around about a frame... and I found a whole bike in memphis! extra cheap!
My wife's family is from memphis, so I'm working on getting the dude the money, and having someone run over and pick up the bike. And it almost runs! Just needs some carb work. So my motor just became a parts motor! When I get the bike I ought to have all of the parts I need for my build. As soon as the bike is in my hands a big arse thread shall be begun! Here's a pic of her as she sits now... way up in memphis!
mycb350.jpg

And here's something I'm using as inspiration right now... Mine will be very different of course, and this isn't even a cb350... but you get the idea!
inspiration1.jpg

Nice clean bike to get things started. I love the gravelcrew style bikes. Makes my heart skip a beat. Should be fun to watch.

I think you could make sure everything is good before taking apart the motor... there are ways to tell if it's okay without tearing it apart and making a lot of extra work for yourself... you probably want to tear into it if and only if things are not in good condition

That's the plan for this bike. Now that I've got motor that's turning and not leaking oil, I'm not getting into the engine in this one if I don't have to. I may rebuild the other 350 motor I have just to learn more..

Back
Top Bottom