carburetor questions

rrjlind

I've never had floats that look like this, will carb cleaner clean them? Because I'm not having any luck so far. Also, what parts need to be changed? I'm not sure I want to buy 4 carb rebuild kits if i dont have to
thanks

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 425
Are they solid foam or hollow plastic?

Also, for the metal (brass and aluminum), try boiling them in lemon juice. Only takes about 10 minutes and they come out sparkling clean. I will warn you in advance about the smell though... it's about the funkiest damn thing I've ever smelled.

they are plastic. Thanx for the lemon juice idea, Sonreir, i have a turkey fryer i can fire up to boil 'em in! I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy new seals for the float bowls if i try to remove the seals from them. now, this plastic... how they hell am i going to clean that? do i need to?

i'm not sure whats available in your area, but mine looked very similar when i tore them apart, i use berrymans b12 chemtool for almost anything carb related. works great for old gas residue and removing anything stuck on i use a small brass brush, or stiff bristle plastic brush, most auto parts stores sell them in a 3 pack. just don't get that b12 on any diaphragms they will melt! when finished my floats only had minor stains left, but no build up

hope that helps

also if your carb boots are too stiff i just read a great trick to revive them is wintergreen oil and xylol solvent solution to soak them, from what i have read, very impressive results and much cheaper than replacing them. i believe there is a write up on here and sohc4.net if you want to look it up

Back
Top Bottom