The long ride of a few misfits

cyclefreak

Over 1,000 Posts
For years now I have wanted to do a cross country type ride. However reponsibities, commitments, job, blah blah blah, have kept me from it. Fimally, no more procrastinating, spring of 2014 it is happening!!! My first thought was to ride from home (Birmingham) out to California. But after a suggestion from Kiley and thinking it over, I am headed North. Kiley and Neal have signed up to go along with me, and if things work out maybe Thomas as well (Kanticoy, Ahamay056, & Clutch48). After hearing the roll call list of this crew my wife promptly named this ride, as noted in the title of this thread. But she will probably come up with a new name for it since she and Kiley's wife have already shown interest in participating with us on their own bikes.
So anyway, the plan is to leave Birmingham. Stay pretty much east of the Mississippi river, avoid interstates and major/congested highways, and wind up in Toronto. Yes Tim we are coming to invade your turf. I am still in the early stages of planning the route, and would love some input from you guys. I am sure we be riding through Tennesse and part of the Carolinas on HWY 64/74 along the Ocoee and Nantahala rivers. Going through West VA. is a must, as Troy has graciously offered a place for us to shower/crash for a night. Oh yeah, did I mention we are planning on staying away from hotels? Camping gear is coming with us! Being so close to Troys place and the fact that there are so many DTT'ers in the area we want to have a beer with, Pittsburgh is another spot on the map we will be going through. And so on, up to Canada. As we want to find as many cool roads to ride as we can, the return trip hopefully will be at least slightly different.
So now that you know the jist of it, I need some help planning the details of the route from any of you familiar with the area. If you know of any great roads to ride/explore that are somewhat along the way that will eventually get us to Toronto and back, please chime in. We are planning as of now to make this about a 10 day trip so we should have enough time to ride without worrying about taking the most direct route. And of course if any of you want to meet up with us along the way we would love to have you join us for as much of the trip as you would like. So come on, let me here about the best roads between Birmingham and Toronto.

Sounds INCREDIBLE! If possible, we'd love to join. We'll have to play it by ear for that.

In the meantime, our doors are open. We live in western NC, about a 6 hr cage ride from Bham. You're all welcome to crash & shower at our place on the way there and/or back. We have ample camping space or you're welcome to find a spot in the house.
Fyi... My cooking makes tummies happy. ;)

Thanks for the offer Jen. We just might take you up on that!!! And it would be great to have you and Mr E show us a few roads around NC. If we end up near Ashville , I am sure Hwy 9 will get traveled on.

cyclefreak said:
Thanks for the offer Jen. We just might take you up on that!!! And it would be great to have you and Mr E show us a few roads around NC. If we end up near Ashville , I am sure Hwy 9 will get traveled on.
Sounds like a plan! We live on 9. There's a beautiful route through Chimney Rock, up to Black Mountain.

Wow!! That's HUGE!! 8) 8)

Well Tim... we'd best start planning a parr-tayyy!! ;D

If you guys come though middle TN you've got a place to stay and wrench and drink 8)

This sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see how it all unfolds. I'd offer a pit-stop here in central OH, but our property is under contract with a developer and will likely be a mess by then, and we may be in the middle of our second move in 18 months :(

Would be cool to have folks who can't do the whole trip to hook up and ride for a short stint . . .

Sonic, thanks for the invite. Would definitely like to have a beer with you. And buckeye absolutely, want to encourage anyone that wants to tag along to do so!

If you come through MI on your way back down, I have space to sleep the group and a pool that will probably freeze you to death around then.

If you can swing into the maritimes at all there is epic roads all the way to NS. We have a few that rival the dragon for turns and best part is 0 traffic at most times. It is a little out of the way though but if you come through you have a place to stay at my house. and I may have places you can crash with family and friends. You guys could look into tentspace on ADV I hear it is a great way to find spots to pitch tents and meet other riders. If you can't make it to the Maritimes you should at least look into the roads in Quebec near Montreal. I will find the link to a ride report I read recently that has me wanting to plan a ride in the area soon. There are a lot of very twisty mountain roads there. If I can I will also shoot over to meet you guys on the way to or from TO.

If yinz show your faces in Pittsburgh, I swear to christ that I'll line ya up and knock ya down like damned bowling pins. Haha...

This is rad fellas! My apartment isn't real big but the old wood floors sure are comfy. Ask me how I know ;) . Anyhow, keep me in the loop! The R5 should be back together by then. Maybe I'll join ya on the Pitt-Toronto leg of the trip.

Re: Re: The long ride of a few misfits

SONICJK said:
This route is getting more and more circuitous :D
Well said sir.
Mike, we won't need much room. Kiley is gonna be riding his BMW, most of the group can probably fit and sleep in its saddle bags.
Thanks, for all of the invites and suggestions so far, keep em coming!

Sounds like a blast. Y'all are always welcome at the CCRider house if you pass through my part of NC. Would love to ride a few miles with you if nothing else.

CC

Subscribed.

This sounds like a dream trip. I imagine you will rarely be wanting for a place to crash with all the DTT brothers around.

I would love to ride with you guys part of the way when you are in the area.

The places I usually go up in the corner of SC are Caesars Head and this place:

Camp Greenville's "Pretty Place"
5252705341_449414e603_z.jpg

END OF LINE

Flugtechnik said:
Subscribed.

This sounds like a dream trip. I imagine you will rarely be wanting for a place to crash with all the DTT brothers around.

I would love to ride with you guys part of the way when you are in the area.

The places I usually go up in the corner of SC are Caesars Head and this place:

Camp Greenville's "Pretty Place"
5252705341_449414e603_z.jpg

END OF LINE

Wow... spectacular! 8) 8)

Re: Re: Re: The long ride of a few misfits

cyclefreak said:
Well said sir.
Mike, we won't need much room. Kiley is gonna be riding his BMW, most of the group can probably fit and sleep in its saddle bags.
Thanks, for all of the invites and suggestions so far, keep em coming!

We will see who is hating on the beemer 500 miles into this trip while I am sipping champagne and smoking a cigar on my lay-z-boy bench seat!

Back
Top Bottom