What keeps you motivated?

Soltesjoey350

21 years young, 1972 Honda CB350.
In all honesty, people lose motivation all the time on their builds, and essentially give up on the bike or car they once had the desire to build.

I have a couple old vw's that soak up all my time and money, and my fiancé gets annoyed every once in a while. So that doesn't help with the motivation aspect. Also then all the normal BS that goes on in someone's life always gets in the way!

SO....
How do you guys stay motivated to keep trucking along when you're low on cash, annoyed by life's normal bullshit, etc? Just curious to see what people have to say. ::)

Joey

Do the stuff that costs little or no money until more money shows up.(Cleaning, adjusting, what have you.) That way, when more money does show up, it's easier to fall in love with the piece of shit all over again. ;D

I try to keep the end result in mind. where I wanna ride and who I wanna ride with. when I begin to lose my drive to do something that thought gets me back in the yard turning wrenches.

When money is short (as in, the majority of the time) I make a part. No matter how small or seemingly inconsequential, fabbing up a small SOMETHING myself without spending a bunch of cash always gets me excited again.
As far as time... I just suck it up and deal with the pissed off wife. I know she'll never really understand the passion I have for this crap so... I just do it and deal with the occasional yelling match ;)

that is a good question..................................................

I currently have 3, 4, 5 projects going and its hard to keep track, I lose interest quite often. Never have the money!

What motivates me is these forums, especially when peeps respond to your posts to help.

Where I am, I have no family and friends that have the same passions as I. So, I depend on people here and my other SOHC project, helping and motivating me.

Hope this helps..............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never take it all apart. Manage project creep. Dummy fit things. Manage your expectations and that therapy time in the shop will not turn into a basket case or a frustration session.

Never underestimate the power you have nor underestimate the skill that someone else possesses to ensure you will be happy with your project. In other words, know when to pay someone for the harder things, but know when to tackle them yourself.

I am the type that gets hyper motivated and focused so I don't lose motivation. I 4hink about my project every 10 seconds. Unfortunately I have the time and money issues that everyone has so I drive myself crazy thinking in circles lol

took me over two and a half years to get my bike road worth due to money being tight, as well as only getting the occasional weekend when I could even be in the same city as the garage. Shes nowhere near pretty but every time i twist the throttle around town i get quite a small on my face. These old girls ride a lot different then the new bikes and have a lot of ..character. Once you take it for the first spin I think that s when the addictive motivation kicks in. Patience is key these bikes didnt age or decay in a single day, so it takes more than one to get them back together.

Money is always an issue with my projects, and most likely always will be, but I honestly like it that way. I feel it helps to focus you, in that I just don't run out and buy all the parts I need, I have to actively search for cheap parts or make my own. I like making things and learning new techniques, so I use the lack of funds as a motivation. I can't afford to buy fancy parts, pre-made seats and tanks, etc. so I have to try and make as much as I can or find parts to clean up or alter a bit. I can't afford professional paint jobs either so I always rattle can it, but even though they are not perfect, I am definitely more proud of it than if someone else painted it. My father is like this as well, and I guess I learned this approach from him.

Time is sometimes an issue with me but you got to steal it whenever you can. The majority of the work I did on my MB5 was during my lunch hour. I couldn't wait to get home each day, highlight of the day for sure. Currently doing the same thing with my CB350. Spend the morning at work figuring out what I'll do over lunch :) I'm also lucky in that my wife doesn't mind how much time I spend out there at all, complains sometimes about the smell but that's about it.

The thing that really keeps me motivated is these forums. I notice when I visit dotheton once a day, it's easy to stay motivated on my project! And if I visit thesamba (which is a old aircooled vw forum) I stay motivated on my vws too!

I'm very greatful for the creators of such forums to give me motivation and also to the guys with knowledge that help me out with my questions that can seem pretty stupid at times. For a fact Sonreir has helped me a multiple amount of times with electrical questions, and has gave me the confidence to tackle some wiring by myself. Also a couple other guys have helped me with other questions in which I'm very grateful for too!

Joey

The sun is what keeps me motivated. Knowing my bike is in about 100 pieces right now and I can't do anything until its warm enough to work outside.

Once that happens I'll be spending tons of time out there.. Its a way for me to forget about daily worries.

Bought a rider, the project is back to "for fun" status. 3 years of all wrench and no ride was far too long. Of course, now that I have a runner, "Heap Big Chief Pain in the Ass" (my wife) wants me to fix her 800 Intruder... and her CL100 tracker project.

I like to take a 10lbs sledge to my thumb...gets me going in the morning

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 193
I will say though, that like everything else in life, motivation will ebb and flow, its only natural. I think its important to have other interests outside of motorcycles, helps to keep you balanced and you can find motivation and inspiration everywhere not just bikes.

Or you could just whack your thumb like Desmo does :)

....so motivated right now ....its awesome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom