A FUCKING HUGE RANT

beachcomber said:
I hear what you're all saying - old dog very new tricks .

yep, bought one of those external disc / backup thingies 2 years ago - and forgot all about it half way through last year !!

My beef with MS as to leaving some of us in the crap [ those who can't afford the latest wurzlegrommet ] - is that the protection ended abruptly - albeit with ample warning. Hey it's a good job we're not customising computers instead of bikes eh ? Imagine if you couln't fix your Bonnie or Dommie AFTER 12 YEARS OR SO !

Oh yes, yesterday got even better - I started resolving the problem first thing and worked on it all day - forgot to take my meds and virtually collapsed with all the excitement by 10.00pm.

Just a new photo server required now - I'm too nervous to go back to Photobucket.

Microsoft has been talking about ending XP for close to 5 or 6 years by now so if you missed it well.. Whose to blame. Second chances are your still running IE.. Why? Chrome/Firefox is much more secure and reliable.

Windows XP can only run up to version 8 of IE which is super buggy and version 11 is now out again another reason to NOT run IE.

The only rant you can be ranting about is your ability to continue to run an old OS and not want to udpate.

As stated even Linux would be far more secure and less headaches.

I'm sure a lot of BC's irritation stems from knowing he should have been backing-up his data. :-[
I often get more pissed at myself than anyone else. ::)

I don't mean to hijack but hows the best way to transfer from a computer with xp to a computer with Vista ? TIA

pterodactyl said:
I don't mean to hijack but hows the best way to transfer from a computer with xp to a computer with Vista ? TIA

Save the files you want (to a USB drive or thumb drive or something like that), then wipe the XP computer and start fresh.

I'd skip Vista and go to 7, here's a nice picture guide for migrating : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179/migrate-xp-to-windows-7-with-easy-transfer-and-a-usb-drive/

Thanks! Yeah someone gave me a computer with Vista already on it. I didn't care for it before because I was used to using XP. But I'm thinking about trying it now that Microsoft isn't going to support Xp any longer

IMNSHO (just made that up, I feel special) linux is the way to go. I'm not saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, there are a lot of downsides (like no autocad/3d modeling for me), but it is hugely backward compatible, just loosing 386 compatibility a couple years ago (in most distros.. you could actually still run it with some), and overall I've had fewer issues with linux then I've had with windows. couple of examples..
dell laptop my sister gave, with a fresh windows xp install it would go max cpu and freeze after ~3mins running, ubuntu worked perfect, and the laptop still works fine 6 years and ~70000kms of travel later.
brand new spectre xt laptop, windows 7, windows stopped booting after ~2 months for no apparent reason, just pops up and says I need to recover it. Linux, still going strong.
last example.. ipod touch after about 1.5 years of owning it apple stopped supporting it, ~6 months later could no longer get new apps for it..

So, for crappy, failure prone, slow, bloated software go microsoft, for complete abandonment every couple years go apple. When one of the aforementioned fails, put linux on it, and be annoyed when you can't run that program you need/want!

Cheers

firebane said:
Microsoft has been talking about ending XP for close to 5 or 6 years by now so if you missed it well.. Whose to blame. Second chances are your still running IE.. Why? Chrome/Firefox is much more secure and reliable.

Windows XP can only run up to version 8 of IE which is super buggy and version 11 is now out again another reason to NOT run IE.

The only rant you can be ranting about is your ability to continue to run an old OS and not want to udpate.

As stated even Linux would be far more secure and less headaches.

Hey, no need to heap shit on me - I freely admit I am NOT of this computer age - and - guilty as charged.

Here in the UK MS have only recently alerted users to the upcoming abandoning of XP - and nowhere was there a specific warning that we would be immediately wide open to virus attack. After all - I have Malwarebytes, AVG, and whatever other shit I've bought to protect my PC.

As to not wanting to update - you missed the original point, I am a pensioner with an income of $120 a week. Try building 3 bikes AND buying the latest gadget / must have electronic gizzmo on that amount - + petrol, insurance, road tax etc.,etc.

Yes 4Eyes - beating myself with an old Reynolds chain as we speak - I DO feel stupid not backing up my work regularly, but like I said, old dog, new tricks.

Firebane - IE, Chrome, Firefox, Linux,super buggy - NOT a fucking clue what you're talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we all know who is to blame, but what do I know about undersea airships. - like I said - guilty as charged.

I'd much rather know about undersea airships than about computers, if that's any consolation.

fury413rb said:
you ran a 16mhz computer for 25 years? I had one and it had 4mb of memory...

LOL! No, but I wish I would have kept it.

Mac IIx in '85
Quadra 950 in '93
PowerBook G4 in '02
Mac mini in 2010

I've always had a "work" computer so my home computer doesn't get upgraded much. I'm currently using a brand new Power Book i7... so sweet.

cosworth said:
You could have just installed linux. You don't use the puter for much than surfing it appears. And it does that just fine.

Free. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Good point, Cosworth. If you're a little savy, a Linux distribution is the way to go for simple things like surfing. OpenOffice is a decent alternative to the Office suite and most digital cameras will tolerate the OS fine. (Sounds like he uses it for photos quite a bit)

-Deek

I've had a Dell M70 since 2005 running Windows XP... It was a 5k computer because of the video card and ram. Amazingly enough it still cooks with gas using Solidworks so yeah, I'm not running out any time soon to buy a new puter, that's for sure!
So for now, I just disable the radio and continue to use the computer for Solidworks and that's it. :(
I don't believe Solidworks will run on Linux and I've been told that the ole M70 won't work on Win7 because the hardware isn't up to snuff. Can any computer guru confirm that last part about the hardware?

BC, I am still on XP at home too cause I am too broke to do anything at the moment. as for pic sharing DTT has a gallery you can now use for your photos etc. thanks to Tim and I would guess it is safer than the others out there full of crap adds etc.

Maritime said:
BC, I am still on XP at home too cause I am too broke to do anything at the moment. as for pic sharing DTT has a gallery you can now use for your photos etc. thanks to Tim and I would guess it is safer than the others out there full of crap adds etc.

Yes,

tried to get registered last night - without success !!!! If only we still had a six year old in our family ! I'll persevere.

Most folks stick with Windows because it's all they know and all they've ever had. You pay for the operating system, you pay for the hardware, you pay for the software. You pay, pay, pay.

I switched my 71yr old mom and my 75 yr old dad to Linux a few years ago and trust me, we are ALL happier for it. I don't have to rebuild it every time she clicks on "infectmycomputer.exe" anymore or just accidentally hits a site serving up viruses and malware.

Under the hood, Linux is very different than Windows. In the drivers seat, it's very very similar. Now and then she'll complain when she can't install some 5$ cdrom full of old shitty games but she's learned to find better games online. Cameras work, multifunction printers work, etc... and it's FREE and much more immune to most of today's computer threats.

I'm betting you have some computer shops at a university nearby that can help you. At least they could let you try it out and walk you through the differences so you can see for yourself. They can also help you rescue data from your old drive. Worth a try.

XP didn't become a virus target overnight, it has always been a vulnerability nightmare.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

Ok guys, I just got some interesting info today from an IT guy... 2 things he told me, don't even bother trying to update to 7, the old computer will be a dog if it doesn't have at least 4gigs ram and a quad processor...
Now for the good one!! If you plan to keep using XP, shut off automatic updates immediately!
There was an inside leak that Microsoft plans to finish off all the XP machines by installing an update that doesn't exist, basically rendering the computer useless because it will get caught in a loop that you can't recover.
Bull shit or not, my advise would be to shut off auto updates today... We know they will never be anymore useful one's so nothing to lose

canyoncarver said:
I'm betting you have some computer shops at a university nearby that can help you. At least they could let you try it out and walk you through the differences so you can see for yourself. They can also help you rescue data from your old drive. Worth a try.
What university uses Linux? I've worked for six, and none of them use it. South Carolina talked about it in the nineties, but they never fully integrated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deviant said:
What university uses Linux? I've worked for six, and none of them use it. South Carolina talked about it in the nineties, but they never fully integrated it.

I said/meant computer shops near a University, not necessarily the University itself. The two big universites here in town both use Linux extensively.

Walms said:
Ok guys, I just got some interesting info today from an IT guy... 2 things he told me, don't even bother trying to update to 7, the old computer will be a dog if it doesn't have at least 4gigs ram and a quad processor...
Now for the good one!! If you plan to keep using XP, shut off automatic updates immediately!
There was an inside leak that Microsoft plans to finish off all the XP machines by installing an update that doesn't exist, basically rendering the computer useless because it will get caught in a loop that you can't recover.
Bull shit or not, my advise would be to shut off auto updates today... We know they will never be anymore useful one's so nothing to lose

I doubt this very highly.
That would be a massively moronic move on their part. Can you imagine the PR nightmare of a computer/software company intentionally killing computers to force an upgrade?
They make make shitty software but they aren't that stupid.

SONIC. said:
I doubt this very highly.
That would be a massively moronic move on their part. Can you imagine the PR nightmare of a computer/software company intentionally killing computers to force an upgrade?
They make make shitty software but they aren't that stupid.

Agreed. I"m sure it was joked about at MS internally but publicly they wouldn't do this.

Back
Top Bottom