'77 Yamaha RD400 "Jigsaw Puzzle"

Thanks. I feel like a stole them, but the seller was awesome and even offered help in finding anything else I might need for the (re)build.
Someone else mentioned having them "cc'd" before installing them, so I'm checking into that now.

Re: '77 Yamaha RD400 "Jigsaw Puzzle"

Send them to Chuck. Otherwise from what I've heard there more bling than anything.
I think I may know the guy you got them from, he's a really good dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Redbird said:
No, I had to remove all bushings and bearings before coating.
Getting them out was a bit of a chore, but with the way this bike is being rebuilt, it seemed silly not to install new ones anyway.

How did you replace the cushions?

To get the old ones out, I basically ripped the centers out, and then drove a wedge between the outers and the wheel until they collapsed enough to pull them out with vicegrips.

IMG_4921_zpsanaxosjj.jpg

The new ones just tap right in with a hammer.

Redbird said:
Thanks. I feel like a stole them, but the seller was awesome and even offered help in finding anything else I might need for the (re)build.
Someone else mentioned having them "cc'd" before installing them, so I'm checking into that now.

That process usually involves installing the spark plug, turning the head upside down, and then covering it with some plexiglass with holes drilled over each chamber. You use a syringe to add liquid into each chamber and make note of how many CCs each chamber holds. Ideally, they will be the same.

Do those DG heads have the removable combustion chamber? They look like the big chamber lower compression version? I liked the removable chambers, so easy to make new ones or modify them (had a friend racing production class long long time ago) TZ 350 carbs and pipes made it bit of a cheater but was still 'streetable' Police report from late 80's found about 90% of racing RD400's were stolen vehicles at a race meeting they 'raided '

Not much, but some progress. Mostly just blasted/painted a few more pieces. Handlebars came in, so they got mounted.
IMG_6225_zps6ojwzpn8.jpg

Re: '77 Yamaha RD400 "Jigsaw Puzzle"

I have them on my GL1000, and put them on the '79 CB750F that I rebuilt over the winter. Back in '75 I bought a brand new RD400, but told the dealer to go down to Honda and get CB400F bars to put on it (original Yamaha bars felt like a dirt bike to me). They were very similar low-rise bars. I've also seen them very similar sold as "Euro" bars.

A little more movement on the Jigsaw Puzzle. Bro was over for Good Friday and got the bug to start on her again.
I pulled the engine covers this weekend. They'll be at powdercoat this afternoon. Projected to have them back by the weekend.
IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

The plan is to get the rest of the engine "prettied up" over the week. Hopefully it'll make it into the frame soon.
And the obligatory How She Sits pic...
IMG_7580.jpg

Get that thing going Chris! You'll be getting into mosquito season there pretty soon so I know your neighbors will appreciate the "public service" fogging that you'll be doing!

:D
I have a pic somewhere of my DS7 sitting next to a Mosquito Control truck :p

Edit: Found it...
0505001434.jpg

Back
Top Bottom