2 stroke oil in gas in 4 stroke engine: myth?

tahitianrider

Been Around the Block
Hi,
So I met another rider the other day, which also had many bikes, classic and newer ones, etc. like me and he told me something I had never heard off before but it actually seems that multiple people actually does that.
He basically told me that he mixed full synthetic 2 stroke oil in his gas at a very low ratio (200:1) in all of his 4 stroke bikes, whether they are modern, old, fuel injected, carburated... and he told me that he did notice a lot of improvement, engine running smoother, he said he felt more power on smaller cc bikes too...
So I did some research online and found this guy:

https://inspirationmomentsblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/27/2-stroke-oil-in-a-4-stroke-motorcycle/

So it does seems that some people use 2 stroke oil in their 4 stroke bikes... anyone here already tried that?

The guy I met seemed to know a bunch about oil.. he also told me that he uses some silicone "super lubricant" as an additive to his engine oil and that he notice a 10hp power increase on a dyno bench on a NTV650.

I'm just curious

Some bikes already suck oil vapor through the airbox :)...way way back we use to run a tablespoon of castor oil in the fuel, this was for the smell no increase in power!...it did cause issues with the injected bikes...only time we saw any increase in performance was when we went to the local airport and filled up with avgas :D
Us oldies miss the lead they put in fuel, we tend to think that engines need an upper lubricant or they will explode...Its just an old woman's mens tale ;)

You can find evidence for anything you want to believe on the Internet.

Correlation isn’t causation and butt dynos are good for nothing. If adding a small amount of motor oil to fuel made any difference every car, motorcycle, bus, airplane, boat would already be doing it. Truth is, all the highest powered engines run negative pressure crank cases and deliver oil via positive pressure exactly where it needs to go. Premix not required.

+1

So called "Upper Cylinder lubricants" used to be popular about 50 years ago. Modern oils and modern engine designs made them irrelevant a long time ago.

As to super oils, sure some oils work better than others for all sorts of reason, but there is no way that a change of oil made a 10hp difference to an NV650.

wozza said:
Some bikes already suck oil vapor through the airbox :)...way way back we use to run a tablespoon of castor oil in the fuel, this was for the smell no increase in power!...it did cause issues with the injected bikes...only time we saw any increase in performance was when we went to the local airport and filled up with avgas :D
Us oldies miss the lead they put in fuel, we tend to think that engines need an upper lubricant or they will explode...Its just an old woman's mens tale ;)

Haha I'm not old enough to know the smell of leaded fuel ^^

Sav0r said:
You can find evidence for anything you want to believe on the Internet.

Correlation isn’t causation and butt dynos are good for nothing. If adding a small amount of motor oil to fuel made any difference every car, motorcycle, bus, airplane, boat would already be doing it. Truth is, all the highest powered engines run negative pressure crank cases and deliver oil via positive pressure exactly where it needs to go. Premix not required.

Yeah that is for sure. But cost also has an effect, like some the additive like octanes booster or VP racing fuel, it sure is better for high engine, but they won't just sell this at the gas station because it would cost a lot and people just don't need it.

teazer said:
+1

So called "Upper Cylinder lubricants" used to be popular about 50 years ago. Modern oils and modern engine designs made them irrelevant a long time ago.

As to super oils, sure some oils work better than others for all sorts of reason, but there is no way that a change of oil made a 10hp difference to an NV650.
Yeah I was very skeptical about this too... thing is here in France, they are few manufacturer of "super oil additives" that have been around for about 20 years. And reading about people try them, they did notice much difference, I'm not talking about a 10hp which does seems crazy to me too. But less heat in the cranckase, less vibration, and less humidity.

Years ago I was heading to some out of state motocross races and ran out of fuel in my toyota pickup. 2 o'clock in the morning on the dark side of the interstate I quickly took my 5 gallon jug of 32:1 112 octane and dumped 1 gallon in the truck. It got me to the next exit but the truck wasn't any quicker, just smelled better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

I would be afraid of anything added to the oil causing the clutch slip.

Ive heard of adding a cap full of Marvel Mystery to the gas helps prevent sticky slides.

STP was around for years. Slick 50 is another that used to be advertised as another miracle cure, that didn't seem to work as well in the real world as it did on TV. There have been others including all sorts of Moly based lubes and things that supposedly bond at a molecular level with the engine parts. So far I have yet to see any scientific proof that any of them work or are worth the cost.

Modern motors work well with relatively low viscosity oils and that is about as good as it gets.

Race gas with high octane is only a benefit if the ignition is advanced to take advantage of the extra knock resistance. That said, VP U4.4 makes a difference to throttle response even on a regular car or truck but it costs around $20 bucks a gallon. Not that I would ever tip the end of a can of race gas into a street car, but ........

trek97 said:
I would be afraid of anything added to the oil causing the clutch slip.

Ive heard of adding a cap full of Marvel Mystery to the gas helps prevent sticky slides.

Yeah they do advice only to put small amount in motorcycle with wet clucth to prevent slipping.

teazer said:
STP was around for years. Slick 50 is another that used to be advertised as another miracle cure, that didn't seem to work as well in the real world as it did on TV. There have been others including all sorts of Moly based lubes and things that supposedly bond at a molecular level with the engine parts. So far I have yet to see any scientific proof that any of them work or are worth the cost.

Modern motors work well with relatively low viscosity oils and that is about as good as it gets.

Race gas with high octane is only a benefit if the ignition is advanced to take advantage of the extra knock resistance. That said, VP U4.4 makes a difference to throttle response even on a regular car or truck but it costs around $20 bucks a gallon. Not that I would ever tip the end of a can of race gas into a street car, but ........

Yeah I think slick 50 is the US equivalent of what we have in France here, they do not seem to procure the benefits from the ads, except from the lower cranckase temperature, I've video test online (I love the "Project Farm" channel on Youtube) and Slick 50 do reduce engine temp a bit.

I've put a cap full of 2 stroke oil in the gas on my 4 stroke machines before. If nothing else it keeps the ethanol fuel from varnishing as fast.

or......add a capful of either chilli or curry oil to a tank of fuel, it won't make any difference to the performance but will have anyone following you confused as fcuk wondering why they can smell indian food

this also works with diesel stinkbox cars, you can micro-filter used cooking oil and run it straight in place of the normal diesel, works fine, smells great and you save a shedload of cash because most restaurants will happily give you the used oil to get rid of it, otherwise they have to pay to get it taken away
however, in england and australia ( not sure about the US etc ) this is illegal.....by running a vehicle on something other than taxed fuel you are committing tax evasion

spotty said:
or......add a capful of either chilli or curry oil to a tank of fuel, it won't make any difference to the performance but will have anyone following you confused as fcuk wondering why they can smell indian food

this also works with diesel stinkbox cars, you can micro-filter used cooking oil and run it straight in place of the normal diesel, works fine, smells great and you save a shedload of cash because most restaurants will happily give you the used oil to get rid of it, otherwise they have to pay to get it taken away
however, in england and australia ( not sure about the US etc ) this is illegal.....by running a vehicle on something other than taxed fuel you are committing tax evasion

Haha yeah it is the same here in France, illegal, some people did it but they got spotted quickly because of the great smell of fries trhough their exhaust.

teazer said:

I was over in Daytona for Bike-Week and saw an inline 6 running with no sump just the microlube additive. Engine was being driven by an electric motor but what made me stop and question salesperson was when he said it didn't need filling at every oil change as it 'became part of the metal' I've seen research on micro lubes (and many of the claimed micro-lubes that don't work) I know it's possible to get various surface treatments like DLC, etc but I'm not willing to spend $60.00+ to experiment with this stuff. Just remembered I got a business card, it'sPetron Plus Formula 7Guess I'll look it up soon.As for two stroke oilin gas of 4 stroke, I'm another one who's only ever done it when out of gas and it's the only stuff I have on hand. Couldn't notice any difference at all.

Back
Top Bottom