cracked a fin on my jugs

znsullivan88

:'( I was giving the cylinder block a few little (aggravated) taps around the corners to loosen it up a little when I goofed up and popped one of the fins. A small half circle piece cracked off (about 3/4" wide and 1/2" deep). I have a few ideas of how Im going to reattach it I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them? how they fixed it? and long term results.

Pics? You could try and JB weld it, but to do it right you need to have it TIG welded or brazed.

I'll second Cosworth -- one cracked fin won't overheat your engine. But if it's aesthetics, then JB weld and filing or welding and repainting -- just depends on how far you wanna go and what you can tolerate looking at.

So I figured that since the engines gunna look pretty on the inside id like it to look just as nice outside. Here's a photo too. I think I'm just gunna tack it back on there, sand it down, and paint it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410893748.414404.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410893748.414404.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 293
That would be a bitch to weld right. Porosity, cast, oil contamination, etc. etc. It's aluminum and tacking it will just make a big blob or crater.

JB it and then paint the jug.

cosworth said:
That would be a bitch to weld right. Porosity, cast, oil contamination, etc. etc. It's aluminum and tacking it will just make a big blob or crater.

JB it and then paint the jug.
apparently you need mo 'sperience with aluminum

It's my experience with aluminum that led me to say that. The porosity of the cast fins, the oil contamination etc. I'd jb it. It's not structural, with a weld you'd have to fill it a bit and sand it to get it pretty anyway. JB and paint is painless. Welding it is overkill.

The prep on the metal alone, I could beat you to the cooler on the deck by three minutes. Squish, squish, swirl, dab, press, clamp. Walk.

i would just carve it down and smooth it, maybe both sides
make it uneak looking, pop,click glug, fiz

5 - 10 minutes with a die grinder and a carbide bur on both sides to match and it'll look factory fancy. No welding. No epoxies.

i would do just one side so as to fook with the OCD's :D
besides it is IMPOSSIBLE to see both sides at once installed :p

Urine can produce some wonderful patinas, especially when applied with heat. Gustav Stickley was famous for his furniture patinas which were applied through fuming of horse piss. ;)

cracked a fin on my jugs

I gunna give welding it a shot. Gunna try to burn off the oil. Prep with a bur. Even if i get porosity. Just gunna grind it down and paint. Doesn't need to pass X-ray or anything. I'm just iffy on how the jb will react with heating and cooling of the engine.

Back
Top Bottom