project stalled (kinda)

Make sure you have a way to ventilate the workspace. Get most of your gear/benches on wheels so its easy to clean and rearrange when more stuff comes in.

Stanwich said:
Ive been researching the concrete hoping to smooth it myself, i think ill wait till spring though since the temps are dropping below freezing. For now ill probably start planning a good tool bench, Im seeing what i can find around the property for materials. Its 6 acres of canadian forest! Ive also started some yard work to resurrect an old pond that has started to dry up. The neighbour said he used to fish in it , now it just has an old crabby beaver. Its a great watering hole for deer . It gets a little overwhelming with all the projects that need to get done before winter but im sure it will all be worth it when im relaxing in the shop tinkering on the projects. Does anyone have any shop hacks that make there lives easier, its only 14 x 20 so im trying to design ideas that save space.

Dont waste your time on floor levelers, get some 2 part epoxy form a floor contractor that has leftovers and build it up slow like one mm at a time then last coat add/cast a little grip chip into it... As with anything you choose... prep is the key to success. Acid... muriatic acid cut 50/50 with water spray on dry clean floor wearing a correct respirator, start in the back with a fan blowing in fresh air, saturate the concrete as you walk back out, allow the fumes to subside then rinse out real good, then allow to dry for a god week before any paint, leveler or epoxy... for any cement based leveler the best bond is to use portland cement and sand mixed in a slurry and poured on then brushed into the floor dont let it cure/dry too much and get to dumping leveler on.

Build a floor leveler screed: the bigger the wheels the thicker the leveler, shim the axle left or right to level from garage center or high spot.

:eek:

Attachments

• Floor leveler screed.JPG
    Floor leveler screed.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 324
not sure if anyone is still following this thread but in case you are i got a quick question. The motorcycle bay has a manual canopy garage door, the up and over type. Do you know how i can weather seal the edges. On the other garage doors i just added the double fin trim along the sides and top and rubber cushion on the bottom but the door never pushes the seals out like the canopy would.

Stanwich said:
not sure if anyone is still following this thread but in case you are i got a quick question. The motorcycle bay has a manual canopy garage door, the up and over type. Do you know how i can weather seal the edges. On the other garage doors i just added the double fin trim along the sides and top and rubber cushion on the bottom but the door never pushes the seals out like the canopy would.

Tighten up the rail track? the seal should be 1/2" inside the door trim board so when closed the door is pushing against it.

I will take some pics when i get home, The previous owner had no trim around any of the doors. ive been tightening up all the track since the door came off the track on top of me :) Ive finally got it opening and closing smoothly. Every nut and bolt was loose. This is not my dream shop but daddys garage is last on the neccesities list so ill make it work.

here are a couple pics of the door, i also found some old trim lying around i might be able to use.. not much room around the door for this thick of trim though.

Attachments

• IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 297
on a happy note i was able to spend an afternoon in the garage, heres a before and after, there is still alot of work to do but at least the cars will be covered from the snow this week.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 299
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
Gonna just have to pull all that trim off and re wrap that door to get it tight.

Get a pair of these from a metal building supply, one 2/3's down each side will draw that door shut tighter than a mouses ass in a cat barn :eek:

NHS-CB-JambLatch-650.jpg

What Tune-a-fish said, reset the seal for a better fit
And if the bottom seal on the door is still good, you can push 5/8" foam backer rod inside it for a more fuller seal that will last longer

its not so much pulling it in tight as it is filling the gaps on the sides of the door. There is still some side to side wiggle in the door wich im slowly working out... Age has taken its toll. i did talk to our local garage door guy and he offered me a used door with way better insulation. It might be the way i have to go . i hate to throw money into a lost cause

So im cleaning out the garage and think i can finally park my car inside for once. But this dam desk is getting in the way. It didnt occur to me that for the last 2 weeks ive been trying to figure out how to build a bike bench when there was one pissing me off everyday in the next room!... Meet ta da ... My new bike bench!! Well the start of one at least.

Attachments

• IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 323
Thats a goodin... gonna be a tad on the high side for a static table, maybe cut all but 2" off the legs and end to get it in the sweet spot.

I was thinking of cutting off those legs and putting a hinge closer to the middle so the bike can roll up then lift the rear up. or have a hidden shelf that pulls out the end and creates a ramp kind of like on moving trucks.

My thoughts as well, I happen to have alot of leftover bamboo flooring . not enough for a floor but it would be enough for that table top. Alot better looking then the old cracked arborite. , has anyone here ever used bamboo for a workbench ??? im curious to know how it handles.

So after seeing all these bikes on the road and having an insanely early summer here in BC I got my shit together and moved the pieces of my future bike up from my dads shop into my garage. I cant afford to do too much right now with all the house renos but I really needed some inspiration to make working so hard feel worth it. At least ill smile now whenever I go in the garage. The colours aren't final and the handlebars are just for the mock up . But here she is,

Attachments

• 20160509_184905.jpg
    20160509_184905.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 322
Back
Top Bottom